What's new

People do find our hobby a bit strange.

Traditional Barbers in Australia offering wet shaving to their customers cannot use a straight razor due to health regulations. However they can use a shavette which has the blade changed after each person. For a hobbyist shaver who looks after his own razor not a problem because I'm certainly not sharing it with anyone else!

That's nonsense. Straight razor blades are no more "dirty" than a cartridge razor after one use -- if anything less so, since the blade is completely clean after use, allowed to air-dry for 24 hours (germs can't live in a dry environment for that long) then stropped 80 times before re-use. Your friend's razor is full of clogged hair and dead skin when he re-uses it.

Oh, really?
Endospores can germinate many years after formation, even millions of years later.
I doubt that such hardy microbes ever find their way into our bathrooms, I just wanted to geek out for a minute. :biggrin:

Lets see a picture of this tattoo! Sounds like new friends would be a good change. B&B members should have a small identifier on them at all times so that you are more or less guaranteed to have one ally in the vicinity should you find yourself surrounded by these 'normal' people that just don't get it.

I get that sometimes from people at work. It's disgusting to use some one's old razor, but there's nothing wrong with cleaning a classroom, going to the bathroom, sipping from a very well used fountain then stroking you're hand through you're beard!? I find it fun though to pick on them some times though, and the people who like to lecture me on the harms of smoking whilst their wiping the big mac sauce from their face!

This. :thumbup1: Do you insist on a brand new fork in a restaurant? Do you touch public door handles? Use a shopping cart? Geez, like my friend the plumber says, "Three things to remember in this job: **** flows downhill, payday is on Friday, and don't chew your fingernails." Amazing how some people assume that other people have zero common sense.

Thank goodness She Who Must Be Perfectly Obeyed In All Circumstances recognizes the value in anything that is made to last instead of being tossed after a couple of uses - and she can clean and sanitize anything. She gets great deals on linen that's stained, for example, and can get the stain out every time. When I started DE shaving, She helped me decide to get a good Super Speed instead of a new razor, using exactly this logic.

In the recent MRSA epidemic among college football players the disease was found to have been passed on by players sharing razors (cartridge razors, obvs) to shave their body hair.

I have yet to hear of someone contracting the disease from a razor he never shared with anyone, though. They call them "transmissible diseases" because they are transmitted from one party to another. They don't just magically materialize out of nowhere.

Maybe I am an old fart, but I really don't get this body sculpting/shaving thing. What a waste of time IMHO.

If paranoia gets the best of you, after your soap scrubbing, and hot water soaks, you can go one step further. A lot of times, I will do a good soaking in alcohol. This should kill everything, the other cleaning steps didn't.

I have given the few used razors that I've acquired an alcohol bath after a good soak and scrub. I also dip the head in a small jar of alcohol after each use. Not so much to sterilize, just getting the water out. It is on the counter anyway because I use carbon steel blades in the SE's and it should help prolong the blade life.

Whenever I tell people that I collect razors, soaps/creams, brushes, aftershaves and colognes, they usually respond by saying "Oh? That's interesting," but inside they're probably thinking "He collects Whaaaat?" OMG, he looks so normal ... well, I guess you can't judge a book by its cover."

So after I tell them about my strange obsession, I always add "Yeah, I know. Its a weird hobby. I'm probably the only person you'll ever meet in your lifetime that does this. But believe me, there are thousands of people around the world that are into it even more hardcore than I am. Dedicated websites, Facebook groups, collector's conventions, yeah ... Wet-shaving really is a thing now. And its a lot of fun."

If they really were that interested, they would respond with "Oh? Tell me more about razors and shaving soaps. I've been thinking about getting some myself, but don't know where to start."

Last edited:
You need new friends , While I am would not personally get inked , If I meet your wife and I was told about it, I would be fine and if in a modest place request to see it so I could compliment the Artist work. A quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol kills 99% of everything.

I am at the point in my life where I do not suffer or tolerate fools. I no longer tolerate one-way relationships, or those who think they are the smartest one on the room all the time. By no means am I claiming the title of smartest guy in the room, I am too humble and realistic for that, but I wouldn't put up with the "holier than thou" lecturing on anything.

I recently had a real life friend I worked with for 20 years un-friend me on Facebook because I had the audacity and unmitigated gall to actually make challenging responses to only two of the dozens politically motivated posts he makes every day. Yes, this guy makes at least twenty political postings a day, but if you dare to have a different opinion, I guess you do not have the right to post it. IMHO, you don't treat friends that way. That's the kind of one-way, smartest guy in the room, I will lecture you but don't you dare refute me, attitude I am talking about.

