What's new

Pre-soaking Badgers

I have just recently purchased a few badgers and used each one once. I am new to badger brushes. What's the proper/acceptable method of soaking (if any)? I know Boar is approximately 5 minutes prior and synthetic is 1-2 seconds. Am I correct in soaking for 1-2 minutes prior to use? I.E., half the time of a boar?

Thanks Gentlemen!

Peace!

It won't matter how long you soak the brush (badger hair won't absorb water they way in which boar hair does), but allowing the water to enter the knot is the point of soaking the brush. It may take you a few tries to work out how much water to shake out of the brush before you start lathering, but it is easy enough to add a few more drops if your brush is too dry...

Just be careful that the water is not hot and don't soak the whole knot and handle as well.

It won't matter how long you soak the brush (badger hair won't absorb water they way in which boar hair does), but allowing the water to enter the knot is the point of soaking the brush. It may take you a few tries to work out how much water to shake out of the brush before you start lathering, but it is easy enough to add a few more drops if your brush is too dry...

Just be careful that the water is not hot and don't soak the whole knot and handle as well.

So basically, you are saying I can treat it the same as a synthetic: 1-2 seconds in warm water, shake it a bit and start whipping up product. I am very careful with the water level and saturating the knot/glue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have just recently purchased a few badgers and used each one once. I am new to badger brushes. What's the proper/acceptable method of soaking (if any)? I know Boar is approximately 5 minutes prior and synthetic is 1-2 seconds. Am I correct in soaking for 1-2 minutes prior to use? I.E., half the time of a boar?

Thanks Gentlemen!

Peace!

30-45 seconds under hot water, shake, and go

I soak my boar brush while showering.
But my badger gets just a quick dip under some running water.
One of my sons complained about his badger brush being too floppy.
Once he stopped soaking it he was much happier with it's performance.
I know some badger brushes are floppy no matter what.
But a long soak will make all badger brushes under perform.

Ouch - I'm getting a variety of answers here! Is there a conspiracy here? Was it something I said?

Practically any product you ask about on here will generate conflicting responses. I always soak my boars ands horsehairs, but never my badgers or synthetics. In my experience that's what works best for me. If I were you, and especially since you're getting both yes and no replies, is to try your badgers both ways to see how they perform with all the other variables (soaps/creams, hard/soft water, water temperature, face/bowl lathering etc.) Good Luck.

I soak my boar brush while showering.
But my badger gets just a quick dip under some running water.
One of my sons complained about his badger brush being too floppy.
Once he stopped soaking it he was much happier with it's performance.
I know some badger brushes are floppy no matter what.
But a long soak will make all badger brushes under perform.
Hmmmm...I'm not sure about that...

I soak mine (5 minutes or so) just because it's part of my routine.

Recently, pressed for time, I did a very quick shave and just wet the brush (no soaking, just under the faucet), shook most of the water out of it (as usual) and...not much difference. But I do believe my lather was not up to par...maybe I was in a hurry, but I'm thinking that maybe there wasn't enough water in the brush.

I will continue the 5-minute soak. It can't hurt (warm water, up to the knot).

Don't get confused. You only need to run brush under warm water..not hot. Give a little shake or squeeze and load brush...simple as.

Hmmmm...I'm not sure about that...

I soak mine (5 minutes or so) just because it's part of my routine.

Recently, pressed for time, I did a very quick shave and just wet the brush (no soaking, just under the faucet), shook most of the water out of it (as usual) and...not much difference. But I do believe my lather was not up to par...maybe I was in a hurry, but I'm thinking that maybe there wasn't enough water in the brush.

I will continue the 5-minute soak. It can't hurt (warm water, up to the knot).

If that is what works for you, that is great.
The right way to do things is always what works for you.
My sons and I all have a different way of doing things.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No need to soak and using super hot water will possibly damage the glue.

I wet the brush, either a dip or a few seconds under running water, then shake. This will result in the same water retention as soaking the brush for any amount of time. If your routine involves soaking the brush for several minutes, just avoid submerging the base of the knot in water. I'd say that most any opinion on the soaking of a badger is correct, as long as it includes not submerging the knot glue.

I soak my boars for one to two minutes at most. I still have my first boar brush my dad gave me 25 or so years ago. It's tired, and I don't use it anymore, but it could get back on the job if needed.

I soak any natural hair for at least 2-3 minutes (badger, boar, horse, does not matter).

I will soak in cold or warm water NEVER anything warmer than is comfortable to put your hands in.

I use a mug of water so that the hair is wet but the handle stays dry

An under-soaked natural hair brush can get brittle and the hears break off at the knot if they are not fully hydrated.

This is no big deal for a $25 +/- brush but when you get into brushes in the 3 figures you will want them to last as long as possible so soak them well before using them to avoid brittle hears breaking off and causing issues. Also rinse them well before putting them away to thoroughly dry before using them again.

proxy.php

Ouch - I'm getting a variety of answers here! Is there a conspiracy here? Was it something I said?
You do not need to soak a badger brush. At all. You asked for the preferred method, which generated answers based on other preferences, which can lead to confusion. But you do not need to soak badger hair brushes. Wet them and go.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I use a glass container for brush soaking with cold water; When I put a badger brush in it I see small bubbles on the knot. By the time I finish washing and rinsing my face the bubbles are gone. My conclusion? A brief soak is a good idea.

I'm glad I read this thread. I have been soaking my SOC 2-band badger while in the shower or at least for 5 minutes as I do with my Omega boars. Today I just dipped it in some warm water, squeezed a bit, and loaded with Cella. I got a very nice face lather and great shave. If anything, it seemed that the badger gave up the lather more easily to my face. It might have been the Cella and not the non-soaking technique, but that was my impression. I'll try again with a different soap next time.

Top Bottom