What's new

Muhle Genuine Horn Handle issue

Hi everyone,

I am new to this form and have read many of the existing posts on care and maintenance of horn handles. I noticed after using my new Muhle buffalo horn brush twice they are some slight cracks around what appears to be the natural rings in the horn. Since this is my first horn brush I was wondering if this is normal? I could have sworn they weren't there when I unboxed it.

Also it seems these brushes are pretty rare, I couldn't even find a photo of the base of it online to compare! Here is mine, the cracks protrude slightly so you can feel them when you run your fingers along the base.

$IMG_2688.jpg
Just a few notes, I did not submerge the entire handle in the water, just the hairs. I also used warm water and not very hot water.

Lastly I just want to mention how helpful and polite everyone is on this forum, I have read many posts after taking up wet shaving and you all have helped me learn a lot! If only every forum was like this!

From my understanding those fissures are quite normal for horn handles. You can treat that with Neatsfoot oil to keep the horn hydrated and stabilized. Good luck.

When I ran into the same situation with my Romera horn brush, I applied three coats of (pure) neatsfoot oil and then a coat of Renaissance Wax. Several people (woodworkers) told me that this is the best protection available. If you use only the neatsfoot oil, you'll want to reapply it annually. I'm not sure how long the Renaissance wax is supposed to last.

I use neatsfoot oil on my horn handles, make sure you get the 100% pure stuff. I apply sparingly to the entire handle and let it soak in for 24 hours before wiping off the excess. After using a horn brush for a while it gets pretty intuitive when it needs more oil as the texture and appearance will change as the horn starts to dry. In my rotation I could easily get away with one application a year, but if used pretty regularly and stored in a matter that would accelerate the drying process (on a window sill for instance) then more frequent applications may be necessary. That is a great looking brush, take care of it!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will definitely pick up some neatsfoot oil. Does anyone know where this is available in Canada? It seems fairly common online in the US, but here in Quebec all my searches are coming up blank!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will definitely pick up some neatsfoot oil. Does anyone know where this is available in Canada? It seems fairly common online in the US, but here in Quebec all my searches are coming up blank!

Have you tried Canadian Tire or Home Hardware? I know Home Hardware carries it. Also, you can buy it on Amazon.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Mineral oil works and is recommended also. If you use Neatsfoot oil make sure you get "pure" because the "compound" contains solvents.

The package says neatsfoot oil and does not mention any additives. It is for baseball gloves and saddles etc. It is a light yellow and costs 7.50 for a small bottle of 8 ounces. Unfortunately it doesn't specify that it is 100% pure either...

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The package says neatsfoot oil and does not mention any additives. It is for baseball gloves and saddles etc. It is a light yellow and costs 7.50 for a small bottle of 8 ounces. Unfortunately it doesn't specify that it is 100% pure either...
I'm just guessing; "pure" costs more than "compound" which is also called "prime" sometimes. Your price for 8 oz. is in line with the more expensive "pure". You could google the brand to check if the label isn't clear.

OK so I will bite the bullet and test it. I just put some on my finger and rubbed it into the base only. If there are solvents in it it should be dry by tomorrow so we shall see!

Turns out moneysworth and best is a blend (I emailed the manufacturer)... Unfortunately I already put a touch of it on the base. It looks hydrated today though I will not use this one again.. Will this damage the horn?

When I ran into the same situation with my Romera horn brush, I applied three coats of (pure) neatsfoot oil and then a coat of Renaissance Wax. Several people (woodworkers) told me that this is the best protection available. If you use only the neatsfoot oil, you'll want to reapply it annually. I'm not sure how long the Renaissance wax is supposed to last.
That's the best and simplest way of keeping horn alive. Straight razor scales made of horn and tortoise love neatsfoot oil as well, and it is part of my regular razor maintaining procedure. Trouble is when you have too many razors to maintain :)

Top Bottom