What's new

temporarily fixing a strop

Im waiting on a tony miller to get here but while im waiting i still gotta strop on my homemade strop which has some serious nicks on it that can be fept with my nail i have 400 grit is there any way to fix it temporarily with the 400 hrit i have or should i just wait or be extra careful thanks guys

Yea lol there pretty bad they feel like little clicks they dont stop the blade but you can definately feel them and hear them

Without the strop in hand it's hard to advise. Pictures?

Some vintage strops had a secondary that is kind of a waffelized leather. I doubt that your nicks are as rough as that.

Uunfortunately i jist tried and cant upload it on my phone i made the strop from dark brown leather scraps i bought at michaels it does apear to have some kind of dye in ot because it came out when i wet the strop with lather and flatten it the nicks are about one centimeter in length and have flaps of leather coming off of them if i run the blade over them in the wrong direction if im going the opposite direction i cannot feel them stropping they arent deep and the leather is about two milimeters thick sorry i cant get a pic up my computers dead and my year and a half old twin boys destroyed the charger lol id definately assume the nicks could cause an interference in stropping im not sure if i should cut the flaps off or sand them and if 400 grit sandpaper would cause too uneven and abrasive of a surface to strop on

Thanks thats what im gonna do never thought about that i got a bunch of de blades layin aroumd too lol

Top Bottom