What's new

Gillette Tech Value

We don't do appraisals here. I suggest consulting sold listings on eBay, and decide how much you're willing to pay for one. That's what it's worth.

TOU said:
7. B&B is not an appraisal site. As such, asking values here isn't acceptable behavior. All B&B members, asking and answering, new or old, should be aware that B&B is a community of users, and not an appraisal or identification service.

Worth is very subjective. I paid $4 for my first one 5-6 years ago. I paid $15 a few years back for one I bought for one of my sons. I find the pre-war Techs to be one of the best razors I've ever used, outperforming every other vintage razor I've tried. I paid $30 for a Parker, and I find the Tech to be easily worth more than it.

In the end, I would love to pay $4 for a Tech if I could find it at that price. If I didn't have several already, I would pay more than $30 if I was unable to find it selling for less. It would be worth it.

Last edited:
I have bought about 10 I believe and don't think I have paid more than 15 for any. Last few fat handle pre wars were in the 10-15 range in better than average shape. Look for the triangle slotted base plate. They r wonderful shavers!

I was thinking about either a 40s fat handle or a 50's ball end handle. Is there a different in the way they shave?

Prices are all over the map and what ends up being the selling price on Ebay has much to do with condition (mint or very clean samples are easier to sell), relative rarity and personal reasons that only the bidders themselves seem to know.

I've been watching a lot of razors on Ebay recently and Tech's are commonly some of the more reasonably priced as compared to Gillette's adjustable models.

As suggested above, go to advanced search, select "sold" listings and you can get a very rough idea of what they are selling for. I also see many sellers overprice their razors relative to what people are willing to pay with a "buy it now" option and they end up not selling.

I have one mint in the box, and it has 49 cents printed on the box.

Then you have to factor in inflation, strength of american dollar, price of oil, solar winds, and the consumer confidence factor.

Then you have to factor in inflation, strength of american dollar, price of oil, solar winds, and the consumer confidence factor.

proxy.php

Well considering I just bought one on e-bay for 25 cnd + shipping, box said made in Canada. I don't know. I'll post some pictures once I get it, which should be this week, so you can judge what a Mint should sell.

The seller was not really quick to ship it out or give me a quote for the shipping. Invoice took 2 days (ended up a Friday evening) and he only shipped it out on the following Monday afternoon. Not exactly thrilled with that process. :mad3: Also did not provide me a tracking code. Considering it is traveling from Quebec to Ontario, it should not take over 1 week to get your product...

I will probably not provide any feedback since anything less than 5 stars gets you the same. Also bought a $10 razor from the same person which is an open comb from Austria. I will post pictures on another thread to see if anyone can identify it.

Then you have to factor in inflation, strength of american dollar, price of oil, solar winds, and the consumer confidence factor.[/QUO

Good one. Thanks for the laugh.

Well considering I just bought one on e-bay for 25 cnd + shipping, box said made in Canada. I don't know. I'll post some pictures once I get it, which should be this week, so you can judge what a Mint should sell.

The seller was not really quick to ship it out or give me a quote for the shipping. Invoice took 2 days (ended up a Friday evening) and he only shipped it out on the following Monday afternoon. Not exactly thrilled with that process. :mad3: Also did not provide me a tracking code. Considering it is traveling from Quebec to Ontario, it should not take over 1 week to get your product...

I will probably not provide any feedback since anything less than 5 stars gets you the same. Also bought a $10 razor from the same person which is an open comb from Austria. I will post pictures on another thread to see if anyone can identify it.

I would like to see the pics. I've been watching them for a week or so and the prices are all over the place, so it's hard to judge and with some of the pics it's hard to tell how nice they are.

Worth is very subjective. I paid $4 for my first one 5-6 years ago. I paid $15 a few years back for one I bought for one of my sons. I find the pre-war Techs to be one of the best razors I've ever used, outperforming every other vintage razor I've tried. I paid $30 for a Parker, and I find the Tech to be easily worth more than it.

In the end, I would love to pay $4 for a Tech if I could find it at that price. If I didn't have several already, I would pay more than $30 if I was unable to find it selling for less. It would be worth it.

Somewhat subjective. ..I paid $55 for Toggle 5 years ago. ..now I need a 2nd mortgage for one.

Well what I received is a Canadian 1932 Gillette Tech (oops, now I have 2):
$GCan 1932 2 a.JPG$Gcan 1932 2 b.JPG$Gcan 1932 2 c.JPG$Gcan 1932 2 d.JPG$Gcan 1932 2 e.JPG

The box of blades is open, 1 package not touch, but 2 free blades of which one is rusty....
Came with the box, not in great shape but ok. The razor has a few trouble spots, mostly in the base plate but it is usable and in great shape compared to it's age.

Anyone know why I have a 2 after the 1932? The other one I have has the Gillette gone on the top, but does not have the 2 after 1932. The base plates are also different, weird.

So I paid 25 + delivery for each. Second one had a metal box is bad shape but still working.

Anyone know why I have a 2 after the 1932? The other one I have has the Gillette gone on the top, but does not have the 2 after 1932. The base plates are also different, weird.

1932 is not a production date, Techs didn't exist in 1932. It's probably the filing date of the patent application, I read somewhere what it means exactly but I forgot, Techs are not my cup of tea anyway. But I think that's what it means.

That ''2'' you see is the quarter of the year, and the Z on the left tells you it was made in 1954. The other with a different baseplate is a pre war Tech, with the triangle slots. Those don't have date codes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom