What's new

People do find our hobby a bit strange.

My wife and I were out with some friends. My wife was showing off her new tattoo (Her first). Our friends reaction to it was not the greatest.

So to deflect attention from her, my wife decided to announce that I buy and use, used straight razors. Her tattoo was immediately forgotten as I got a lecture from the germ-a-phobe of the group. And I learned of all the things spread from a dirty blade (despite my insistence that I sterilize the blades.)

Oh well at least my wife felt better.:lol:

That's nonsense. Straight razor blades are no more "dirty" than a cartridge razor after one use -- if anything less so, since the blade is completely clean after use, allowed to air-dry for 24 hours (germs can't live in a dry environment for that long) then stropped 80 times before re-use. Your friend's razor is full of clogged hair and dead skin when he re-uses it.

Last edited:
There's always a certain class of people that feel the need to "educate" everyone, as if without them you would fall off the end of the planet one day for want of knowledge to the contrary. When I encounter them in social situations I just nod politely, throw in the occasional perfunctory agreement then find the first convenient excuse to permanently disappear.

My wife and I were out with some friends. My wife was showing off her new tattoo (Her first). Our friends reaction to it was not the greatest.

So to deflect attention from her, my wife decided to announce that I buy and use, used straight razors. Her tattoo was immediately forgotten as I got a lecture from the germ-a-phobe of the group. And I learned of all the things spread from a dirty blade (despite my insistence that I sterilize the blades.)

Oh well at least my wife felt better.:lol:

This would have been my reaction to that.

proxy.php

Get better friends. If they think its their right to criticize and judge you, imagine what they are saying behind your back?
It really speaks to their own insecurities.

She owes you one for running interference for her.

Back where I come from that means you can pick anything from column A :yesnod:

If she does not agree, tell her next times you will throw her to the wolves instead. :scared:

Seems like most of the people I know are like that. It's pretty condescending, them not giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're capable of researching and making your own decisions. A friend of mine recently expressed surprise that I thought to buy a spare battery for my camera "without [him] telling me to." As far as I can tell, I haven't given him any indication that I'm helpless and clueless, so I don't know...

There's always a certain class of people that feel the need to "educate" everyone, as if without them you would fall off the end of the planet one day for want of knowledge to the contrary. When I encounter them in social situations I just nod politely, throw in the occasional perfunctory agreement then find the first convenient excuse to permanently disappear.
So true...+1

So to deflect attention from her, my wife decided to announce that I buy and use, used straight razors.

When I mention that to others you can almost see them emotionally take a step backwards, not sure if you are quite sane. Or maybe, just maybe you have it in your back pocket and may WHIP it out.:biggrin1:

I get that sometimes from people at work. It's disgusting to use some one's old razor, but there's nothing wrong with cleaning a classroom, going to the bathroom, sipping from a very well used fountain then stroking you're hand through you're beard!? I find it fun though to pick on them some times though, and the people who like to lecture me on the harms of smoking whilst their wiping the big mac sauce from their face!

That's usually when I tell people that germs are your friend, they help you build up immunity and ward off knowitallitis.

I still am finding this "hobby" a bit strange. I got a coworker started in DE shaving last week. Sold him a razor and showed him to Maggards for samples. We both were smelling the samples we got and I must admit, the other guys on our crew where kind of baffled by the excitement about how things smell. :001_huh:

That's why I just keep the love of my wet shaving hobby to myself ( and wife ) ... Too many dumb people in the world that like to try and bring other people down by being inconsiderate know it alls. She probably has 10x more germs under her fingernails than anyone of your straight razors ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one buddy that I converted who's totally into it. And another convert who won't even take the time to find out that he's actually a minimalist. Between those two, I have enough "live" shaving conversations. Everyone else, I don't even bother to try talking about it anymore.

Top Bottom