What's new

Tell me what's so great about synthetic brushes.

I've never actually owned a badger or boar brush, as the Parker synthetic that I use now is my very first brush. However, I love how soft it is on my face. At night when I go to brush my teeth I have been known to open my bathroom drawer and circle the brush around my face a few times simply because it feels amazing, along with sniffing my current shave soap. Come on, admit it, we've all sniffed soaps/creams. One part of me wants to try a badger brush, but the other part says to just stick with the synthetic for now. But I love it either way.

Any recommendations in particular, Bob?

The Body Shop brush does a serviceable job, but it's not in the same league as the current crop of synthetics. The latest batch are much easier to work with when it comes to controlling water incorporation. The earlier batches, like the Body Shop brush, drop water as fast as a Rebel ship dumps cargo when an Empire starship enters the sector. I have a Rudy Vey custom with a 25 mm Mühle STF 2.0 knot, and it's phenomenal, with really good backbone and soft tips. I also have the Plisson for L'Occitane, and it is a lot floppier, but still does a great job on both soaps and creams. For someone looking for a synthetic with backbone comparable to a shorter lofted boar, try the Kent Infinity Silvertex.

The main problem with synths is they DO NOT absorb water.

They capture it around the fibers (outside of the fibers not inside like natural bristoe/hair does)

One you understand this, you are well on your way to making them work for YOU.

This is why you do not need to soak a synth. No point, as the water is around the fiber, not soaked up within it like a natural hair brush does

I have the Muhle X-Large Silvertip synthetic brush and I just actually used it today with my Muhle R41. I love this brush, it's super soft on my face, fantastic for whipping up a great lather with the Maca Root Body Shop soap I used, it dried in a few hours (whereas my badger brushes...or even Semogue Owner's Club boar brush) take a full day.

They (synthetics) may not absorb as much as my silvertip badger brushes (nor hold heat as well), but I can get three great lathers for a 3 pass shave every time.

It feels super sturdy and after a few months with it, I haven't lost 1 hair.

Because of my Muhle synth I have not ever tried a badger brush. Before the Muhle I used Omega boar brush that was not used once after Muhle came... And I cant see myself of wanting other brush, because:

- I am not sure I want to shampoo a brush or otherwise take care about it
- I dont like the idea of waiting for a brush to get soaked
- people say they shed (like my Omega boar did)
- I know a good badger usually has a nice price, unlike synth
- my boar usualy was not dry the next day - no such issue with Muhle

I have a sweet feeling towards my synth - its like wife - I do not have to look for another.

Fate conspired...
To put me in an airport with synthetic brushes in mind
With a few minutes to spare
In a terminal with a L'Occitane store
A store with precisely one Plisson left.

Who am I to question fate?
It is really soft....
Can't wait to try it against Arko in the morning.

I have been using synthetic exclusively for a month or more. I tried my badger. It didn't feel good. Much coarser fibers and not as soft.

I might point out that the "Black Fiber" ones are quite different from the Silvertip Fiber.

That is a good place to find the brush you want. Which one are you considering?
./.

I was thinking about one of the XL's or maybe one of the black fiber ones. What is so different about them?

The brushes from the Grooming Company also look interesting.

proxy.php

They are extremely practical as a travel brush, they dry incredibly quickly, the better ones are extremely soft, they generate a great deal of lather with very little product and you don't have to be so delicate with them. Nonetheless, they will never replace my badger brushes. :biggrin1:

They're super soft yet sturdy, they dry fast, hold a lot of lather, there's no break-in period, they don't smell, they don't shed. I would say the only disadvantage I notice is that they don't hold heat as well as animal hair brushes. In fact very hot water will make the bristles warp (although it's not a permanent effect)

The brushes from the Grooming Company also look interesting.

I have both the Plisson pour L'Occitane and the Grooming Co. synthetic brushes. The both use the same fibers but the Grooming Co. has a fatter more dense knot with less loft. In use it has more backbone and doesn't splay as easily as the Plisson. But like the Plisson it takes less time to load then my natural hair brushes, and quickly builds tons of lather.

I currently use these two brushes exclusively and I have yet to decide which one I like better, all I can say so far is my Badger & Boar brushes are very lonely right now... :tongue_sm

$WP_20150226_15_52_23_Pro.jpg$WP_20150223_15_34_14_Pro.jpg

I have both the Plisson pour L'Occitane and the Grooming Co. synthetic brushes. The both use the same fibers but the Grooming Co. has a fatter more dense knot with less loft. In use it has more backbone and doesn't splay as easily as the Plisson. But like the Plisson it takes less time to load then my natural hair brushes, and quickly builds tons of lather.

I currently use these two brushes exclusively and I have yet to decide which one I like better, all I can say so far is my Badger & Boar brushes are very lonely right now... :tongue_sm

View attachment 554272View attachment 554273

Do you find the GC handle too small?

First use of the Plisson (latest edition, the lighter wood)

Almost seems as soft as a make up brush. Thought it might have problems picking up my Arko, but loaded quickly enough.
I hand lathered and was pleasantly surprised how quickly the lather formed.
My only concern is damaging the really fine hairs - they seem to want to fold in at times like a horse hair brush can do if you splay a little too much.
A slightly thicker fiber would seem to be more optimal.

first impression - good!

First use of the Plisson (latest edition, the lighter wood)

Almost seems as soft as a make up brush. Thought it might have problems picking up my Arko, but loaded quickly enough.
I hand lathered and was pleasantly surprised how quickly the lather formed.
My only concern is damaging the really fine hairs - they seem to want to fold in at times like a horse hair brush can do if you splay a little too much.
A slightly thicker fiber would seem to be more optimal.

first impression - good!

As far as damaging the bristles goes...you would have a tough time doing that. I would say the only real danger of damage to that brush lies in letting water creep up and into the handle as well as soaking it in overly hot water. Never a need to use water hotter on a brush than you can stand on your skin anyways...

Thanks for the comparison!

Follow up: I did a bowl lather today with the Grooming Co. brush for the first time and I noticed that even though the handle is a bit small it hung on the edge of my shaving bowl quite nicely.

$WP_20150304_19_41_19_Pro.jpg

Top Bottom