What's new

Boar brushes don't stack up

It's not subjective but a matter of fact. Happy for you to disagree but you need to present your case!

I'm totally irrational about this. I love my badgers!

When I was a mere wisp of a child, I asked my Dad what shaving brushes were made from, and he said "badger hair." OK...so be it.:thumbup1:

I have only ever had badger brushes, and I love the look and feel -- and the performance. I have no experience with boar brushes, so I can't compare. And (remember I said I was irrational about this) I see no need for me to experiment...and I understand a boar brush needs to be broken in and that takes a good bit of time, after which some compare it to badger as regards performance.:bored:

I do have some boar brushes in a drawer in out bathroom, acquired from various sources, some used, some new (I really don't know where, except the one that came with my VDH Deluxe soap and bowl). Maybe one day I'll pull one out and try it...maybe not. :001_rolle

Also...part of me likes the idea of using soft hair from a wild animal with an attitude, as opposed to something shaved off a slovenly beast destined to be sausage.

Last edited:
Not true - Semogue grades their boar hair knots. If you dig into it, you'll find that different models that look the same, perform very differently depending on the knot. Omega does not grade their knots, as far as I know. I agree that the faux-badger stripes on many boar brushes are a little goofy since it doesn't fool anyone and, frankly, the blond hair looks better anyway.

My first brush was a cheap pure badger. It sucked. For the same money, a boar brush is softer and performs better. I have no doubt that higher end badger brushes are excellent performers. But, you're paying for the privilege. Still there are plenty of guys that prefer boar to highend badger, especially for hard soaps and face lathering. Other guys prefer synthetic to any kind of natural knot. Synthetics dry even faster than badger for travel use. To each his own.

It's been a long time since I read Joel's ancient Boar vs. Badger post in which he used some cheapo boar that wasn't dense or broken in and declared the badger brush the clear winner by all counts.

But the fact is, it's just not that clear cut, and I'm glad that, almost 10 years later, boars finally have well-earned respect in the shaving world. My own personal brush journey took me from badgers to boars to horses to synthetics and I enjoy them all...for the moment though, I prefer synthetics to anything else in my stable.

For some people, the backbone and scrub you get with a boar is just superior to anything badger can provide, unless you get a stiff two-band badger knot, but that may or may not be as cheap as a $25 top-tier boar. These days with knots you can buy and cheap Chinese-made brushes or makers that put a knot in a handle for you, the cost for a "high end 2-band" badger is *much* cheaper than it used to be. So it's easier to experiment and see which hair you prefer or best suits your needs.

In a purely subjective analysis, in 7 years of being in this hobby, owning more brushes than I'll ever need, and using everything in brushdom, the only real "advantages" badger has over a broken-in boar are (1) less soaking time is needed for optimal performance, (2) the knot overall retains a little more moisture, which may (or may not, depending on your technique) create a wetter lather, and (3) badger hair retains heat a little better.

That's it, if you ask me. And the advantage is not really that large. Face-feel and softness are comparable. Backbone is comparable between boar and a stiff badger. Lather-making is just as fast and easy with either hair. Thus, I use what my mood calls for. I no longer have a preference between the two like I once did (and I preferred badger, then boar, then...). I appreciate the qualities that both bring to the table.

It's not subjective but a matter of fact. Happy for you to disagree but you need to present your case!

There are good facts presented by the top two posts. That is why many prefer boar brushes. What is your case against boars?
As always the shaving items are YMMV, that is why people buy what works best for them..

If you forced me to choose, I'd keep the boars and ditch the badgers. Still, that wouldn't cause me to opine that badgers "don't stack up," in an absolute sense. I don't get the mindset there.

I see where you're coming from. I'd love if a manufacturer like Shavemac sold custom boar knots so I could get something to my specs, but nobody does that. And I almost never use a boar anymore. They load up easily but don't hold much lather in the knot given their size.

I would just like to thank Bazman for summing it up so succinctly, and explaining to all of us boar users out here that we are messed in the head, and prefer inferior products. I here by propose that all discussion on brushes in this forum be closed. The Bazman has settled the issue.

Yes, it is all completely subjective. As you spend more time on the forum, you will see exactly how subjective it is. There are a lot of great members here who have their own preferences. People disagree not because you are wrong, but because what they like what works for them. And, as always, please see my signature!

Also...part of me likes the idea of using soft hair from a wild animal with an attitude, as opposed to something shaved off a slovenly beast destined to be sausage.

When I read the first half of your sentence I knew you must be referring to a boar, then realized you were talking about the little animal. I much rather tangle with a badger than an adult angry boar in the wild. Boar can be very aggressive and weight near 1000 lbs. Besides, I love sausage.

Oh, and I enjoy both brush types and see no point in declaring one a winner.

Funny! Just unpacked a Semogue 1520 boar fresh from Portugal. Gonna give a wash and try it out. Feels like it could be a nice brush and for 15 bucks? Nice build and should work on a hard puck. I'll post later after I've used it a few times.:001_smile

I own 2 Omega boar brushes (beachwood handle and the 31025) as well as the Semogue Owners Club. I really enjoy them; especially with a particularly hard shaving soap. That said, in terms of absolute performance, both my Silvertip badger brushes (Parker and Kent) are the better brushes. They can whip up a better lather in less time, feel so much more comfortable on my face (especially if I'm face lathering), retain more moisture and heat.

For me, there really is no comparison. While I do enjoy my boar brushes quite a bit, they just can't keep up with my Silvertip badger brushes.

Yes, it is all completely subjective. As you spend more time on the forum, you will see exactly how subjective it is. There are a lot of great members here who have their own preferences. People disagree not because you are wrong, but because what they like what works for them. And, as always, please see my signature!

I do like your signature and agree with it, to a point where you have some experience under your belt. When I first started mixing up lathers, I had some hellacious shaves due to the obvious, improper mixtures. Also, DE razor technique can take a little time, understanding various razor types, beard prep, pre and post shave products............

I guess I should say something about the question topic at hand - All brushes are good. We currently have a lot to choose from and at the end of the day, the end result is achieved: Product mixed and placed on your beard. How you get there and how it feels is based on the brush and your choice. I love all my brushes and I understand they all have their own personalities like the members here at B&B.

When I started out 14 months ago I had a decent badger brush, then I got a couple Semogue boars. Out of the box I was not a fan. An unbroken in boar is never going to stack up against a decent badger. However, after getting them broken in I really enjoyed them. more badgers came into the den(better quality) and again the boars seemed to be a step below.....then along came the Semogue SOC! Once broken in I feel this brush matches up against any other brush in my den. For $30 it may be the best value in brushes in my opinion.

I started out with a Herban Cowboy boar brush. It was undyed, and really looked rather nice, it had a "cowboy" look to it for sure.

Still, I think boar is mostly an inferior brush. It takes more soap, water, and time to lather. But it is inexpensive . But in this day and age of inexpensive synthetic brushes... I just don't see the point.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I started out with a Herban Cowboy boar brush. It was undyed, and really looked rather nice, it had a "cowboy" look to it for sure.
Oh yes, Herban Cowboy, the renowned crafter of fine brushes. :glare:

Still, I think boar is mostly an inferior brush.
Try a Semogue.

It takes more soap, water, and time to lather.
Try face lathering.

But it is inexpensive.
Damn right!

But in this day and age of inexpensive synthetic brushes... I just don't see the point.
When I can get a high quality, handmade boar brush from a reputable European brushmaker for less than $20, I don't see the point of inexpensive synthetics. But to each his own.

Top Bottom