What's new

Brush Care Question?

Being new to DE shaving, I only have one brush at present which is a boar/badger mix.

Given that I shave everyday, the brush is constantly damp.. Will this shorten the life of the brush? Would I be better getting a second or even a third brush for a proper rotation, allowing each brush to dry out regularly?

Regards,

Peter

must...buy...more...brushes :innocent:

I just re-read that...a "boar-badger mix"?? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

I suppose the brush should be allowed to totally dry. For me, my brushes (best badger) are dry after 24 hours. I rinse thoroughly, squeeze all the water out, then shake out any residual drops, then dry on a towel, gently splaying and turning, then hang on stand...and next day, the brush is dry.

Last edited:
must...buy...more...brushes :innocent:

I just re-read that...a "boar-badger mix"?? I don't think I've ever heard of that.

I suppose the brush should be allowed to totally dry. For me, my brushes (best badger) are dry after 24 hours. I rinse thoroughly, squeeze all the water out, then shake out any residual drops, then dry on a towel, gently splaying and turning, then hang on stand...and next day, the brush is dry.

I do something similar. Mine just sits out on the bathroom counter.

I believe Omega makes a boar and badger mix brush. I sadly don't recall the model, but believe Maggard Razors has it on their website. :)

I apologize for not answering the question. I'll give my opinion now...

I personally feel that having a second brush is a good idea. This gives the one not being used sufficient time to break in and bloom. I also recommend a travel brush, which can be very useful for travels, especially in eliminating the concern of something happening to your brush you brought with you from home. I think that Omega makes a fine brush, and their travel model is the Omega 50014 should you be interested.

I hope that this helps, and I wish you well should you decide to invest in a second or third brush. Remember also, our fathers, grandfathers, etc used the same shaving brush day after day and they held up well for many years. We have learned much about how to care for them, and if you have a good quality brush that is well made, it should last you for many wonderful years to come.

I apologize for not answering the question. I'll give my opinion now...

I personally feel that having a second brush is a good idea. This gives the one not being used sufficient time to break in and bloom. I also recommend a travel brush, which can be very useful for travels, especially in eliminating the concern of something happening to your brush you brought with you from home. I think that Omega makes a fine brush, and their travel model is the Omega 50014 should you be interested.

I hope that this helps, and I wish you well should you decide to invest in a second or third brush. Remember also, our fathers, grandfathers, etc used the same shaving brush day after day and they held up well for many years. We have learned much about how to care for them, and if you have a good quality brush that is well made, it should last you for many wonderful years to come.

Yes, but, did our ancestors have the choices available to us now? Did they live in our contemporary, massive consumerist society? Life was much simpler back then. Maybe it was a good thing?

I believe its a preference and not a necessity to own and use multiple brushes. I have a few brushes but often use one brush exclusively for weeks at a time with no adverse effects to the brush.

Thanks gents..The brush I presently have is a Grosvenor Vulfix 404 which is a boar/badger mix I believe? What concerns me is it never really fully dries out between shaves.

I supposed I could place it somewhere warm, say on a heated towel rail, but again I don't know if this is advisable or not..

I suspect that a second brush will be the answer..I am looking for a travel brush anyway and so in short term that will be able to do double duty until I get something else..

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can't imagine having only one brush, but you can get enough moisture out of the brush to have it dry by the next day. You get a good grip on the handle and whip it about 25 times. Try to aim into the sink or to an area you don't mind covering with the mist of water droplets. Don't lock the brush in a cabinet, it should dry if you leave it out in the open air.

I would suggest to get synthetic brush. It does not need to soak, it dries fast. I have Muhle fibre brush and use it exclusively, never was dry next day. Cant think of better choice for traveling too. Sure it is up to ones preferences.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Allowing a brush to dry thoroughly is a good idea although our ancestors never gave it much thought and used the same brush every day. I prefer rotating 2 brushes to make sure they can get dry between uses.

Again many thanks for all the input...Following advice here, and to err on the side of caution, I've just snagged myself a mint New Forest Finest Silvertip 2213 from Ebay..

Hopefully that will allow one brush to dry while I use the other..

Regards,

Peter

Again many thanks for all the input...Following advice here, and to err on the side of caution, I've just snagged myself a mint New Forest Finest Silvertip 2213 from Ebay..

Hopefully that will allow one brush to dry while I use the other..

Regards,

Peter
That's the way! Now, remember humid weather is coming, and it might take a little longer for the brush to dry. Therefore, you should consider getting another brush (or two, or...). :thumbup1:

Boar bristles tend to stay damp longer. your brush being a mix is probably why it isn't fully drying. I have a boar and badger, I do make sure my boar is dry fully before using it again. Badger's do dry fast, so you might pick one up.

The vast majority of men in the 19th century didn't shave every day. Shaving every day really only began in the 20'th century with WW1 when men had to shave their beards daily to insure their gas masks fitted properly. Mr. KC Gillette supplied all the GIs with his newfangled DE razors with disposable blades and many of those same men when they came back from the Great War continued their habits of shaving using the same shaving tools.

Also, owning more than one shave brush was not uncommon particularly with the improving economies after the Wars nor was it uncommon for many men to still not shave every day. Depending on what their field of work required, of course.

You have already purchased a second brush. A good idea in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom