What's new

Drank a nice bottle of wine lately?

Recently, I had a great luck trying some fine Burgundies. Really like the '86 Lynch-Bages.How about you? Left or right bank?

$2015-02-25 19.05.28.jpg

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I was invited to a friend's house for New Year's Day and felt like I had to bring something. I've been hanging on to this for almost 3 years. I bought it for a house-warming party in 2012, invited everyone I knew, but nobody showed up. So it sat in my refrigerator until last month.

The bottle fought us like crazy to get it open. Eventually we had to drill out the cork with a power drill and sift the wine through a strainer. But the fight was worth it. This stuff was good. Very sweet, very smooth, and with just the right amount of kick to it. We sipped on this all afternoon and finished off the bottle after a bean soup dinner.

I also have a bottle of Jersey Devil Red and a Sangria from this same winery. It is grown and bottled about 4 miles from home. This brand is very popular in South Jersey, but rather hard to get your hands on a bottle since they produce limited quantities. And it is not sold anywhere outside of the state. http://www.valenzanowine.com

proxy.php

JERSEY DEVIL HONEY WINE
Sweet but sinister, our Jersey Devil Honey Wine is crafted with local honey. This delicious monster is sure to entice you with strong floral notes and aromas and flavors of apples, oak, vanilla, and a touch of spice.

$12 per 750ml bottle

Recently, I had a great luck trying some fine Burgundies. Really like the '86 Lynch-Bages.How about you? Left or right bank?

View attachment 553401

Actually the Lynch-Bages is a Bordeaux, and a very fine one at that. My last opportunity to enjoy this wine was last year with a bottle of the 2000 vintage, a great wine and wonderful experience.

I don't get the opportunity for high brow wine, unless someone else is buying.

I did discover a little gem at the store last week though. La Vieille Ferme. I picked up a bottle of the white, which was on sale for about $6. I was impressed with it at that price point. I picked up a bottle of the red to see if it's any good as well. If so this will be my go to table wine.

A very nice Napa Cabernet Sauvignon is 2011 Black Stallion. Sells for $20-25 and drinks better than wines more than twice the price.
I recently purchased 6 bottles (all I could find) of the 2011 and because I am so impressed I bought a case of the 2012.

proxy.php

2008 Penner-Ash - Pas de Nom Pinot Noir

A 95 point bottle of silky heaven. I have 5 bottles of the 2012 vintage sitting in the basement. They're just waiting for the right moment to see the light.

Penner Ash has been putting out some rockstar wines over the last few years. The Shea, Palmer Creek and Zena Crown vineyards this year have been some of the best I have had.

http://www.pennerash.com/news_events/reviews

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I was invited to a friend's house for New Year's Day and felt like I had to bring something. I've been hanging on to this for almost 3 years. I bought it for a house-warming party in 2012, invited everyone I knew, but nobody showed up.

Ouch.

I visited Sonoma Valley last fall and tasted at five different wineries. My girlfriend and I both found a place where we really enjoyed the wines, so she joined a club. The winery is called Sunce. Some of the wines we've received are still in bottle shock, but most of them have been great. I especially liked the Chardonnay and Port. This slightly higher priced wine is much better than the $10-$15 wines I'd disliked prior to my trip.

Top Bottom