What's new

Am I allowed to wear certain fragrances without a suit and tie?

I think it's funny how people try and make rules for when to wear a certain fragrance. :laugh: Like, "you really shouldn't wear this with jeans and a t-shirt, it's mainly a scent you would wear to a board meeting or an interview." Or "Czech and Speake 88 should only be worn in somber settings like a funeral." :laugh: I wear Dickies cargo pants, a t-shirt and baseball cap everyday at my work. If I waited for these particular settings before I squirted some juice, my bottles would last for millenia! I say, if you like the way it smells, spray it on.

I just wore my wife's Calandre today while doing home renovation repair in my welding jacket. Wear what you enjoy whenever you want is my motto.

Never bought into these ridiculous, nonsensical rules. I will however admit, some work environments call for specific scents (e.g. subtle, not cloying, etc.).

Some scents create an impression in my mind that they go better with certain clothing, but you should wear what you feel like wearing regardless of clothing.

When choosing a fragrance, I find weather more of an issue than my attire or the day's activities.

Exactly! I'd be lying if I said I don't try to coordinate certain fragrances with a suit and tie, but I will wear those same "suit and tie" frags with jeans and muddy boots. I'm more concerned with fragrances being weather-appropriate. I.e.- I'm not likely to wear TF Tobacco Vanille in mid-July, and Eau Sauvage is not one I typically pull out in January. Obviously, these lines can be skated too, but there is legitimacy to scents being too potent in hot weather and, by the same token, scents being undetectable in the cold.

This is all personal and subjective, of course. So I say wear what you like when you like.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You should only wear Axe if you're trying to cover up last nights binge drinking at work the next morning.
You should only wear Stetson with tight starched blue jeans, cowboy hat & boots optional.

On a serious note wear what you like and like what you wear. Fragrance rules? Pssh.

When choosing a fragrance, I find weather more of an issue than my attire or the day's activities.

This exactly. There are some scents that I absolutely love, but can't see myself using in warm weather. Or cold weather, depending. So for me, it is about season/weather rather than the clothing.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree that one should consider those you may be around when choosing a scent, whether it be on the strength or the nature of the scent. However, any so-called "rule" about what sort of scent goes with what sort of clothing or occasion is nonsense.

Sometimes, folks make up so-called "rules" just for the purpose of looking down upon those who do not "follow" them. Nothing more, and nothing less.

That's what I think as well... Every night, I sniff all my soaps - and then decide on a whim which sent I'm going with. I then match the aftershave scent to the soap. But sometimes I don't. I have no rules, just wear what I want.

I'm not the only crazy one! I just got some scented soaps last week and I can't stop smelling them every time I walk by the bathroom. I'm a recent convert and can't get enough of soap that smells good.

Top Bottom