What's new

The Kid's First Shave!

I mentor an "at risk" teenager (and I learned this is quite an understatement). One of the painful realities is that there are few adult male role models in his life besides drug dealers and other street thugs (his biological father--who by choice and legal barriers--included). In fact, when he was in middle school remarked that he could not think of even one friend who had a father who lived in the house...

"The Kid," as I'll refer to him, is a bit small for his age (confidentiality restrictions prevent me from using his real name), and at 16 has been getting slightly more noticeable peach fuzz, which he was thrilled that I even noticed. He was aware of my wet shaving hobby and asked if I could show him how to shave.

On one hand I was delighted to. Working with him I learned he has no positive childhood memories with his father (and not many with his mother either, unfortunately). But The Kid is very impulsive and, well, doesn't always focus well.

I had some shave soap samples and he picked out Maggard's Barbershop. He quickly got a decent lather worked up in the bowl and put it on his face. I had to think carefully: if left to his druthers he'd scrape 5 layers of skin off in search of the barely visible hairs! I layed out a towel and pre-dialed 911 on my phone "in case he cut himself badly" (that got his attention!) I said for the first pass, don't worry about the hair, just scrape off the lather.

I demonstrated and he followed very carefully. He did a great job! More fun was we wiped the razor on the towel and could see the shaved hairs (more prominently than on his face!), and he was truly excited. "Those are my hairs?" Yup..

I explained the "scrape off the lather" technique was all he had to do--slicing off "skin" would be really painful. We did two passes and then applied some witch hazel and bay rum. He looked carefully in the mirror while massaging his face, looked at me and smiled broadly, "now I feel like a real man!"

As we cleaned up I pondered the irony: The Kid had already been involved with stuff that would make your blood curdle, but rarely anything that made him proud or even good about himself. Letting him enjoy his first shave was a great experience to share.

That is an awesome story! Thanks for giving of yourself to this young man. I'm sure y'all will always remember this proud day!

Kudos to you sir. I'm certain "The Kid" is under the charge of a great mentor.

Thanks, but I only wish that were true and, even if true that it would be enough.

Not where I wanted to go with this thread, but just to share a little: when I was connected to The Kid I was incredibly fortunate: we "connected" and I got to see and experience the sweetest, most wonderful 13 year old kid you would ever imagine. Unfortunately due to a childhood of abuse and dysfunction he is truly a wounded soul. He has violent rages that he can barely control which he directs at everyone--except me! Even his therapist was amazed because of the relationship we've been able to maintain over the years. I told him he was like the Moon in that it only shows the same side to the Earth. I was lucky because he always showed me his good side. To just about everyone else he showed his dark side.

Sadly it often seems like a hopeless cause: the dysfunction is deep and insidious. Every good deed finds a way of fueling the dysfunction. For example, The Kid is currently in a residential treatment facility: due to his emotional instability he can rarely go to school for a week without getting into a fight. Moreover on the street he has fallen in with the wrong crowd. As a last intervention he was sent to this facility. I visit him every week and have offered rides to his mother and other family members, but in the last 6 months she only went once--and that was a court-required visit. In the beginning, even after a good visit he gets filled with melancholy that I, a stranger, visits him but his family won't. That night he would get into a fight with the staff or one of the other residents. I had to consider whether it would be better to stop visiting him as well to break this cycle, or to continue showing my commitment to him.

Our shaving day was great--but I dread a rebound this week. The past few weeks, though, he's been extremely good, though. One of the staff at the facility shared how great he's been and that they could see now why I stayed committed to him. I learned early that mentoring at-risk youth is often a two-steps forward/three-steps back experience...

You my friend are truly awesome. This is one of the most important things you'll ever do in your life. Keep up the good work. You're the ONLY thing that's stable in his life, so stay the course and the impact on him will be huge. You're saving a life here most likely.

The shave can be something you both make a routine. These kids are never taught how to tie a tie, change a tire, polish their shoes, etc

Bless you for your dedication!!

You sir are what it means to be a gentleman. "The Kid" shows you his "good side" because your honesty and true nature shine through to him. Not many people will take the time to talk to kids in his position let alone show him how to shave. He sees that it is something you take seriously and the fact that you would show him is important to him.

Thank you for what you're doing in his life. Also, thank you for being an example to everyone around both of you. Ripples spread far and wide.

I'll be praying for you both and may God continue to bless both of you.

You my friend are truly awesome. This is one of the most important things you'll ever do in your life. Keep up the good work. You're the ONLY thing that's stable in his life, so stay the course and the impact on him will be huge. You're saving a life here most likely.

On one hand I understand what you mean, but the humbling fact is I am a band-aid on a dagger that is repeatedly plunged into his heart. Every time his mother expresses her regret ever having him and he is aware that a man who was randomly assigned to him cares more about him than his own father I see him filled with a rage that is sometimes directed towards whoever happened to trigger him, but ultimately is him hurting himself. Every so often--when he is so upset that he doesn't hold back his pain--he shares he believes he's being punished for something and he doesn't deserve to be alive. It breaks my heart, and unfortunately any attempt to console him during those moments only makes the pain worse for him.

