What's new

Hello from the Czech Republic

Hello gentlemen,

I've been browsing this forum for quite a long time, have to say I find it very helpful and friendly. No wonder I decided to register here in early February and now the time has come to introduce myself, as I want to join the discussion in "What is your favorite Gillette NEW?" thread and I somehow felt it would be good to introduce myself here.

I started shaving some 30 years ago, when I was 16 or so. Then, after a few years, my shaving career slowed down considerably as my girlfriend at that time liked me more with a beard :). Well, after all those years, the older I get, the younger I want to look and hence the less beard I want to have on my face :). Thus I'm rediscovering the art and pleasure of a cleanly shaved face; well, except for a goatee which I keep growing as my wife has never seen my face completely beardless - I have to take it a step at a time :).

I have refurbished my old razor, a Gillette Super-Adjustable "F1", bought myself a new Mühle r89 DE razor, a Mühle 099 K257 silvertip brush and a ToBS cream. I also have a couple of razors my father used to use, two "brand new" aka unused Solunas (Czech DE razors from the mid 80's, quite aggressive beasts) and last but the least, I became a proud owner of what I believe is a 1930's Gillette NEW razor, which is just superb.

I'm in the quest for my "perfect blade". Have tried Astra Platinum (horrible), Derby (quite OK) and Shark (good), combining different razors with various blades.

Married with children (2), one wife, one dog. Hobbies include photography, cycling, skiing, geocaching, books, music, movies, wine, whiskey :)

If you've made it down here, thanks for your attention :)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, vladacr. Great to have you here. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B! You've got some outstanding razors. Astra SP and Derby blades don't work for me, either. Try the Gillette Silver Blues.

Greetings and welcome to the forum. You are off to a great start! Enjoy the journey and thanks for joining in! :)

Welcome Vlad !...You will enjoy this place...Many admirers here of great Czech traditional shaving goods ,especially the Alpa products ,that are fantastic!....One question please..for years the Czech Razor Company has been making razor blades.10 years ago we could still find the real Czech Tiger blades,but now it's almost always the Russian version,but in the same wrapper...This company produces so many varieties of blades ....What's the story on the Czech blades ?? Why no distribution?? http://www.czechblades.cz/en/products-list

One question please..for years the Czech Razor Company has been making razor blades.10 years ago we could still find the real Czech Tiger blades,but now it's almost always the Russian version,but in the same wrapper...This company produces so many varieties of blades ....What's the story on the Czech blades ?? Why no distribution?? http://www.czechblades.cz/en/products-list
Well, I'm a proud member of Czech forum.britva.cz, which is a community similar to B&B. We had a discussion there on this topic, as one of us found Tiger blades on the market in Germany in a local store. We even contacted the manufacturer and spoke to the chief of marketing, Mr. Richter. He was very surprised to hear Tiger blades being sold in Germany, he was sure it was a fake, cause they don't produce blades for wet shaving. They are the trademarks owners with no production.

Then he admitted they sell some blades in Indonesia. These blades (not the Tiger), he said, are not stainless but carbon, they are not platinum coated. That makes them very sharp, maybe too sharp, the lack of coating can cause the blade to cut into the skin. He also said, they don't produce blades for wet shaving because the investment would be more than 1.6 billion USD, and with the total annual 300,000 Astra blades sold in the Czech Republic it just wouldn't pay off. If you or any member of this community would be further interested, you can call Mr. Richter, +420 461 801 111, he is said to be very friendly and responsive. You can find the discussion here (Czech only): http://forum.britva.cz/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1555.

Rumour has it, they are testing a new blade, the whisper started about two years ago. Maybe if users show remarkable interest in Czech blades, they may start the production again, who knows.

One of our members had a chance to shave with the mysterious Tiger blades mentioned above, bought from a German online store and he was thrilled, saying they were very sharp and the shave was excellent. He had five shaves with the blade before it went blunt.

Many admirers here of great Czech traditional shaving goods ,especially the Alpa products ,that are fantastic!
Well have to say I'm no big fan of Czech shaving products, but if you or anybody would be willing to trade Alpas for some typical products from their countries, I'm definitely interested.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Vlad...many thanks for this in depth look into Czech Blade Company...It looks like the PRC is counterfeiting the CZ blades,and the Russians are still using the box that says "made in Czech Republic".....The Polish site was rough to translate,but I got the heart of the thread..I can only guess that the blades made in the CZ factory are intended only for use as "tailors blades".....This was an interesting clip,linked from that site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVQAZ3XRZhg

The Czech Blades company has licenced the Russians to produce these blades, if I'm not mistaken. Or they just moved the production to Russia because it's cheaper there.
The video you linked shows the original blade for wet shaving made in formal social Czechoslovakia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom