What's new

I need advice on how to catalog my growing collection

I have RAD bad. I bought my first vintage razor on 2/12/15 and I am up to around 17 razors today. I guess it's time to keep track of these beauties. I would like to be able to keep records of things like maker, model, date of purchase, cost, etc. It would be nice to be able to keep a picture with the record. What would be really cool is if I could do it on an iPhone and back it up to the computer. While I realize I can keep an Excel spread sheet, I am looking for more of a database app. Any other sufferers of RAD out there, with OCD, that have a solution for me?

Have your wife catalog them for you, along with what the cost of each, with shipping was. That should cure your RAD pretty fast. :lol:

I use an Excel spreadsheet. Create as many columns for information and keep each razor on a separate line.

Aren't you able to just do it here on this site? I can't find it now, but I do know that members have galleries and inventories posted here.

Have your wife catalog them for you, along with what the cost of each, with shipping was. That should cure your RAD pretty fast. :lol:
One of the first pieces of advice I got on this forum, was to never let SWMBO find out what you spend on shaving gear :thumbup1:

There is an Android app called Shave Buddy that allows you to inventory - Razors- Blades- Brushes- Soaps & Creams- Aftershaves- Additional care products. The free version allows 5 in each category and the premium is unlimited.

If you want more than a spread sheet go with a database.

That way you can sort and organize if you create enough fields and proper fields for your sort process.

Most popular is MySQL but you can get MS SQL Server express. If you have used MS Access in the past you should fall right into SQL Server express easily.

One of the first pieces of advice I got on this forum, was to never let SWMBO find out what you spend on shaving gear :thumbup1:

I received a Star Kampfe lather catcher, an unused Segal Unitary Razor, and a Wilkinson Sword Empire Razor, in the mail, yesterday. All she said was, oh, more shaving stuff? I then opened the boxes up, and she said ooooo, I like that one. The Star Kampfe. After I cleaned them up, a few hours of soaking for the Wilkinson, and some silver polishing, she was saying how beautiful the Star Kampfe was. It looked almost new, no plating loss, no scratches, and very shiny. She then wanted me to show her how it worked, and she played with it a few minutes. She likes the lather catchers and Wilkinson Sword Empire Razors.
But, I know better than to lay the entire collection out. I would be getting the "stink eye", for the rest of the day.

I have RAD bad. I bought my first vintage razor on 2/12/15 and I am up to around 17 razors today.
I guess it's time to keep track of these beauties. I would like to be able to keep records of things like maker, model, date of purchase, cost, etc. It would be nice to be able to keep a picture with the record.
What would be really cool is if I could do it on an iPhone and back it up to the computer.
While I realize I can keep an Excel spread sheet, I am looking for more of a database app.
Any other sufferers of RAD out there, with OCD, that have a solution for me?

My first purchase was also in February. I'm now up to 42 razors and 10 brushes.
I also wanted to keep track of the growing collection.
I use Windows and Android (not much of a Apple fan, I'm afraid)
I also wanted a database type program. I would have preferred it if I could have found a MS Access template, but I was unsuccessful. I ended up with a shareware "Collectors Database" called "MessLess Collector Classic 10"
http://www.messless.com/mlc/. The author charges US$49.95 to register. The help says "Works 30 days without activation.", so I assume it will stop working without payment.

If you have access to a Windows 7 or 8 computer and you'd like to try it, PM me and I can zip up the database I put together and you can download the actual program from the link above. If you make improvements, I'd appreciate seeing them -- share and share alike, right?

In the meantime, if another member can do a better job using Access (I have 2010), it would be appreciated.

Evernote / Apple Notes / Google Keep. All free, great with pictures, text and tags, all except the Apple one are cloud based and work on any platform.

I belong to the "keep it simple" club.

I write up a paragraph on each razor I own, giving the details of the manufacture, the purchase, and how it shaves. I list the razors in alphabetical order and by chronological order. I keep the pages secured in a folder for future reference. I have the names of my "best of the best" razors in bold.

I belong to the "keep it simple" club.

I write up a paragraph on each razor I own, giving the details of the manufacture, the purchase, and how it shaves. I list the razors in alphabetical order and by chronological order. I keep the pages secured in a folder for future reference. I have the names of my "best of the best" razors in bold.

A folder where? That's basically the question the OP was asking....

Let me plug Shave Buddy too. I paid for the full versipn and have been using it pretty much daily for over a year. I find it especially useful for keeping track of number of shaves on a blade.

Top Bottom