What's new

Bird Sightings

Not sure if there is a post like this. If not, post your bird sighting.

Today I saw a Bald Eagle out near the estuary.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Excellent idea for a thread . We put out some bird seed yesterday, but our only visitor was a female Cardinal.

When i was in nh and had a bad winter, i put sunflower seed out. Birds were in tough shape as food was covered, to my surprise i had over 20 cardinals feeding for a while. With the northeast winter, it may not be a bad idea for folks up there to consider it. Im in fl now and the wife saw flocks of birds heading out, presumably north, they will be hungry for sure.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
From Martin Lemay...
A weasel riding a woodpecker.

$Weasle riding a woodpecker.JPG

When i was in nh and had a bad winter, i put sunflower seed out. Birds were in tough shape as food was covered, to my surprise i had over 20 cardinals feeding for a while. With the northeast winter, it may not be a bad idea for folks up there to consider it. Im in fl now and the wife saw flocks of birds heading out, presumably north, they will be hungry for sure.
I'm up in NH, seacoast region. The birds will certainly be hungry and more and more are arriving everyday.

I have some bird seed in a feeder outside my patio window. We see mostly doves, cardinals, wrens, but sometimes my favorite, the tuffed ***-mouse.
cottontop

From Martin Lemay...
A weasel riding a woodpecker.

View attachment 554016

Saw this amazing shot, too. The weasel is trying to kill the woodpecker. Not sure about the species of woodpecker, but it's not North American; probably Indian, Asian, or South American.

Nothing but the usual feeder birds here. Cardinals, nuthatches, chickadees, woodpeckers, and finches. Thought I saw a redpoll earlier today, but it was still rather dark outside at the time.

Don

update: It's a green woodpecker, from Europe.

Last edited:
This morning saw two ornery Canada geese, then one of the resident Bald Eagles flew over head as I walked up to the utility building for my shower. Afterwards, on the way to work I looked up from my m/c as I rode along, and saw two more Bald Eagles doing a mating dance in the sky. I figure the good omens of three eagles definitely outdoes the pure evil that is the Canada Goose.

We have eight bird feeding stations in our yard, between niger seed feeders for the finches, black sunflower, mealworms, suet, peanuts, safflower and mixed seed. We get cardinals, goldfinches, blue jays, woodpeckers, house finches, brown creepers, nuthatches, robins, mockingbirds, catbirds, Carolina wrens, chickadees, titmice, juncos, grackles and red-winged blackbirds. Too many doves and starlings, and the occasional hawk who thinks we have put out a smorgasbord just for his benefit.

It has been interesting in the last month with ducks 30 or so picking in a cattle feed lot with nigh time temperatures at -5. Two eagles and the robins and starlings are back in small numbers picking in the yard.

Lots of cool waterfowl and predators. Did not have the Snowy Owls we had last year. Looking forward to the Warblers return.

Tom

I have some bird seed in a feeder outside my patio window. We see mostly doves, cardinals, wrens, but sometimes my favorite, the tuffed ***-mouse.
cottontop

Interesting, central Florida and central Michigan have the same birds. We have been feeding these same birds plus several blue jays and wood peckers. Looking forward to the return of hummingbirds in about a month. And yes, we love the tuffed ***-mouse too.

I spotted the first Robins of the spring on Friday (Mar 13) as well as the first returning Canada Geese. There is still ice on the ponds and lakes around here. On Sunday while driving I spotted a very forlorn looking goose standing on some ice looking at a tiny patch of open water.

Saw two female cardinals in my front yard yesterday.

Today I went down to Toronto's harbour, which is still mostly iced in, and I got a close look at several red breasted mergansers in an open patch of water just off the wharf. Also two mute swans with their heads tucked in their wings, paddling against the wind.

Top Bottom