What's new

Everything You Need To Know About Prime Rib: America’s New Favorite Cut Of Beef!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Ahhhh...Prime Rib w/ fresh Au jus and/or Horseradish Sauce and 'carved' tableside. :thumbsup:

It get's my vote for simplicity and elegance from start to finish...then you can 'spend' more time with your guests. :yesnod:

MSN Food & Drink - 2 Jan 2015

"Even though it’s one of the most classic cuts, most of us know next to nothing about standing rib roast AKA prime rib.
The New York Times recently wrote
about a resurgence in the cut and how more and more restaurants are putting it back on menus. Perhaps it was time to learn a thing or two.

$Rib.jpg

So we spoke with experts in the industry from both Old Homestead Steakhouse and BLT Steak. These are the 10 things you need to know about prime rib.

1. Prime rib is technically a roast, not a steak. That is, unless you slice the ribs into steaks before cooking, in which case it becomes a rib eye steak.

2. To buy prime rib from the butcher, ask for the dry-aged prime rib and specify that you want the meat to be 'prime' (not 'choice') and have a lot of marbling. The more marbling, the more flavorful it will be.
attachment.php

3. A full prime rib is cut from the 6th through 12th ribs of the cow, so seven ribs in total.

In addition to full prime rib, you can get a loin-end rib roast, which is also known as 'first cut'. It's a smaller cut with less fat and is a leaner, more expensive purchase. There's also the chuck-end rib roast or 'second cut' which is cheaper, bigger, and has more layers of fat.

Also, ask the butcher to leave the fat cap on the prime rib. It’s a layer of fat on top of the meat that protects it while cooking and adds tremendous flavor.

Cook your prime rib on the bones without the meat touching the pan [great if you have a pan rack, but you can also use a mirepoix in the bottom of your roasting pan (which is a mixture of raw chopped onions, carrots, and celery...2-1-1 ratio ...and is awesome for making Au jus].

BLT Steak's Corporate Executive Chef Cliff Crooks says to keep the preparation simple with salt and pepper on the outside and roast it slow and evenly at 325 degrees for 30 minutes before testing the internal temperature.

Once done, let it sit for 20 minutes to retain its juices. To see if your prime rib is done, test with a meat thermometer. Rare will be 115 degrees, medium-rare is 120 degrees, medium is 130 degrees and medium-well would be around 140 degrees.

Prime rib is called a 'standing' roast because of the way you cook it".

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/cookingschool/everything-you-need-to-know-about-prime-rib-america%E2%80%99s-new-favorite-cut-of-beef/ar-AA8RoHq

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"I think [prime rib] is the ultimate comfort food..." Chef Tom Colicchio[/FONT]

Last edited:
These are still pretty popular here in cattle country at Christmastide. All the local grocery stores bring them in. And even on sale a 4-6 pound roast is 60-85 dollars depending upon which cut you get. As I said in an earlier post, beef prices are becoming insane even out here in cattle country.

Of course these cuts are staples in local steakhouses year round and plate prices can vary quite a bit. Most of what you see in chain type steakhouses here is going to be the chuck end. The other two cuts mentioned are going to be 35-50 dollars per plate depending upon restaurant. Places like the Savoy Grill and the American in Kansas City will be in the latter camp. Sadly, the Savoy had a horrid fire last December and no one knows if it will reopen. It had been the oldest continuously open and operated hotel and restaurant west of the Mississippi. It opened in 1888. A sad day in K.C.

It has never fallen out of favor in this area, just about every local restaurant does PR as their special on Saturday nights, some just do it better than others. Love me some Prime Rib, but not something I make at home often, others in the house don't have the same affection for it as me.

I've recently been turned on to a great way to cook the perfect standing rib roast (I can't afford prime).

1) Multiply the weight of your roast by 5.

2) Cook in a 500 degree oven for the amount of time of the above sum

3) Turn off oven and leave in for exactly 2 hours (no peaking)

4) Rest 20-30 minutes, carve and serve

I have done this with several roasts now of different sizes and it comes out a perfect medium rare every time.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Where I am I've not seen a rib roast in the store for decades. Find a butcher make his day by asking for a good size bit of beef.

Top Bottom