What's new

Check 6: March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month

Although only 24, I underwent a colonoscopy last year during the process to diagnose my IBS. I was very fortunate that it was only a mild case of IBS and not something more medically significant. I will echo everyone else on here that the worst part is indeed the prep. My father, who is in his mid-50's, has yet to have one done. I was actually home this past weekend and this thread came to mind. I sat down and talked about it with him, and he scheduled one for two weeks from now. It really was important to get him on the right track, and I think my "if your 24 year old son can do it, so can you" logic really struck home! :thumbup1:

Not sure if this makes me eligible for the badge or the PIF, but thought I would share regardless. There are some great stories in this thread, gentlemen!

I've had three--count 'em--colonoscopies, and the last two discovered polyps that would not have been discovered by a sigmoidoscopy. The last colonoscopy was in December 2014. Tim

Here is my story:

In my early twenties I had some issues with my stool. I went to the doctors and they all said it was most likely either an ulcer or hemmeroid. They said I should not worry about it. So I did not . . . for years! In 2001 I spiked a high fever and went to the emergency room. They had no clue what was wrong with me. I had a spinal tap and multiple tests. I finally had a doctor decide to give me an upper and lower GI. It was there they found colon cancer. I was 34 years old.
I was told I needed to have a portion of my colon removed before the cancer spread. I had the procedure done and was told I was lucky they caught when they did as it was not in the lymphnodes.
I have had regular colonoscopies since then.
I saw this post and it made me think "when did I have my last one?" as I need to have every three years.

I called my doctor and they said I was past due in December. The doctor had every three years and the computer had 5 years. So I was not sent my normal reminder.

I am glad to see other stories in this post. If you are over 50 call and schedule an appointment today. If there is a history (which there is actually was none) make sure to set up an appointment at the proper age.

Luckily my sisters have had it done and they are clear!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here is my story:

In my early twenties I had some issues with my stool. I went to the doctors and they all said it was most likely either an ulcer or hemmeroid. They said I should not worry about it. So I did not . . . for years! In 2001 I spiked a high fever and went to the emergency room. They had no clue what was wrong with me. I had a spinal tap and multiple tests. I finally had a doctor decide to give me an upper and lower GI. It was there they found colon cancer. I was 34 years old.
I was told I needed to have a portion of my colon removed before the cancer spread. I had the procedure done and was told I was lucky they caught when they did as it was not in the lymphnodes.
I have had regular colonoscopies since then.
I saw this post and it made me think "when did I have my last one?" as I need to have every three years.

I called my doctor and they said I was past due in December. The doctor had every three years and the computer had 5 years. So I was not sent my normal reminder.

I am glad to see other stories in this post. If you are over 50 call and schedule an appointment today. If there is a history (which there is actually was none) make sure to set up an appointment at the proper age.

Luckily my sisters have had it done and they are clear!
Thank you for sharing your story. It tells us all that cancer does not discriminate. For such a minor inconvenience I think everyone should get checked on a regular basis no matter your age.

Although I'm new to the Board, I'd like to share my story. In October 2012, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer. She was then 75 years old. In November, I'd already had an appointment with a gastroenterologist for rectal bleeding which turned out to be hemorrhoids. Normally, the gastroenterologist said to check he did a colonoscopy and given my mother's diagnosis, he definitely recommended that I have one. I did, expecting him to find nothing. I was mistaken. He found a tumor in the bend at the right side of my colon. The biopsy showed pre-cancerous cells. I was referred to a surgeon. I discovered to my shock that due to the blood supply to the colon, you can't simply remove a tumor embedded in the wall, but must remove the entire section, including the diseased tissue. I got a second opinion by a surgeon recommended by the first. He did a second colonoscopy while I was awake--I wouldn't recommend that--and concluded that he could not remove the tumor by injecting saline to lift it, but had to remove part of my colon. He took a biopsy, which again revealed pre-cancerous cells. He recommended a right hemi-colectomy, or removal of the right side of my colon.

I had the operation in January 2013. The pathology revealed cancer cells in the center. Twelve lymph nodes were removed and were free of cancer, so I avoided follow-up chemotherapy. There was no metastasis of the cancer. At the time of the operation, I was 46 years old. I joked with the surgeon about what would have happened had I followed the recommendation of having a colonoscopy at 50. He bluntly said I would not likely be there for it. I had a bullet fired at my head but it missed.

My story doesn't end there. Due to the fact that I was heavier--30+ pounds more than now--I had to have nearly an open colectomy with a 10-inch scar. As a result, I developed a large abdominal hernia which had to be surgically repaired with mesh in March 2014. As a result of my hernia, I used other muscles to compensate, which has led to two years of pain while sitting and driving. As a result of that, I had to get rid a 2013 Camaro I had bought to reward myself for getting a new lease on life so to speak. The pain continues. My follow-ups with blood tests, cat-scans, x-rays and a colonoscopy have been negative for a reoccurrence.

