What's new

Sadly, another iKon Customer Service report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the logic that you get to try various razors at Ikon's expense because you paid for one. And you didn't even buy it directly from them, this should have been Maggard's problem. If you've kept it for more than 2 days, dump it on the used market and eat the small difference, like everybody else.

+1

Poor service for sure, but the issue is with Maggard's as the vendor. I would chalk it up to experience, never buy another Ikon product, and go get an original vintage Gillette from which the Ikon was cloned.

I've always believed that polite and pleasant customer service should be the norm when dealing with a company. I understand that they may choose not to exchange or offer a discount, and if so that is their policy. However, I feel the tone and manner that you were treated with does meet the minimum level of customer service I would expect from anyone. I'm going to place iKon on my personal banned vendor's list.

If they had simply stated they don't give out design specifications and that they feel blade gap is an improper measurement of aggressiveness. I would accept it. The "desperate for business" is that part that really gets my goat.

When you find a nice razor from a company with good customer service, please let us know!

When did the OP demand ​the razor be exchanged? He simply asked a question.

OK...he didn't demand. He is, however, unhappy with the answer. He is publicly complaining about the answer. "I did not expect full retail trade for my used razor. I would have been very satisfied had he offered to trade me out for one of his blemished razor heads." Again, he is saying they OWED him another razor head of a different design. That is what he would have found satisfactory.

Why? He bought a product (iKon) from Maggard. He found it to be of "very high quality...I love everything about it. The DLC coating is pristine and the quality of the handle is unmatched (I haven't had the opportunity to try ATT, yet). I love the fact that it aligns perfectly every single time and that the blade tabs are completely covered. It's a wonderful piece of work."

But he just doesn't like how it feels on his face and wants an exchange. No such promise is made by either iKon of Maggard. He got a product that is "a wonderful piece of work" but it isn't to his tastes so he wants an exchange. WHY? What makes him think he is owed one?

There is also this:

"I took this as an easy way for a manufacturer to deny a customer the information that they requested. The blade gap would be very telling regardless of design. From what I had learned about this company's customer service, I wanted to press the issue."

If someone has read things on a forum and responds by wanting to "press the issue" with a manufacturer, then why should the manufacturer (and remember, he did not buy it from iKon) put up with his whining? The blade gap is something he could have measured himself, but it is also (as iKon told him) meaningless by itself.

iKon made a product to a very high standard, per the OP. They marketed it thru Maggard. The customer was impressed with the quality, but contacts the maker to press for an exchange with a different design. And I'll also point out we only know the OP's side of this. Period.

So my advice to the OP would be to either check out a warranty BEFORE you buy, or suck it up if the product is "a wonderful piece of work" that simply doesn't match your tastes! Or maybe even contact the people you actually bought it from...

$take it easy.jpg

Again, this was a customer service failure. iKon's response to a question about their product is what triggered this. The product is not the issue.

I publicly posted our email exchange. This is the first and last time I have contacted this company. What could iKon's "side of the story" be?

rlsinaz:

You're injecting things into the story, and Ikon's potential response, by what the Op is saying in this thread. Assuming the e-mails are the entirety of their conversation, Ikon would have no way of knowing what the op was after simply by the e-mail exchange.

If Ikon had said " it's not our policy to exchange razors", I don't imagine the OP would have had a problem with that. It was the tone of the response to the razor, and the Harley reference that set him off IMO.

I've had only 1 dealing with the owner of I-can't razors and that was one too many.

Sometimes you just have to say "one strike and yer OUT" if it is bad enough (and it was)

Would not have any of their products in my home, even as a GIFT.

Actually, the response about not being that desperate for business came AFTER "Do you offer exchanges for razors that do not work well for customers?" The point about HD is correct - try convincing HD to exchange motorcycle models with you after buying one from a dealer and deciding you picked the wrong model.

"In fact he stated he was just pushing harder because his first simple question was deflected."

No, that is not what he said. From post #1:

"From what I had learned about this company's customer service ["After ordering, I did a little more research and found out that iKon is a banned vendor here and found some "customer service" reviews. Oh boy..."], I wanted to press the issue."

Also:

"Full disclosure: I have not brought this to the attention of the Maggard's. They are my favorite vendor and I don't feel that they should be held responsible for this asshat."

If I buy a product from Maggards that I don't think is up to snuff, I'd contact MAGGARD. And full disclosure: I like Maggard Razors and buy from them regularly. Great company, IMHO! But if I had a problem with something they sold, I'd contact them - UNLESS it was a manufacturing flaw. But the OP says the manufacturing quality was excellent.

I am responsible for deciding what to buy before I buy it. I am also responsible for deciding if I want to buy from a place that will take it back no questions asked or from a place that has no such promise. Once I make a choice, I live with it. I returned an S2 head to Stan at ATT because it was part of their advertised product service - and he backed it. iKon doesn't offer that promise...and they didn't even sell the OP the razor!

rlsinaz:

You're injecting things into the story, and Ikon's potential response, by what the Op is saying in this thread. Assuming the e-mails are the entirety of their conversation, Ikon would have no way of knowing what the op was after simply by the e-mail exchange...

