What's new

New project - Synthetic suggestions

Picked this brush up at a local antique store.
I really like the look of this handle.
Knot has already been removed.

I have a badger, and a boar brush.
I have never tried a synthetic knot.

I am a soap or shave stick user. With this in mind, I am open to suggestions.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425320281.228459.jpg

Such a simple brush, but the patina is awesome! I won't go synthetic (no good reason!), but looking forward to your finished brush!

I think Virginia Sheng has a couple of different styles of synthetics and The golden nib has one. You may want to do a forum search on these. I would go this route for a first brush rather than a fancy Plisson because of the cost.

I think that synthetics (Vic Shaving/Virginia Shaving 'New' synthectics & TGN 3-band synthetic) work very well for face lathering and have the necessary brush characteristics to be fine bowl latherers too. I have both in 20mm and like them a bit - the VS is a little more dense. Both splay on my check and neck easily and are a pleasure to use when face lathering. Loft setting is key - as I think they work well at 53-55mm depending on knot diameter. Virginia Sheng has a Aliexpress store that has additional sizes - 22 and 24mm synthetics.

Spang,
Thank you for the links.
That is just the kind of feedback I have been looking for.
I have looked at Whipped Dog synthetic, as I really like his Silvertip badger.
But have not heard much about his synthetics.
I will have to check out Virginia Sheng for sure.

Spang,
Thank you for the links.
That is just the kind of feedback I have been looking for.
I have looked at Whipped Dog synthetic, as I really like his Silvertip badger.
But have not heard much about his synthetics.
I will have to check out Virginia Sheng for sure.
If you end up ordering from VS, you might consider adding one of her silvertips to your order. I've used VS silvertip knots for several restores and I like them very much. If you like the WD silvertip, I think you'll find the VS silvertip very much to your liking. Here's a little more on that topic:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/447187-Ever-Ready-836A

Top Bottom