What's new

What hobbies eat up the most of your time and money?

I have only one hobby, birddogs and bird hunting. Mainly, I'm a dog man, I've got two dogs. One is a german shorthair and the other is a pointer. They eat a lot, but their vet bill isn't too bad. During the season I spend a lot on gas, food, and lodging to be able to run the dogs on some birds. This is a consuming hobby, I keep a few homing pigeons here at my place to use for training my dogs, it works well but they make for additional chores and feed costs. Then there is all the training gear (collars, cords, bird launchers, crates, Ford pickup a.k.a the dog hauler, and hunting gear (boots, vests, shotguns, ammo). I've been doing the birddog thing since I was 13, I love it, and it is a lifestyle hobby. Oh, and I'm a wetshaver too. :001_smile

I have spent 80% of my money on motorcycles, booze, and women- the rest I wasted.

Too funny. I tell people that I've got my money invested wisely, in shotguns and pointing dogs. There is no financial return but running my dogs, and especially running them on wild birds in the fall keeps me healthy, it is my version of soul care.

My kids. Got one who is a junior in college and one senior in HS headed off next year. Just spend $1,200 on their cars last month not to mention tuition, living $$, etc. Car insurance alone is $1,200 per year for the 18 year old and that is with a spotless driving record (knock on wood).

I love 'em to death, but they sure are expensive.
Dont forget posting...17,000+ posts in just over a year is a huge feat

this is going to sound funny, but:

Camping / Backpacking
Shooting at the range
Pipe Smoking
Refining my chess game (Western and Chinese)

View attachment 554183

Nice I have a copy of Xiangqi
My copy has pictures instead of characters.

My hobbies are in descending order.
Board gaming (mostly miniatures and Euro's)
Wetshaving
Cycling

Although spending time with my son trumps most of them allot of the time.

Apart from Wetshaving
1. Playing with my toy in the garage (An old Australian GT)
2. Cycling (riding and restoring)
3. Beer Brewing
4. Single Malt Scotch collecting!
5. Various sporting activities (Surfing, wakeboarding, football, AFL)
6. Watches - Have just started to enjoy watches..!

Actually now I see where all my money goes :blink:

I sometimes dread to think how much I've spent over the last couple of years on different hobbies! I play guitar, bass, ukulele and banjo. So much of my money's been spent on that for quite awhile! Now I'm into wet shaving and that's taking up alittle more of it.. But that's completely normal and fine right?! :p

Board gaming (mostly miniatures and Euro's)
What board games are those? I'm not into it myself but it's an interesting field, and I do the occasional browsing on BGG.

I can't say I have much in terms of hobbies, and don't spend an awful lot on shaving gear. Not that it's a hobby per se, but I think my nicotine addiction takes the cake :laugh:

My two main hobbies are wet wetshaving and fountain pens. Its an even draw on the money. Time would be fountain pens, which includes letter writing and pen maintenance.

My hobbits are Magic The Gathering, board games, Dungeons and Dragons, smoking, building PC's and PC gaming. Also binge watching series. I'm actually surprised I have any money at all.

Being in college and working full time, I don't have a lot of free time to spend on hobbies. Most weekends are spent catching up with The Wife and studying. But I would love to get back into:
Hunting
Camping
Hiking
Firearms
All of which would be pricey and time consuming, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Right now, I have time for:
Shaving daily (to be honest, I don't necessarily count this as a hobby per se, but would consider the collecting of razors, etc. the hobby)
A little extra curricular reading
The occasional outing to an antique shop with The Wife.

Last edited:
I've been wet shaving for about 56 years so that's a habit versus a hobby. Have been through a number of interests/hobbies over the years, the most expensive being sports cars and sailing. The two hobbies that have stuck over time are photography and woodworking; like most interests, both can be endlessly interesting and expensive.
I'm long past paying for my kids, but my grandchildren are about to start going to college and that's getting interesting.
Yesterday afternoon I lit a fire and a cigar, put on some music and read for a few hours. That's my new hobby.....

For me it is golf. Even though I spend a lot golfing. The relaxation that I get from it will save me a lot of money in therapy and alcohol purchases.

Back when I had more money it was firearms but now post baby it's slightly less expensive shaving.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Golf - the green fees and range balls are the biggest killer. I've got a set that should hopefully see me through the next 10 years

Top Bottom