What's new

Variation within Gillettes of same type?

Question for those of you who are experienced with the famous Post WWII Gillette Safety Razors...

I acquired some Gillette Safety razors over the last four months. Recently, I took out my best Fat Boy (replated) and my best Super Adjustable Black Beauty -- best being what appeared to be the best condition from inspection. Then I shaved away and was surprised by how much better the SA Black Beauty felt (to me) -- more efficient, less irritation/nicks. (Various settings of each in the 3-6 range). I wanted to like the Fat Boy because IMO it feels and balances wonderfully and looks great! and I'm pretty sure it's the razor I remember watching my father shave with when I was a little boy.

Should I conclude that I like the SA better? or is there a good deal of subtle variation with each individual razor, so that I should keep trying? Of course, it's always possible that there is operator variation since I haven't done that many shaves with each.

What's the prevailing opinion? or the experience of those of you who enjoy working through multiple razors of each type?

AJ

Last edited:
You're not alone. IMO the SA is better than the Fatboy in all aspects. Balance, maneuverability, comfort of the shave, everything ...

The Fatboy is visually more appealing and it's also scarcer, therefore more expensive. That doesn't mean it's a better shaver, IMO it isn't.

First impressions are usually fairly accurate. If you liked the SA on first use better than the Fatboy, I don't think using the Fatboy more will change your mind. I love my Fatboy. I've never used a Super Adjustable (although I'm keeping an eye out for my birth quarter). I believe the Fatboy is a more head heavy razor. Your technique probably favors a more balanced razor, or maybe the long handle just lends itself better to you maintaining proper angles.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'd say it's more likely that you are more of an SA guy than a Fatboy guy, but I wouldn't get rid of either. The Fatboy may grow on you more, even if the SA has the higher place in your heart. There's nothing in the world wrong with that at all.

Enjoy them all, even if you enjoy some more than others.

You're not alone. IMO the SA is better than the Fatboy in all aspects. Balance, maneuverability, comfort of the shave, everything ...

The Fatboy is visually more appealing and it's also scarcer, therefore more expensive. That doesn't mean it's a better shaver, IMO it isn't.
+1

I think this sums it up perfectly. I know this is exactly how I have always felt.

It's funny you posted this...I just received two fatboys recently (1961 G1 and G2) and decided to do a side by side comparison. Both are very similar as far as overall condition, operation, etc. but I definitely had a better shave with the G2. It even seemed more aggressive on the same setting (5).

I can definitely see how you would notice a difference using two different types of razors.

Razors shave differently based on weight, handle length, head design, blade gap, blade exposure, etc. Each major generation shaves differently and even within types, there is undoubtedly variation due to manufactureing tolerance variations.

All of our faces and beards are different and the same razor and blade will give us a different shave. So your correct the SA works better for You.

Of all my Razors my KRONA has been favorite and gives me the most consistent shaves regardless of brand of blade used.

The issue with adjustable razors is the consistency of the blade gap from end to end on the razor head. Adjustables are easy to warp or bend and thus have a variable blade gap. I bought four Slims before getting one that had completely consistent blade gaps end to end on both sides of the blade. Adjustables also came from the factory with warped adjuster beds and doors at various times. Then you have the issue of the consistency of the blade spring that tensions the blade when you close the doors and tighten the TTO fully. Some had a good strong spring some were sloppy and weak from the factory.
So yes adjustables are VARIABLE in this respect, and razors of the same date code can and do shave vastly differently at times.

Gentlemen, each of these are fascinating and interesting responses and insights. Thanks so much.

I don't think I've given up on my Fatboys completely; I suspect I'll try some others as well. And as much as I like the SA that I picked to shave with, I'm also going to carefully try my other SA's as well to see any differences.

AJ

Question for those of you who are experienced with the famous Post WWII Gillette Safety Razors...

I acquired some Gillette Safety razors over the last four months. Recently, I took out my best Fat Boy (replated) and my best Super Adjustable Black Beauty -- best being what appeared to be the best condition from inspection. Then I shaved away and was surprised by how much better the SA Black Beauty felt (to me) -- more efficient, less irritation/nicks. (Various settings of each in the 3-6 range). I wanted to like the Fat Boy because IMO it feels and balances wonderfully and looks great! and I'm pretty sure it's the razor I remember watching my father shave with when I was a little boy.

Should I conclude that I like the SA better? or is there a good deal of subtle variation with each individual razor, so that I should keep trying? Of course, it's always possible that there is operator variation since I haven't done that many shaves with each.

What's the prevailing opinion? or the experience of those of you who enjoy working through multiple razors of each type?

AJ

I shaved with a long handle super adjustable for over 45 years and never looked at another razor until I joined B&B a few years ago.

that should tell you something.

Now I did have a number of SA razors I used over this time period as every time I moved I could not locate my razor so went out and bought another one exactly like the previous one (long handle Super Adjustable). I can tell you exactly when I moved from the date codes on the Gillette razors.

This is the razor I shaved with the longest starting in 1970 when I purchased it after getting to college and realizing I forgot to bring a razor.

proxy.php

As always it is YMMV.

I have a '59 Fatboy, and have tried it on several occasions.
To me it is not as good as my New, Old, Superspeed etc.

It is a nice collector razor.

If you like a heavier, nicely balanced razor try a British Aristocrat Jr.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Really, if you want something shaped more like the SA but heavier, a Slim might be what you're looking for. It's just a little bit heavier, only a couple of grams, but I've been amazed at how much a mere couple of grams can make a difference. It also could be even a little better balanced.

Funny, I have a Slim that I have never shaved with because I thought it would be just like a fatboy, but now I will try it and see.

Really, if you want something shaped more like the SA but heavier, a Slim might be what you're looking for. It's just a little bit heavier, only a couple of grams, but I've been amazed at how much a mere couple of grams can make a difference. It also could be even a little better balanced.

More shaves have confirmed my comments above. And after reading others' experiences, I just bought another Super Adjustable, but this one with the short handle, so I'm looking forward to comparing that as well.

Funny, I have a Slim that I have never shaved with because I thought it would be just like a fatboy, but now I will try it and see.

Gillette pretty significantly changed the head between the Fatboy and the Slim. Check out the side-by-side below (Fatboy on the left, Slim on the right). You will likely find the Slim to be more comparable to the SA than the Fatboy.

$Head.jpg

As a matter of fact, I shaved with my slim this morning and you are exactly correct. It does shave more like the SA. I got a great shave. I'd say it was very mild - used lots of passes -- but, I only had it on 5 I think, maybe 6. I'm going to try it some more on a higher number. I really like the way that it feels. And my alum bar found not a single spot of tingling despite going over and over several spots.

Gillette pretty significantly changed the head between the Fatboy and the Slim. Check out the side-by-side below (Fatboy on the left, Slim on the right). You will likely find the Slim to be more comparable to the SA than the Fatboy.

View attachment 554635

This + 1

Top Bottom