What's new

Bought some leather - made a strop

Horsehide - about 18" of clear surface, maybe 14-15" when holding the end.
It's breaking in slowly - it's a thick hide.
proxy.php

Nicely done! Where did you get the hardware?
Ty - I have a bunch of swivel snap hooks that I use for the fire hose strops, same for the Chicago screw rivets.
The bolster or whatever the leather piece that holds the swivel snap on is called was cut from some scrap leather from the hide.

Hey, 3-in-1 oil in the corner! Nice piece.

Ty - I had a bug in my ear after the chatter in that other thread so I went searching for that specific can.

Very nice! Well done Keith, I look forward to hearing how it performs for you. Frank
Works very well actually - it's a good hide, not perfect but still very good. It's very thick so the break in will take time.

Do you mind if I ask? Where did you source the leather? I have made a few paddle strops , but would like to try a hanger.

Someone on fleabay was auctioning some hides, that was in late November - early December. USPS lost the box, and then marked it delivered to a front porch that doesn't exist, at a store that was open when they said they left it. Total b/s.
So I was SOL.
It just showed up a few days ago.

Very nice, does the horse hide work better than steer hide?
I honestly don't think any leather works better than any other leather. I've had steer hide, A TM actually. Nice stuff, works well. I've had a bunch of different leather strops actually. They all worked just fine.
I prefer the feel of HH with this finish best, and the more textured type second. After that, I guess the Kanayama shell wins 3rd place.
But not because one makes a better edge.. I'm only talking about 'feel' here.

Well done, Keith!
Ty! Next - I'm going to make a 2.5" version with a linen fire hose piece for a second component.

Still undecided about the end - the leather is 'just' thick enough where adding a ring or handle could be justified.
I'm hoping it breaks in a bit more so I can leave it as is without reservation.

I don't notice any issues, difficulties or other preference-related issues when holding a wider strop..... guess it depends on the person.

Don't mean to take this off-topic, yours looks like a nice piece and I would love to cut myself some horse-hide and play around with it some day. I hold the end with what I think is called the "barber's grip." There, the fingers cross over the stropping surface at the end and curl around the far edge and the thumb curls around the near edge. For my sample size of exactly one off-hand, 2-1/2" wide seems a comfortable fit, 2" a bit narrow, and 3" just a little bit too wide. Of course, one can prefer what one wants, and 3" seems to be the preference; but there, I think the grip may be different (thinking of a handle here). As the trend moves this way, I can only bemoan that more and more strop makers only seem to be selling 2" and 3" models, whereas 2-1/2" was a favored width in days gone by.

Top Bottom