What's new

Has anyone added clear coat nail polish to razor head?

Just saw Cerakote being promoted to protect razor heads

From ikon
Code:
[h=3]Cerakote is a military grade coating that is rust and scratch resistant.[/h][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arvo][I][B]Most stainless steel razors (especially machined and unpolished razors) have a tendency to develop what we in the industry call ‘tea stains’[/B][/I]
[I][B]this is an unfortunate reaction between the low grade steel used in the DE blades and the actual stainless steel used in the razors fabrication.[/B][/I]

[I][B] So leaving a blade in a stainless steel razor results in what looks like rust.[/B][/I]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
[I][B]iKon’s Cerakote coated stainless steel heads prevent this.[/B][/I]

Got me to thinking, recently I applied a clear coat to Pre de Provence shave soap as I heard that their labels were not waterproof.

Not sure if it would yellow over time but removing it every now and then may be less harmful than the daily water?

Thoughts

If you use a quality vintage Gillette, no need so even think about any clearcoat. They are brass and plated with nickel, gold, or rhodium.

I would not clearcoat a razor. What is the purpose?

I would guess if you really wanted to do this, that you should use laquer. That is what Gillette used on its three piece razors, but never on their twist to open models.

I would not clearcoat a razor. What is the purpose?

He bought an ikon and their DLC coating flakes off after a couple of weeks. :lol:

proxy.php

I think you made a wise choice shavetech and I truly hope you enjoy the razor. You could try using a clear coat, or even try the clear nail polish, it may add a good layer of protection to it. I think I would probably not worry about it and use it as is and try and take good care of it. You could always get the razor re cerakoted later down the road, even pick a different color if you'd like. Enjoy your razor.

Thanks to all, @BSAguy lacquer would be better, I just threw out the idea of clear coating your razor to protect it, have never done so with anything other than trying to waterproof labels.

For some reason, if you were considering clear coating with nail polish, why not get black nail polish? Would it be too shiny? Not that I am recommending it, just curious based on the picture. I would test it on some scrap metal (pop can or soup can?) before trying it however.

Also, Ikon head are stainless steel underneath, so it should not be a problem to have it bare. The coating is advertised to protect against rust from the BLADE not the razor material. Its done to make it easier to clean. I see it as something to eventually chip off, as you just learned.

Did you hit the head on something or was it just not plated properly?

For some reason, if you were considering clear coating with nail polish, why not get black nail polish? Would it be too shiny? Not that I am recommending it, just curious based on the picture. I would test it on some scrap metal (pop can or soup can?) before trying it however.

Also, Ikon head are stainless steel underneath, so it should not be a problem to have it bare. The coating is advertised to protect against rust from the BLADE not the razor material. Its done to make it easier to clean. I see it as something to eventually chip off, as you just learned.

Did you hit the head on something or was it just not plated properly?

No I was just curious if there are any preventive measures be it lacquer, nail polish/whatever to coat and protect, have never done it, just curious.

I thought about some form of clear enamel to save my EJ that developed a plating flaw and started to rot, decided to just go to non-Zamak razors instead.

Top Bottom