What's new

Merkur Vision 2000

Hello All,

I have a Merkur Vision 2000 that I put away in favor of my Merkur Progress and Muhle R89. I put it away simply because I was afraid it would break due to the reviews and because of it's size. I have been using the Progress as my daily razor and the Muhle for traveling. I had grown partial to the short handle and left it at that as they are both fine razors, though I am partial to the Progress. While browsing the B&B I came across a posting by another member regarding the Vision. He had a large stable of razors but for some reason he keeps going back to the Vision. He described me to a T when stating that , since I was fairly new to D/E shaving at the time the Vision may have been too much. I bought the Vision at a VERY good price when I first began and since I didn't have a good shaving style at the beginning the results were less than satisfactory, I have a few scars to prove it. Back in it's tin can it went, but for some reason I kept it. As I became more experienced with the Progress and Muhle and BBS became a reality I went back to that article and decided to give the Vision another last try. I am glad I kept it as, to me at least, it provides the best shave I ever had. I keep the dial in the middle and have it paired with a feather blade and I have not looked back. The maintenance is a pain I will admit but now I view it as a regular maintenance item so it is just something that is part of the plan now. It does hold much junk inside of it as all the dried soap comes out like salt from a shaker when opened. A good flush and the occasional vinegar bath keeps everything clean. A touch of WD40 on the adjustment knob keeps it smooth operating and doesn't damage the finish. Even though it is big, bulky and long it just glides and cuts cleanly and is surprisingly maneuverable. Practice does make perfect and I hope the Vision stands the test of time. Just giving my opinion on a maligned product that for me, works. Thanks for listening.

If you've ever wondered what goes on inside the Vision 2K, the TV Series "How It's Made" did a feature at the Merkur factory.

I've never had a Vision 2K. Don't want one, either. I found the Futur to be far too big and heavy for my liking. I'm not a big fan of Adjustable razors in general, and I don't care for TTOs.

On those rare occasions when I feel in the mood to shave with an Adjustable, the Progress (with IKon upgrade knob) is the only one I will use, despite having several Gillette Slims, a Futur, a Russian Ideal, and a PAL Adjustable SE to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey it's all preference. I had a Futur and to be honest I didn't like it at all. For me it was extremely difficult to hold and maneuver and I really didn't care for the pop top. I also didn't care for the length of the Futur, which is strange since the Vision is longer but the handle shape makes it easier to hold and maneuver. I find my self distancing myself from the Muhle R89 since it just doesn't give me as close a shave as the Merkurs. I wish the finish was as good on the Merkurs but time will tell. Thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.

You were probably listening to me espouse my enjoyment of the Vision.

It does not collect any more gunk than a normal TTO adjustable will.

I find that if I use a filled sink and slosh the razor head in the sink between passes that little to no build up occurs inside the razor mech itself.

If you seem to get soap down inside I suppose the only really good way to clean it thoroughly would be via an ultrasonic bath like used on jewelry. I've never found this necessary but it would be nice to have one anyway for razors and other small items.

Oh goodie goodie, more junk to buy :nono:

Great idea regarding sloshing it around, I will do that. I do hang it on my stand upside down so that any residual junk drips down and out of the head. I just keep the doors open a bit so it doesn't settle on the doors.

I shave with a full sink of water surrounded by towels.

proxy.php

I was able to test drive a Futur and I found it to be too cumbersome and aggressive for my tastes and I had it set on 1. However, I did like the way it looked. It was definitely a substantial razor in the weight department. After using it one time, I knew that it wasn't a razor I would like to use on a daily basis. I'll stick with my vintage Gillettes.

I've got both the Vision and the Futur. The Futur is a good but somehow clumsy razor. The Vision looks clumsy but isn't. To compare the Futur with the Vision is IMHO very much like comparing a Ford with a BMW. Actually I say that after Mühle R41 2013 and 2011 I can think of no razor that shaves better than the Vision. The downside is the looks and the over engineered fragile construction. I've got two Vision, one extra for the day one the first one breaks.

Hey guys, does the Vision have as mild of a setting as the Progress does?
Not quite, but the total range is wider meaning that Vision is more aggressive at maximum setting, about as aggressive (perhaps more aggressive) as Fatip but much smoother. If I weigh in price and reliability I must admit that the Progress is a much better buy. If I only consider the shaving performance, well you can read my post above.

