What's new

For You Shimmers Out There

Hey all,

I just bought a cool piece to hang in my shave den. I have never used a shim on any of my razors. Here is a picture I pulled from the auction but wanted to gauge if there was any interest for some of you to try these out with me. I would be willing to loan several of these out to those who are truly interested and that I know (either through direct contact or site reputation). I would like to eventually get them back to put the piece back together so to speak. These are Minette Shims...not a whole lot of information out there about them but thought it would be fun to try as a group and report back. I know I might be taking a chance with possible loss in the mail and such but wanted to share with my B&B brethren. Let me know if your interested or have any insights or experience with these to share. They look pretty cool to me. Please post in this thread if your interested and I'll PM you to get your shipping address. I am also willing to go overseas on a couple (Edgar?)! Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• $$_57.jpg
    $$_57.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 754
Awesome score.

I don't shim though. Sounds like great fun.

Another experiment.

Gives me an idea about the box full of NOS roller guards I have...

Wow ... I've seen some similar stuff but nothing as cool as that! What an interesting and unusual piece.

Brent, obviously I'd love to try one of those and thanks for the offer, I'm truly grateful my friend. But we never know what might happen when you ship internationally, and it'd be a shame to lose one of those.

I'll be following attentively, though. [emoji6]

Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

That is an interesting shim Brent. I have heard of Single Rings being originally supplied with shims on request. I think Polarbeard has one. The only other one I've come across is the Petard shim shown here:

$D_Petard Shim.jpg

If you have a micrometer can you let us know the thickness of the Minettes?

Cheers, George

That's so cool!! I shim my Old Type and15c with an old cut blade and it works well. Never seen any shims made by companies. That's very nice to offer to share a few to fellow members on loan. Are you sure you want to remove them from the frame and possible loss by post office?

That is an interesting shim Brent. I have heard of Single Rings being originally supplied with shims on request. I think Polarbeard has one. The only other one I've come across is the Petard shim shown here:

If you have a micrometer can you let us know the thickness of the Minettes?

Cheers, George

If I can get my hands on one I surely will. I may be able to get pretty close with my feeler gauges I have used in the past to adjust blade gaps on tweaked Adjustables. The Petard looks cool too.

So far I'm having trouble discerning who is in. Ha. This is who I think is in so far. I'll probably limit this to 6 participants.

1. bakerbarber
2. DrAwkward
3. Skinny Rogers
4. Rallypoint_1
5.?
6.?

if I got it wrong please let me know. Let's get these last few spots filled up. Still waiting to receive them but I never have not received something I purchased. Fingers crossed. I have never had anything go missing as it relates to shipping razor items either. Fingers crossed a little more. Ha. I just thought it was interesting and unique and I was already thinking this would be a cool pass-around when I purchased it.

I would have loved to try one of these too - they look way cool.

However, I have to decline due to the same reasons as Edgar - don't want one of them getting lost in shipment. Also, India is half the world away - whether you go east or west.

Is that a shim, or is it to guard the open comb? From the advert, I don't see how adding a shim converts an 'Old' into a "modern razor".

Is that a shim, or is it to guard the open comb? From the advert, I don't see how adding a shim converts an 'Old' into a "modern razor".

Thats an interesting perspective and a question we will know the answer to in a few days hopefully. The pieces do not look as wide as a OT base plate though. Even in the illustration the Minnette looks about as wide as the top cap. I'll post some pics up as soon as I get them.

Top Bottom