The shave can be something you both make a routine. These kids are never taught how to tie a tie, change a tire, polish their shoes, etc

... nor how to cover their mouths when they yawn! Apparently that is a courtesy that has gone out-of-fashion, unfortunately!

We'll have to see how fast the fuzz grows back!

-raf

It's a monumental task indeed. There's no easy fix in this sort of thing and his issues will be major and many. But your kindness and love are a beacon of light in a world of darkness, so never doubt the value of what you're doing.

Great moment with your son. Congrats.

Do you actually read posts, or just blindly make comments?

OP, you're a kind and patient person. You're a positive influence in this young man's life. A child without a mentor or role model is like a boat with no rudder. You can't fix all of his troubles, but every second and calorie you burn spending time with him will pay dividends throughout his life. Kudos to you and your efforts, and I wish this young man the best.

That shaving experience with him sounds great. You are doing a wonderful thing for this kid.
One thing you can try is let him know that he can't control what other people do, but he can control how he reacts to it. He can also decide for himself how he wants to feel. He CAN choose whether he wants it to get him down or not. Of course he is still in his teens so emotions tend to run wild. And nothing is a cure all. Sometimes things will come at a rush. Hope things go better.
Great job.

I mentor an "at risk" teenager (and I learned this is quite an understatement). One of the painful realities is that there are few adult male role models in his life besides drug dealers and other street thugs (his biological father--who by choice and legal barriers--included). In fact, when he was in middle school remarked that he could not think of even one friend who had a father who lived in the house...

"The Kid," as I'll refer to him, is a bit small for his age (confidentiality restrictions prevent me from using his real name), and at 16 has been getting slightly more noticeable peach fuzz, which he was thrilled that I even noticed. He was aware of my wet shaving hobby and asked if I could show him how to shave.

On one hand I was delighted to. Working with him I learned he has no positive childhood memories with his father (and not many with his mother either, unfortunately). But The Kid is very impulsive and, well, doesn't always focus well.

I had some shave soap samples and he picked out Maggard's Barbershop. He quickly got a decent lather worked up in the bowl and put it on his face. I had to think carefully: if left to his druthers he'd scrape 5 layers of skin off in search of the barely visible hairs! I layed out a towel and pre-dialed 911 on my phone "in case he cut himself badly" (that got his attention!) I said for the first pass, don't worry about the hair, just scrape off the lather.

I demonstrated and he followed very carefully. He did a great job! More fun was we wiped the razor on the towel and could see the shaved hairs (more prominently than on his face!), and he was truly excited. "Those are my hairs?" Yup..

I explained the "scrape off the lather" technique was all he had to do--slicing off "skin" would be really painful. We did two passes and then applied some witch hazel and bay rum. He looked carefully in the mirror while massaging his face, looked at me and smiled broadly, "now I feel like a real man!"

As we cleaned up I pondered the irony: The Kid had already been involved with stuff that would make your blood curdle, but rarely anything that made him proud or even good about himself. Letting him enjoy his first shave was a great experience to share.

Right on, man!

Thanks, but I only wish that were true and, even if true that it would be enough.

Not where I wanted to go with this thread, but just to share a little: when I was connected to The Kid I was incredibly fortunate: we "connected" and I got to see and experience the sweetest, most wonderful 13 year old kid you would ever imagine. Unfortunately due to a childhood of abuse and dysfunction he is truly a wounded soul. He has violent rages that he can barely control which he directs at everyone--except me! Even his therapist was amazed because of the relationship we've been able to maintain over the years. I told him he was like the Moon in that it only shows the same side to the Earth. I was lucky because he always showed me his good side. To just about everyone else he showed his dark side.

Sadly it often seems like a hopeless cause: the dysfunction is deep and insidious. Every good deed finds a way of fueling the dysfunction. For example, The Kid is currently in a residential treatment facility: due to his emotional instability he can rarely go to school for a week without getting into a fight. Moreover on the street he has fallen in with the wrong crowd. As a last intervention he was sent to this facility. I visit him every week and have offered rides to his mother and other family members, but in the last 6 months she only went once--and that was a court-required visit. In the beginning, even after a good visit he gets filled with melancholy that I, a stranger, visits him but his family won't. That night he would get into a fight with the staff or one of the other residents. I had to consider whether it would be better to stop visiting him as well to break this cycle, or to continue showing my commitment to him.

Our shaving day was great--but I dread a rebound this week. The past few weeks, though, he's been extremely good, though. One of the staff at the facility shared how great he's been and that they could see now why I stayed committed to him. I learned early that mentoring at-risk youth is often a two-steps forward/three-steps back experience...

Don't stop visiting the kid unless his therapist approaches you about it. The kid needs a role model outside of the facility and away from the crowd he was running around with.

A lifetime of abuse and dysfunction is destructive, and being a stable and caring role model can help pick up the pieces. Who knows, you may be the biggest factor in keeping from slipping away completely. Stick with him, despite the difficulty. Teach him and give home guidance. It sounds like you are all he really has.

Top Bottom