My mother had chemotherapy and surgery in July 2013. In 2014, the cancer returned and she died on November 4, 2014. She was 76 years old.

The lesson from my story is that sometimes you get lucky. If you learn anything from reading this, get checked. Do it now so you don't have to go through what I have or suffer like my mother. Please do it.

Although I'm new to the Board, I'd like to share my story. In October 2012, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer. She was then 75 years old....
The lesson from my story is that sometimes you get lucky. If you learn anything from reading this, get checked. Do it now so you don't have to go through what I have or suffer like my mother. Please do it.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards. My condolences on the passing of your mother.

I had a right hemi-colectomy on February the 26th and am waiting on the pathology report. My surgeon said it looked very good when they had me open so I am hoping that I dodged a bullet.

Prayers for a long and healthy future.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards. My condolences on the passing of your mother.

I had a right hemi-colectomy on February the 26th and am waiting on the pathology report. My surgeon said it looked very good when they had me open so I am hoping that I dodged a bullet.

Prayers for a long and healthy future.

I hope for the best for you. God bless you.

Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences.

I'll be 45 this year.

My dad died in 2001, 2 weeks after his 69th birthday, of metastatic lung cancer. He didn't smoke. He was the youngest of 7, raised on a working dairy farm ... 4 of his other siblings died before 70 of various cancers. He had no signs of cancer until he fell from his bicycle and had persistent lower back pain...he suffered from back pain for a long time, so he didn't think much of it until it became unbearable. Off to the ER, and voila - you have a tumor on your spine, my friend. By the way you also have tumors on your lungs, kidneys, liver, pericardium, and in your bones. 2 months of palliative chemo and he was gone. My older daughter was 2 years old. We found out that my wife was pregnant with #2 on the day dad died.

Life, she is a *****. Well, some of the time anyways.

With that in mind and having some irregularities with my bowel movements, last January I visited a gastro. Went through the battery of questions, and considering the family history of cancer, he decided for an upper GI and a colonoscopy.

In late February of 2014 I was scheduled and did the miralax and gatorade prep with a heat assist from Dulcolax. I have to say that it was quite effective! I've had dysentery 3 times and various other gastro fun, so the prep wasn't too bad. A friend had a scope the month before and he was going on and on about how bad the prep was ... well, the prep really isn't a big deal after amoebic dysentery.

Went into the facility, which was basically a colonoscopy factory. After weighing in and a brief chat with the nurse, they wheeled me into the procedure room, hooked me up to the anesthesia (propofol for the win, baby), and before I knew it I was waking up in the recovery room. I have to tell you I felt super rested and relaxed. The doc came in and told me he removed 1 polyp, but other than that there were no other issues.

About a week later I got the report that the polyp was not cancerous.

I'm now on the 3-year colonoscopy plan.

For those out there that are scared:

1. The entire experience is not that bad.
2. The prep is less bad than 2 or 3 days of stomach flu. Basically it's about 12 hours of mild discomfort.
3. It's not that bad.
4. Just do it.

Cheers-
Dave

I wrote in the thread last year but I would like to post again as this topic is so important to me, especially at this moment in time.

People know they have to get colonoscopies but always put it off because it is an "uncomfortable" checkup. Trust me that the alternative to not getting the check is much worse and it is not uncomfortable in the slightest.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer a couple of years ago. He did not get a colonoscopy like he was supposed to. While colon cancer is one of, if not, the most preventable and easiest to treat cancers there is the huge factor that it spreads. Colon cancer not found soon enough is pretty much guaranteed to spread to your liver and then your lungs and brain. The doctors re sectioned my dads colon and were able to remove the colon cancer fairly quickly. In his case it spread to his liver where it has been causing havoc. Chemo has only been able to keep the tumors the same size. Larger tumors were pushing on other vital organs. Stronger chemo was added and side effects increase dramatically. Other health problems and side effects come up from chemo and make things worse. There is only so many things modern medicine can do. Last week my dad was admitted to the hospital. Constant throwing up, dehydration, complete body weakness, fevers, internal infections and depression could not be controlled. At 58 he is now not going to be able to work anymore and the doctors are struggling to solve the issues. My brother (32) is moving back home shortly and I (27) have already moved back home to take care of my mother and the bills of the house.

If you think not eating for 24 hours, taking some pills, drinking a gallon of a laxative and getting a quick outpatient procedure is bad, trust me it is not. I have had a colonoscopy as has my brother. It is a walk in a park. If I had to get 1 every month I wouldn't even flinch.

If anyone has ANY questions feel free to PM me. There is no question too stupid, disgusting, or graphic on this topic.

Last edited:
I wrote in the thread last year but I would like to post again as this topic is so important to me, especially at this moment in time.

