What's new

Ceramic painting - customized myself a bowl

In my area, there is a chain of outfits that let you pick out and paint your own ceramic items. When you're done, you leave it with them and they fire it and it comes back to you all glazed.

My girlfriend asked me to go along with her yesterday, as she wanted to do an item up as a gift for her aunt. We have done this before together, but the first time was before I was into this wetshaving stuff. The first time around I had done a coffee mug, but now I was looking for something to do duty as a shave bowl.

What I ended up settling on was intended to be an ice cream bowl; the ridges in the item were those of a waffle cone, but I saw them and thought about grip when wet and assisted lather production.

when the painting is in progress, the color is actually quite different than the finished product will look. Everything usually ends up darkening when fired, but as the paint goes on it's got a pastel appearance for most colors. You also have to put down about three coats to get opacity.

i will post back later with the finished product, but in the meantime enjoy the attached pictures.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 181
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 181
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 182
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 181
Very nice. I did something similar. I used the puff paint on the inside, to create dots, and lines. It's now my favorite lathering bowl.

You'd best get that thing glued down before gravity takes it!

sorry, it's an iPhone thing. The phone knows what orientation is appropriate for the picture based on meta data associated with the photo, but the forum doesn't account for it so it's sideways.

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing the finished product, for sure!

Stick around, but I probably have to wait until next week to post it. It won't be released from the ceramic shop until Saturday and then my girlfriend's mom has to pick it up, pass it to my girlfriend, who would then have to pass it to me. Details details.

Stick around, but I probably have to wait until next week to post it. It won't be released from the ceramic shop until Saturday and then my girlfriend's mom has to pick it up, pass it to my girlfriend, who would then have to pass it to me. Details details.

Totally understandable ;) we'll await your update post :)

I left my girlfriend in charge of recovering the bowl from the shop... and... she let it get broken by some moron passerby in a restaurant before even getting it back home. I told her I still want the pieces to see if it can be salvaged. She claims it's in two pieces and when pressed for details seems to think it's a clean break. We'll see if it will epoxy back together well enough to hold water without looking ugly as sin.

I left my girlfriend in charge of recovering the bowl from the shop... and... she let it get broken by some moron passerby in a restaurant before even getting it back home. I told her I still want the pieces to see if it can be salvaged. She claims it's in two pieces and when pressed for details seems to think it's a clean break. We'll see if it will epoxy back together well enough to hold water without looking ugly as sin.

What?! What a shame! I can imagine you'd be extremely annoyed!!!

The big question. Why was it out in the open, at a restaurant? Why wasn't it wrapped up, in a bag?
My wife has broken too many of my homemade coffee mugs, and chili bowls. She isn't allowed to wash them, or put them up, anymore.
She definitely isn't allowed to touch my homemade lathering bowl.
She is accident prone.

Top Bottom