What's new

Razor cleaning: How and how often?

I've been shaving with a DE for about three weeks now. I clean the soap/cream film off my razor after every shave. I take the razor blade out after every shave and gently rinse and brush it off with a toothbrush. I use a toothbrush and hot water to clean off the razor. I then gently towel dry the razor and put the blade back in the razor. Again, i do this after every shave. What do you do? How often do you do it? I'm i being to obsessive about this?

After each shave, I put my razor in alcohol while I clean up the mess around (maybe 2 minutes). I filled a jar with alcohol and use it for that purpose only. After the soak, I wipe the razor with a towel.

Seems to work pretty well.

I loosen the head, and swish in a jar of alcohol for maybe 30 seconds, let it air dry then wipe it on a towel. I gently clean it with dish soap and a tooth brush at every blade change.

Rinse and shake after each shave, a good wash with Dawn dish liquid once every week or two. If it's really gunky I'll get out the scrubbing bubbles.

Scott

After every shave, I rinse the razor, blow it off, and wipe it with a towel. I do the same with the blade. This results in very minimal buildup of soap residue in the razor. I only takes an extra minute or two, and keeps my razors looking like new.
When I do note a buildup of residue, I use a toothbrush and toothpaste to clean it.
I generally rotate razors for each shave, rarely using one for more than a shave or two, but sometimes use the same blade repeatedly depending on a number of factors. I do a similar rotation of blades, some with only a shave or two on them, and some with twenty. I enjoy the variety of the different razors and blades.

I used to remove the blade, rinse blade and razor, dry, bla, bla, bla. Now I just quick rinse blade in razor and hang on stand. Every few weeks I will use a tooth brush and clean the razor.

I mentioned using alcohol (saw that on youtube bids too) and the lady at art of shaving store said alcohol will dull the blade. I don't know one way or the other.

I just shave with it.
I havent cleaned it but only once after 4 or 5 months of use. Scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush and she was brand new again.

My routine is very involved and precise. :001_rolle Rinse after the shave and put on the bathroom cabinet shelf.

I do move my various razors around so my 3 loaded ones are closest to me, and I track # shaves per blade with dice.

If gunky looking, Scrubbing Bubbles and toothbrush (a few times a year). Do not use Scrubbing Bubbles with bleach!

You're killing your razors with love, and inviting opportunity to cut yourself. I rinse my razor when I'm done. I've never 'cleaned' one. Its your razor and you can clean it if you want, but I don't see any advantage.

I rinse mine off in the sink after every use, give it a couple of sideways shakes to flip the water out, then put it up. I flip the blade between every shave but never wipe it off with anything.

If build up and staining were to bother me, I could give the razor a deep cleaning once every 6 months or so.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I leave the blade in my razors until it's time to change it at which time the razor gets a Dawn/water/toothbrush treatment. The less you handle the blade, the less the chance of damaging the edge.

At blade change, I grab a wad of TP, dampen it, and wipe down the plated parts so they will keep the shine. If the Windex is handy I'll use that. With the recommendations here I may use some of the isopropyl alcohol that I have on hand.

The things people here do with their razor blades. Am I the only one who just quickly rinse the blade and wipe it with a towel?

I clean my razor often. Sometimes when I'm behind my computer desk I start to clean it with my tshirt lol.

I remove the blade..rinse it. Then scrub the razor with a tooth brush. Let it all air dry, till next morning.

I tend to open up the razor after each shave and pat everything dry. Occasionally, when there is no blade in a razor and it looks like it needs it, I do a better scrubbing and alcohol cleaning.

Top Bottom