+1 on finding new friends.

I am at the point in my life where I do not suffer or tolerate fools. I no longer tolerate one-way relationships, or those who think they are the smartest one on the room all the time. By no means am I claiming the title of smartest guy in the room, I am too humble and realistic for that, but I wouldn't put up with the "holier than thou" lecturing on anything.

I recently had a real life friend I worked with for 20 years un-friend me on Facebook because I had the audacity and unmitigated gall to actually make challenging responses to only two of the dozens politically motivated posts he makes every day. Yes, this guy makes at least twenty political postings a day, but if you dare to have a different opinion, I guess you do not have the right to post it. IMHO, you don't treat friends that way. That's the kind of one-way, smartest guy in the room, I will lecture you but don't you dare refute me, attitude I am talking about.

So there is more! I too have one of these over political friends, and he posts and texts non stop to every possible thing you could imagine! And to go along with what you said, I see no point in talking usually to the 'I'm always right' crowd. What I want in a conversation is a debate tone where I can potentially be proven wrong about something, that's how you learn.

Whenever I tell people that I collect razors, soaps/creams, brushes, aftershaves and colognes, they usually respond by saying "Oh? That's interesting," but inside they're probably thinking "He collects Whaaaat?" OMG, he looks so normal ... well, I guess you can't judge a book by its cover."

So after I tell them about my strange obsession, I always add "Yeah, I know. Its a weird hobby. I'm probably the only person you'll ever meet in your lifetime that does this. But believe me, there are thousands of people around the world that are into it even more hardcore than I am. Dedicated websites, Facebook groups, collector's conventions, yeah ... Wet-shaving really is a thing now. And its a lot of fun."

If they really were that interested, they would respond with "Oh? Tell me more about razors and shaving soaps. I've been thinking about getting some myself, but don't know where to start."

They probably don't think it's weird, but just think it's an uninteresting subject that they know nothing about and never want to know about. Talking about shaving is like talking about brushing your teeth to most people. The reaction is mainly indifference.

Regardless whether someone criticizes you or not, I still find many think I must've become bored in order to turn shaving into a hobby. I know what it's like to get an amazing shave so i don't sweat it. I have many hobbies and this is rapidly becoming my favorite

Just let them think whatever they want. They don't know the joy of traditional shaving! At the end you ARE the winner and they're the losers who get bad shaves and spend a lot of cash on carts.

You know I have been trying to convert a lot of people in the past and they always looked at me like I was some crazy lunatic. Now I really don't care about them. I get great shaves, full BBS with no negative effects and they don't.

Just enjoy your hobby thats priceless and thats something they'll never understand.

You lost nothing of value. These are the types that believe themselves to be intelligent but are just parroting some misconstrued argument they heard earlier in the day without even bothering to verify the facts because it "sounds right". Of course when you pop their argument like it was an over inflated balloon, the immediately resort to taking their ball home because they are "above defending the obvious".

I.E. - Just politely nod and say "you don't say?!" when friends begin talking about politics.

Just let them think whatever they want. They don't know the joy of traditional shaving! At the end you ARE the winner and they're the losers who get bad shaves and spend a lot of cash on carts.

You know I have been trying to convert a lot of people in the past and they always looked at me like I was some crazy lunatic. Now I really don't care about them. I get great shaves, full BBS with no negative effects and they don't.

Just enjoy your hobby thats priceless and thats something they'll never understand.

This. I recall when I first started DE shaving, I tried to tell a few co-workers about it. The same co-workers who complained with me when talking about cartridge shaves being poor and expensive. But when told about a better method, their response is along the lines of "ok". I guess they expect Gillette to finally make that magical cartridge that will solve all their problems :lol:.

My wife and I were out with some friends. My wife was showing off her new tattoo (Her first). Our friends reaction to it was not the greatest.

So to deflect attention from her, my wife decided to announce that I buy and use, used straight razors. Her tattoo was immediately forgotten as I got a lecture from the germ-a-phobe of the group. And I learned of all the things spread from a dirty blade (despite my insistence that I sterilize the blades.)

Oh well at least my wife felt better.:lol:

My wife will mitigate just the same by bringing out my "weird shaving hobby" too. Lol. I throw it back and say shaving isn't weird. Plenty of men shave every day. What is weird is paying ridiculous amounts of money for throwaway cartridges.

Top Bottom