What's new

Help identifying this razor set?

The ad says gillette set on an auction site. I'm not so sure. All I have is this picture. Is this a gillette set or something else? It still looks interesting but appears to be missing something. Thanks in advance.

$uploadfromtaptalk1425351098449.jpg

I'm only speculating but if you count the large objects and holes it looks like it could all be there. The small center could be for the black razor handle.
Looks like the Gillette logo on the cap. The "set case" looks like a wooden block with a flap lid.

Show us more if you get it.

I was able to find out a little more about this set. Thanks to Linedog who got me pointed in the right direction. It is gillette and this set is missing the Styptic pencil; as it appears from other sets i found on the web. I won the auction for 99 cents plus 7 dollars shipping. Not a bad deal at least in my humble opinion.

From what I found its a 1930s Gillette Tech Travel Kit. Now I have to find a Styptic replacement.

Freebird0064, I am actually surprised that no one else bid on it. I don't know if it's a desirable shaving razor but surely a collector piece.

The seller of the one I won and paid for is asking me to cancel the order because they forgot to put a reserve on the razor. Or at least they say. My guess is it went to low and they just want more out of it.

The seller of the one I won and paid for is asking me to cancel the order because they forgot to put a reserve on the razor. Or at least they say. My guess is it went to low and they just want more out of it.

I would send the email they sent to ebay fraud protection. They cant do that! If the auction ended and you paid for the item it is a legal contract. The seller has no right or expectation for you to correct his incompetence.

dionesius3, that is what I explained in my reply to him. I understand mistakes and other things happen but just to say I didn't have a reserve cancel your order. That just don't sound right.

I knew something weird was going on when I saw this post and then saw the same exact picture elsewhere within a 10 minute time span.

I highly doubt that eBay can or would try to force the seller to send an item, so a refund and negative feedback is probably going to be the best you can do. I am hesitant to mention negative feedback because I can see both sides of the coin: the seller just wants to get the most money possible out of the item and you want a good deal. Unfortunately, it seems like you are working with a seller that isn't going to compromise on getting the most money possible out of the set which may necessitate a bad review.

Online auction sites are a great place for sellers and collectors, but there are occasional hiccups like this. This is an ugly situation from every angle.

Last edited:
You are right if the seller isn't going to send it then he isn't going to. I highly doubt negative feedback will deter to many from buying from this seller if he is a high volume seller. I would like to be fair about this. He could have made an honest mistake. I've been thinking about this since he sent me his email. I have asked sellers to let me out of buying so the right thing to do would be to let him out of selling me the razor. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. So some one else will have an opportunity at this set. He stated his reserve would have been 15 dollars. Still not a bad deal for a collector. I however will not re-bid. I will live to bid another day.

Top Bottom