Please read the posted emails:

"Thank you for replying on a Sunday! Do you offer exchanges for razors that do not work well for customers?"

A simple "No we do not" would have been a better response, but the quoted email wasn't the first one, either.

I've had issues with IKON before and yes they may be arrogant but after purchasing a razor you are not happy with..well that is not their problem. Sell it and move on. Their response in this case is entirely warranted.

While I agree that Ikon customer-service is terrible, and that Greg is a douche of the highest order, I also agree with the responses here that the manufacturer is under no obligation to replace the OP's razor with a different model, because the purchased razor is too aggressive for the OP. The only manufacturer that I know of that offers this is Above The Tie, and they do so only if you've purchased directly from them (the manufacturer).

I, myself, don't find the Ikons to be of very high quality and won't be buying any more. I actually think that the ShaveCraft razors are of higher quality than Ikon's more-expensive stainless-steel models, though I do find the shaves from the ShaveCrafts to be lacking (too mild for me). Every stainless-steel Ikon that I have has one or more manufacturing defect, whether it be flat spots on the top cap, wavy base plate, wavy top cap, "pinched" top cap, gouged/dented handles, etc. I also find Ikon's coatings to be lame and unnecessary. My Weber is of much higher quality than any Ikon that I own. I only mention the Weber, because it's sintered, like the Ikons; my machined stainless-steel razors are in an entirely different class than anything that Ikon makes or sells.

Like Edgar, I also find it comical for Greg to refer to his "unique stand alone models," when most are copies of vintage razors (Gillette NEW DeLuxe, Punktal, Mulcuto, etc.). :lol:

IMO, those who support iKon here have completely missed or ignored the OP's point. He is reporting and complaining about the tone of iKon's response, and he is completely justified in being put off. iKon's emails are simply more examples of why they are banned here and why I will never buy another one of their products (I have an SC101 that I bought before I discovered the iKon/B&B history). iKon's position may be completely justified, but the tone of their communications and unwillingness to provide some basic spec info are indefensible.

The correct customer service response should have been

We do not exchange used products but feel free to pick out any of our other products and use this coupon "NOT THE JERK EVERYONE THINKS I AM" for a one time 10% discount.

Thank you for your continued business

But that would have been way too many thumb strokes on their phone so it was easier to insult the customer.

**** Off

Would have taken fewer thumb strokes and gotten the same message across.

I'm not sure why anyone replying to this thread would feel the need to criticize the OP so fervently. I read the original post as "this is my experience, be advised" so to speak. He spent a lot of money on a razor and was asking the company that makes it if they were willing to work with him.
It's completely unnecessary for said company to be flat out rude, and then make it personal even if the OP was wrong. It really doesn't matter if he should have gone to the vendor or what, or if he shouldn't have asked about a trade. The point he was making is that they were rude and he is choosing not to do business with them in the future.
For myself, I don't like to patronize businesses that treat customers like that.

Ikon's response was outrageous. I'm amazed that anyone would defend that level of rudeness. I guess there are some people who will gladly pay $175 to be abused, though I doubt there are enough of them to keep ikon in business.

FYI, there are other companies at this price point (Above The Tie) that will gladly exchange razors for other models. They make a point of letting you exchange them, no questions asked. So the question is not at all impertinent. But even if it were, Ikon's response is wildly out of line. When you sell razors for $175, part of what you're selling is customer service.
Ikon has plenty of competitors who offer a product of equal quality without a side helping of abuse. I was looking at Ikon, ATT, and Wolfman, and now I can strike Ikon off the list.

IMO, those who support iKon here have completely missed or ignored the OP's point. He is reporting and complaining about the tone of iKon's response, and he is completely justified in being put off.

I, for one, did not miss the OP's point. However, the fact that the OP was asking for something unreasonable is quite likely the reason he received such a response (from someone who is widely known to be a jerk, so I'm not terribly surprised, I suppose). I'm not chiding the OP, nor am I condoning Ikon's response. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
IMO, those who support iKon here have completely missed or ignored the OP's point. He is reporting and complaining about the tone of iKon's response, and he is completely justified in being put off. iKon's emails are simply more examples of why they are banned here and why I will never buy another one of their products (I have an SC101 that I bought before I discovered the iKon/B&B history). iKon's position may be completely justified, but the tone of their communications and unwillingness to provide some basic spec info are indefensible.
Precisely.

I think the OP is less concerned with what was said, and more about how it was said. I agree the iKon representative was a serious douche, enough so that I will also avoid purchasing their products. If they aren't desperate for business, then they surely don't need my hard earned dollars. Customer service is incredibly important to me, as is showing respect no matter the situation. This iKon loser failed in both categories, so an easy choice for me in my books.
The Ikon rep is Greg, owner, one man show.

Why should a company exchange a product that has been used because the purchaser finds it not suitable. Especially a used razor! Do you homework before you purchase. Doesn't matter at what price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom