What's new

3 months in.

Having just a few months in with wet shaving using a DE....I've learned a few things. Hope someone else may find this useful...
Switching to an EJ89 was a good move...liking this razor. But having only used the VdH previously means not much experience otherwise. I have/am working through a sampler blade pack and found the VdH blades are not for me. The Lords are OK. The Feathers are alright, definitely sharp. The Astro SP is THE ONE so far.
I just went back from the Feathers to the Astro SP and accomplished BBS with zero bloodshed! As I try a new type of blade, I stick with it for 3-4 blade changes, with 2-3 shaves per blade before changing types again.
My routine:
Hot shower while soaking VdH boar brush.
Using VdH deluxe soap, and getting a great lather....I think!
3 passes, with touch up....very light pressure, always relathering before passes.
Cold rinse then WH. Then Nivea soothing AF cream.
Much later I'll put on some Every Man Jack Post shave lotion.
My wife says I look younger +100

I still want to try some new soap or cream for comparison. Also, I have no complaints on the boar brush, but have never used anything else. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something with the brush...also with the soap or creams.
I guess I need to pick up some samples and enjoy the options.
Great forum that is full of friendly advice that has helped me along as a lurker.
My hope is to offer info another newb may find helpful.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, if your skin feels good and you are happy with your shaves there's nothing else to add. Enjoy!

I think you're missing something with a VDH boar brush. [emoji53] I do not regret tossing mine out. I really like the horse hair brush I just bought by Vie-Long. $20 and does a great job. My Parker synthetic silver tip $25 also works very well. Plus, it's always good to have more than one brush…or more than 5…

Ehhh hallo!! And bienvenido to the best shave in the world! I would try some different soaps and am a fan of the boars. Even the most expensive boar tops at around 30 to 40 (I think, watch some one post a ridiculously priced one after this) So a decent one can be found in 10 to 15 price range. They are a little rough/stiff to start with but soften up very nicely soon after. Regardless wet shaves are best for me and never going back so congrats to you for discovering the same

Welcome to B&B

Good to hear your venture into "real" wet shaving was successful AND that you have decided to join us.

Do not be shy about joining in ANY of the conversations and meeting the members. We're all good friends here on B&B

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Hello and welcome, BT. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Nice post and thanks for sharing your experience.

great post! the VDH soap is actually very good for the price you pay. this looks like about what i have nailed my routine down to as well.

Thanks Gentlemen.
Quick question for those that have tried both....How does a badger brush feel/perform compared to a boar brush?
I know....try it and see! Just curious of what responses are.

Thanks Gentlemen.
Quick question for those that have tried both....How does a badger brush feel/perform compared to a boar brush?
I know....try it and see! Just curious of what responses are.
The boar brush is a great bargain and good brush..but a badger silver tip is like a Mercedes Benz.

Welcome aboard.

I purchased the VDH set when I decided to start this little endeavor too. I did not care for the boar brush, I picked up an Omega ($10 @ Maggard Razors), works great with my hard soaps. SWMBO, bought my a VDH badger, I really like it when using my creams.

So far the VDH Luxury soap is my favorite out of my soaps, I do not have a large selection to compare to though (4 total).

I like buying samples, so you can try some of the more pricey items without buying a full size and discovering it doesn't work for you. Garry's Sample shop and Maggard Razors have good selections on samples.

Sounds like you have a routine that works well for you keep it up and enjoy your shaves.

BT4264

You are definitely in for a treat and a whole lot of AD's. Your post suggests just how I felt with my VDH set. Now 6 months in and several (6) brushes, 5 razors, and at least a dozen soaps and creams to choose from. My wife hates me, she says my shaving stuff is taking too much room on the counter. So I move it to the linen closet, now she complains that I have an entire shelf to myself. Prepare yourself for the Beast that is AD. Lol.

What kind of scents do you enjoy? And are you bowl or face lathering?

Last edited:
Top Bottom