What's new

Why Does Shaving Provoke Heated Discussions?

I don't know about you, but as I get into this hobby, I find myself getting too involved. I have many work pressures but I still sneak looks at this and other forums often. Moreover, I let myself get worked up when others are being rude or insulting to me or various newbies (not at B&B). I can understand liking or disliking something. I can understand not agreeing with someone or wanting to inform someone of a factual error. But I do find odd that opinions on everything from soap to honing to which razors people like can lead to virtual shouting matches or to derogatory comments for no good reason. I realize this is what happens when people get passionate about a hobby. But I still find it off-putting.

In less gentlemanly places than B&B, people can be so nasty I actually get upset. Then I remember it's shaving and laugh at myself.

Still, I do wonder why with such a wonderful pastime that it is so hard to get along.

It's not the pastime, it's just the inherent nature of the internet. This forum is one of the most civil online locations I've ever seen.

(I help moderate a forum for automobile enthusiasts, and trust me: compared to car geeks, wet shavers are the most gentlemanly people imaginable!)

It's not the pastime, it's just the inherent nature of the internet. This forum is one of the most civil online locations I've ever seen.

+1+

Try a firearms forum if you want to run into some really rude jack wagons. I'm very firearm <gun nut> oriented and there isn't a single firearm forum I will visit, except for the occasional foray into the B&B firearm threads.

Last edited:
I agree with Montanan - this was the first online forum of which I was ever an active member, and having joined a few others since*,
B&B is far and away the most civilised and gentlemanly I've seen. Some people go ballistic over trivial garbage.

*they were fragrance fora, have since quit one, and am less active nowadays on the other.

The older I get the less I want to be around people that believe insulting behavior is funny or entertaining. Like bberg mentions, some of the gun boards I've spent time at are just digital cage matches to the proverbial death, especially on Friday and Saturday night when it appears many have imbibed and inhibitions are reduced, each trying to out-do the other with way too much time spent quoting and requoting. There are more important things in life :)

I have not seen many of those "heated discussions" that you are talking about on this site. If anything, people go out of their way to a fault to avoid confrontation. For example, I was in a thread one time where a very well respected poster actually posted the often used and overly diplomatic "YMMV" in answer to the question of whether one is able to shave with both hands! It's a yes or no proposition, either you are able to do it or not; it's not a matter of your mileage may vary.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've certainly seen some passionate discussion, but I cannot recall anyone getting out of line without it being addressed promptly.

Sorry if I was misleading. This site is marvelous and friendly. I've just been surfing the web too much and some other sites seem like nuclear reactors compared to this one.

I deeply appreciate the civilized world that the mods and the participants of this den have created here. And I am grateful.

No matter where I go, when guys are together, shaving is always a topic of conversation. I used to tell people about traditional wet shaving, but as the years have gone by I just keep my opinions quiet. It seems that people are very passionate in the way they think and shaving is one thing that is polarizing. The latest hot topic seems to be Dollar Shave club and several people I work with have bought in to it.

As far as the internet, most shaving forums are more civilized than the run of the mill forums. I used to spend quite a bit of time on the bike and college football forums, but I got sick of the bickering. I often wonder if the participants that are really out there act the way in real life like they do on forums. If, so they all must be single or living in their parents basement.

In less gentlemanly places than B&B, people can be so nasty I actually get upset.

This is why I never leave B&B.

Is this heaven?
No, it's B&B
B&B? I could have sworn this was heaven.
Is there a heaven?
Oh yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.
Maybe this is heaven.

People will say (type) many things impersonally that they would not say to someone's face. That can be the downside of impersonal internet fora like this.

It is not that hard to be civil and B&B is proof of that.

These days everyone is published without an editor.

I would say B&B makes us listen to our editor; the voice of grandma/grandpa.

+1+

Try a firearms forum if you want to run into some really rude jack wagons. I'm very firearm <gun nut> oriented and there isn't a single firearm forum I will visit, except for the occasional foray into the B&B firearm threads.

WHAT HE SAID. the internet give people anonymity and let's them be tough guys and of course they know everything! B&B is the most civil forum I have every been on is my current favorite.

WHAT HE SAID. the internet give people anonymity and let's them be tough guys and of course they know everything! B&B is the most civil forum I have every been on is my current favorite.

Of course. We don't have to be pretend to be internet tough guys. We know we're tough guys. We shave with super sharp, unguarded open blades...we'd do it dry too if we didn't like our litany of soaps, creams and aftershaves so well...and if we weren't concerned over irritation hot spots...or the extra wear on the edge...or how it might affect our grain mappings for each pass...

Now, you wanted heated discussion...lapping film versus stones, GO! :tongue_sm

Men with sharpened steel have always been moved to disagree at times. Shaving is no different.

(I help moderate a forum for automobile enthusiasts, and trust me: compared to car geeks, wet shavers are the most gentlemanly people imaginable!)
Gun forums can also be less than civil. This is by and large a pretty decent forum.

It's not just here, other forums, or the hobby....it is just people in general. I lead run a 4x4 off road club and forum and so many "manly men" get "butt hurt" or are otherwise rude to others because they think they know better, know it all, or are never wrong. Such is the way of the world today....

I think the basic fault lies in the over use of computers and cell phones. People mouth off and try to start argumentative threads. Knowing that they are safe from reprisals. Face to face most would never make the same comments because they are aware that somebody might take offence. Running ones mouth can hurt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom