What's new

Under my nose is a problem

Despite owning many razors I still have the problem of completely cleaning the few remain hairs under each nostril. I have tried stretching the skin, using the edge of the blade but invariably I end up with cuts. Disappointing having invested so much money in my DE's so I have had to resort to a Mach 3 to tidy up this area and it just ruins the whole shaving experience. At least it works with a bit of effort and no nicks. Surprisingly my Mongoose does an excellent job cleaning up under my nose but I still cannot that absolute clean shave. Even thought my SS Feather Kamisori might be the answer but to no avail. Any thoughts?

XTG passes in opposite directions might help.

I'm sure our experts will be able to help. They'll need to know which profile we're talking about though.

proxy.php

I'm using a Futur, which is on the large side. At first, I couldn't get that same area you mention, as perfect as I wanted. I wasn't happy, but figured I might have to mach 3 it. I read somewhere on here about pushing the tip of my nose up or to the side. It works. :thumbup1:

I had the same problem for a little while. What works for me is going XTG towards my nose and then adding a slight ATG flip under each nostril. It cleans out those few remaining hairs without any nicks or irritation.

Take it slow in the area and keep working at it, you will find what works for you.

Have you tried sticking your fingers in your nostrils and yanking your nose up as high as it can do? That's doing the trick for me now. The first four or five years wet shaving I was using a Mach 3 under the nose, too. When I tried to get up there with my DE razor I would cut myself and have a little red Hitler mustache for the day. Now I feel like I have real nice "touch" and can up there and get the job done. But yanking my nose around really helps.

Have you tried sticking your fingers in your nostrils and yanking your nose up as high as it can do? That's doing the trick for me now. The first four or five years wet shaving I was using a Mach 3 under the nose, too. When I tried to get up there with my DE razor I would cut myself and have a little red Hitler mustache for the day. Now I feel like I have real nice "touch" and can up there and get the job done. But yanking my nose around really helps.

+1

yeah, still using a disposable to get that last little bit for me. I am getting better and better with the DE there though. random stretching and pulling until I find hte right angle for now.

I find a mild razor like a Tech combined with short strokes (1/4" or less in length) done carefully ATG right under the nose gives me a close shave without cuts. Most of the upper lip needs a XTG pass, maybe mixed with a mild 'Gillette Slide". It is definitely a problem area and I cannot get a decent shave there with a more aggressive razor.

You could buy a winch from harbor freight, with a nice remote control of course, and attach it to the ceiling above your sink. A couple of cable clamps and presto; easy access! :lol:

I have been j hooking to get that last little bit. I tried placing the head of the razor under my nose and rotating it to get up close. I cut my nose twice doing that. Using the J hook I can kind of swipe into the nostril, granted I have a lot of real estate for a nose.

This might not be the answer for you but I use noxema bikini razors from Wal-Mart. They are tiny razors and work great for my. Also helps clean up around the eyebrow if you need to.

I should also mention, I can only find them in the summer. During the winter I order then on Amazon.

Moustache hair was always hard to shave down for me, even in cart days. I have been paying more attention since going to DE. Someone here described a method, and may have cited a source somewhere, saying to just use very short and light strokes, and many of them. Each stroke chips the whiskers down a little. Do not try to get the blade down to the skin unless and until the wiry whiskers have been cut manageably short. Someone else was describing getting at the stubborn under-the-chin hairs as "buffing" the razor, which is a very similar technique.

For the whiskers under my nose I angle the razor. So instead of being WTG ATG or XTG I am hybriding a W/XTG. So on the right side I angle my razor to the left and down. About a 45degree angle to the floor, maybe a little more. Reversed on the left side (angled to the right and down) I use just the edge(?) of the blade-that is the corner of the blade. I use short strokes. So under my right nostril I pull down and to the left making sure the blade is not sliding sideways at all. Under left nostril down and tho the right.
Hope this makes sense. I'll try and post a picture later if you need a visual.
No need for mach 3.

Last edited:
Usually if there's a few stragglers I will shave side to side just under the nostril to get them. Otherwise grow a mustache. ;)

Top Bottom