People know they have to get colonoscopies but always put it off because it is an "uncomfortable" checkup. Trust me that the alternative to not getting the check is much worse.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer a couple of years ago. He did not get a colonoscopy like he was supposed to. While colon cancer is one of, if not, the most preventable and easiest to treat cancers there is the huge factor that it spreads. Colon cancer not found soon enough is pretty much guaranteed to spread to your liver and then your lungs and brain. The doctors re sectioned my dads colon and were able to remove the colon cancer fairly quickly. In his case it spread to his liver where it has been causing havoc. Chemo has only been able to keep the tumors the same size. Larger tumors were pushing on other vital organs. Stronger chemo was added and side effects increase dramatically. Other health problems and side effects come up from chemo and make things worse. There is only so many things modern medicine can do. Last week my dad was admitted to the hospital. Constant throwing up, dehydration, complete body weakness, fevers, internal infections and depression could not be controlled. At 58 he is now not going to be able to work anymore and the doctors are struggling to solve the issues. My brother (32) is moving back home shortly and I (27) have already moved back home to take care of my mother and the bills of the house.

If you think not eating for 24 hours, taking some pills, drinking a gallon of a laxative and getting a quick outpatient procedure is bad, trust me it is not. I have had a colonoscopy as has my brother. It is a walk in a park. If I had to get 1 every month I wouldn't even flinch.

If anyone has ANY questions feel free to PM me. There is no question too stupid, disgusting, or graphic on this topic.

Very Powerful! thanks for posting this, mine is still scheduled for April

Jinx, dosco and Norseman, thanks for sharing your stories. It really is important for everyone to not only hear how getting checked is not that big a deal, but to see the impact of colorectal cancer on our lives and those of our families.

I recounted my my experience in recovery, and how it felt to be told that I dodged a bullet (propofol is a really wonderful addition to the procedure--my first one 15 years ago was under full sedation and it took half the day for me to come around).

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I suffered from Gastro esophogeal reflux disaease since my mid twenties, and also had some bouts with gastritis and undiagnosed IBD symptoms. As a result, I've been getting colonoscopies and endoscopies every 2 to 5 years since then. In 2008 I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease. It was due to the frequent testing that they caught the Crohns super early. And as a result, the symptoms are mild, and under control through medication and clean living. Crohns is the kind of disease that typically goes undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for years and years, only to become discovered when symptoms are dire, and harsh medications, surgeries and degraded quality of life are the results. So it is due to my frequent colon scans that my symptoms were diagnosed really early, and I have little to no quality of life issues. I am due for my next scan this summer. Not looking forward to it... but I do enjoy the peace of mind that it brings. And yes, the prep and sedation techniques have gotten way better over the years.

Sign me up guys. I'm a young'un when all things comsisered(35) but have learned a few things that are making me very proactive about this. Both my great grandparents died on my dads side died from "stomach problems" that we now believe were colon cancer. My grandfather and grandmother both had a history of polyps and grandpa had caught a couple early enough to not cause a problem. My father has had polyps removed in each scope he's taken, and he started at 45. I am going to die but i don't want it to be from this, so I will deal with whatever discomfort I have to. It doesnt even compare to my wife having 2 kids so I'm scheduling one with my physical.

Well could not get the appointment moved up, so April 11 it is Dun Dun Daaaa. 1st one, so a little bit jittery, but the alternative is much worse. So thanks Gents for this thread!

I was wondering what that badge meant. I just had another colonoscopy last month, and have a follow up next month. Not sure if that qualifies as it wasn't in March. Either way, nothing to worry about from the scope yet (turned out to be mild diverticulitis, and a bout of epiploic appendigitis, which sounds much worse than it actually is). A clean bill of health beats a badge anyday!

Last edited:
Just a follow-up to my story...I met with the surgeon yesterday and she said they got it all so I will not be needing any chemo. :w00t: Couldn't ask for better news. During my journey through this I am learning that more younger people are being diagnosed with this disease every year. Whether it is a result of an increase in early onset or just people going to the doctor and more aggressive testing, it seems to me that the recommended age for first colonoscopy should be lowered. This disease is treatable and survivable if caught early.

Just a follow-up to my story...I met with the surgeon yesterday and she said they got it all so I will not be needing any chemo. :w00t: Couldn't ask for better news. During my journey through this I am learning that more younger people are being diagnosed with this disease every year. Whether it is a result of an increase in early onset or just people going to the doctor and more aggressive testing, it seems to me that the recommended age for first colonoscopy should be lowered. This disease is treatable and survivable if caught early.
I agree and some doctors won't do a colonoscopy if you don't meet an age requirement. There are ways around it so if you want a colonoscopy at a younger age it is possible.

Great news all around, gents, and I'm really happy that no chemo is needed. It just goes to show that if there is something in there, you really do want to know. Surgery stinks, and so does chemo and radiation, but it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative.

Top Bottom