What's new

Cast Iron Pot Lid Handles

I picked up three enameled cast iron pots recently - a Lodge Dutch Oven, a Tramontina 2.5 quart saucepan and yesterday I picked up my first Le Creuset piece, a 1.75 quart saucepan. I can definitely see the difference in quality between the enameling (I only used the Tremontina a few times and I already see a little chip on the rim). The all seem to do what they are supposed to do but for me the biggest difference is that the Le Creuset has a nice bakelite handle on the lid that doesn't get too hot. The other two both have metal handles that get really hot, even when using on the stovetop. There is a gourmet cooking supply store near my house in Brooklyn where I bought the Le Creuset saucepan yesterday - I noticed that they sell Le Creuset replacement bakelite handles (not cheap at $15 each). I think I will replace the metal pot lid handles with bakelite - somebody somewhere must accidentally burn themselves every day with the metal ones. Also, I have one silicon pot handle - I think I might pick up a couple more (I use case iron pans as well). Definitely worth the money not to get a burn.

I have a Staub cocotte that comes with a metal handle. I considered replacing the handle, but ended up leaving it because I think it makes the cocotte look much nicer. There is definitely a risk of someone burning themselves, but hey, that sounds like a nice way of keeping people away from my cookware :shifty: :devil:

Top Bottom