I do consider all three Merkur adjustables to be top of the line razors, but there are large differences among them. Actually the differences are so great that it's difficult to clump them together.

Last edited:
I'd like to own one only because my first razor was a TTO. Even thought it probably shaves like crap in comparison to my SS it's still uber cool looking and really brings the double edge blade into the 21st century.

I'd like to own one only because my first razor was a TTO. Even thought it probably shaves like crap in comparison to my SS it's still uber cool looking and really brings the double edge blade into the 21st century.
Why do you assume that the Vision shaves like crap? Personally I'd say that my two Super Speeds (British Red Tip and British Rocket) are outstanding smooth non aggressive razors and that the shaves they give me very much resembles the shaves by a Vision on a low setting. Hmm it's too long since I used a SS.

As Polarbeard has been saying,once used to it,and with a good bit of all round DE experience, a Vision 2000 will give a superb shave.I too got one fairly cheaply soon after starting DE shaving,my only experience was with a 34HD and an aluminium Tech,I struggled to get a decent nick/irritation free shave with it so put it back in the tin too!.Roll on 3 years and 16 more DE's later (mainly vintage Gillette's),I got the Vision out for one last go before I sold it to fund an ATT Kronos + H2...Well to say I was shocked was an understatement!,not only did it deliver an all over BBS,but it delivered it irritation free!,now the only other DE in my arsenal to do that it a 2013 R41 (like many,I have a problem area next to my adam's apple).I still ended up getting an ATT Kronos,but with the M+R2 plates,and although I can get a BBS,the neck irritation is there.

Just to bring this thread back, I shaved with my Vision 2000 Set wide open N+ this morning.
proxy.php

It's part of an experiment I'm doing comparing the 2011 R41 to other configurations, and it reminded me that the Vision 2000 is a truly amazing razor and surely one of the greatest DEs ever made.

Set like this of course there's a bit of blade chatter and bitiness.
It surely gave the 2011 R41 a run for its money though, producing a completely irritation free and supremely comfortable waxy BBS.

Stepped down slightly to reduce the blade chatter this could be the perfect shave!
proxy.php

A couple of questions:

Do you guys dissemble the V2k to clean it as the Merkur instructions recommend?

And what's the Vision 2000 actually made of?

It's made of Zamak. A cheaper steel alloy mix. Every 2-3 shaves will work on the maintenance thing. A good drying and a drop or two of mineral oil on the internals and call it a day.... BTW, it's the greatest TTO DE ever made. But that's just my opinion. :thumbup1:

Regards, Gus

It's made of Zamak. A cheaper steel alloy mix. Every 2-3 shaves will work on the maintenance thing. A good drying and a drop or two of mineral oil on the internals and call it a day.... BTW, it's the greatest TTO DE ever made. But that's just my opinion. :thumbup1:

Regards, Gus

Thanks! That's useful information.
Is the zamak coated with anything?
It feels like a polymer...

Thanks! That's useful information.
Is the zamak coated with anything?
It feels like a polymer...
That I can't answer intelligently to be honest. Merkur was very vague in how the Vision 2000 was produced. I would think casting/mold was the method they used. Perhaps an additive was added to the process, but not sure.

That I can't answer intelligently to be honest. Merkur was very vague in how the Vision 2000 was produced. I would think casting/mold was the method they used. Perhaps an additive was added to the process, but not sure.

Ok - Amazon UK bill it as "brushed steel" so I guess that's an error.

And I agree, this has to be one of the greatest DE razors ever made!

Indeed. I'll put it this way to you. The only other razor in my arsenal that beats the Vision, is my 13/16 Wade&Butcher Wedge straight. Now, I can't shave with my straight everyday, it's not practical. That's where my Vision comes in. It's as close a shave to a straight that I can get. And I have a Progress, Futur, Parker Variant and a Gillette Slim. Just acquired a Rockwell 6s, but no shaves on it yet. The Variant and Futur are very good, giving the edge to the Variant because it feels smoother. The Vision is my choice. Just like my girlfriend, maintain properly and show it some love, purrs like a kitten.....

Top Bottom