What's new

Tell me what's so great about synthetic brushes.

Best travel brush ever.

No need to take any special care.

Shake it off.

Towel it dry

Put it away in a box with no worries about the hairs.

They require NO soaking

OH...

They work VERY well too

proxy.php

For me,

They feel better than any Badger and Boar I have had.
They lather soaps better than any badger or boar.
They clean easily
They dry Easily
They are more affordable
and
A custom Synthetic cost less than a badger.

However, that's not to say I don't appreciate a badger or boar.

No break in period, no funky smell, travels well, and if you are a vegan or animal rights person, not much choice.
i started with a Plisson, for no other reason than it was available locally. Using an Omega hi brush now, whipped dog on order. Like the softness, but on occasion even the Plisson will irritate, my skin is sensitive..

Best travel brush ever.

Shake it off.

Towel it dry

They require NO soaking

OH...

They work VERY well too
You got it all!

Totally agree with one addition: Combine with a stick - and they turn sublime... :001_rolle

Best travel brush ever.

Shake it off.

Towel it dry

They require NO soaking

OH...

They work VERY well too

proxy.php

+1 on all the advantages of taking a synthetic on the road, but my travel "companion" is an old-style L'Occitane en Provence Plisson Brush. Added bonus, the bristles are so soft it feels like you're brushing lather to your face with butterfly wings.

$plisson in stand.jpg$plisson brush.jpg

Tim

Feels different from a Badger or Boar, so there is some chance you will actually prefer how it feels and performs.

Some people like that no animal was harmed or involved.

I find myself using my synth more often than the natural hair brushes

The main reason is I always forget to soak the badger hair before getting into the shower and I don't want to wait around after while a thick knot badger soaks

So I grab the synth and shave stick, shave, and say, next time boys to the badgers and boars... Then I forget to soak the..... seems like it is getting to be an endless cycle

What Mick has stated! I don't like their 'springiness' very much, but they work, brilliantly!

There is a slightly odd feel when first applied to the face and +1 to these gents for nailing it, it can only be described as "springiness". For me the attribute that makes a synthetic brush so great is that Peter Wolf made mine!

I find myself using my synth more often than the natural hair brushes

The main reason is I always forget to soak the badger hair before getting into the shower and I don't want to wait around after while a thick knot badger soaks

I do not soak any of my brushes, I use my Omega 49 the most and my synthetic comes in second. Dry time for synthetic is about a couple of hours and retains the same shape I got it in Biggest mistake I made was soaking my boar brushes like is recommended here, I just quickly run them under warm to hot water and then shake off all to where brush is almost dry, yeah the 49 is a lather hog BUT it will hold so much lather that the brush alone can easily supply 3-4 passes.
View attachment 553227

As for the Plisson, it has no backbone whatsoever and feels like a wet rat IMHO Too dainty, I guess like butterfly's dancing across ones face. Used mine twice and got rid of it, worst purchase so far of shaving goods.

Last edited:
$image.jpg
There is a slightly odd feel when first applied to the face and +1 to these gents for nailing it, it can only be described as "springiness". For me the attribute that makes a synthetic brush so great is that Peter Wolf made mine!

The handles are absolutely beautiful, I have seen quite a few. For some reason the knot's look lopsided to me, not symmetrical.

Last edited:
Most people say there's no break-in, and I'd agree generally. However, though it may be partly my imagination or that my technique using it has improved, I perceived a slight improvement in the performance of my Muhle 23mm Silvertip Fibre after two dozen or so uses. The fibers seemed to become somewhat more pliant and responsive.

That said, my current favorite brush, and perhaps my favorite of all time, is a hybrid badger/synthetic. Reason is simple - it offers the best of both worlds. Amazingly soft, yet with firm backbone. Tremendous face lathering, but releases lather easily. Holds more water than a full synthetic, which makes loading easier and retains warmth better. Never loses a hair, and dries in around half the time of a full natural bristle.

DGI

Best travel brush ever.

Shake it off.
Towel it dry

They require NO soaking
OH...
They work VERY well too

+1 best brush to take when you travel.

The handles are absolutely beautiful, I have seen quite a few. For some reason the knot's look lopsided to me, not symmetrical.

Thanks for the....compliment? Does anyone know what the American Shaving Brush Manufacturers standard tolerances are for symmetry pertaining to handmade synthetic shaving brushes?

I knew that dimensional metrology course would come in handy some day, I must get busy measuring my brushes :lol:

+1 on all the advantages of taking a synthetic on the road, but my travel "companion" is an old-style L'Occitane en Provence Plisson Brush. Added bonus, the bristles are so soft it feels like you're brushing lather to your face with butterfly wings.

View attachment 553209http://straightrazorplace.com/attachments/brushes/45747d1279215411-gotta-love-target-file_4c18dcbf63213.jpg
Tim

I see that the shea moisture brush company has copied the plisson package:
proxy.php

View attachment 553233

I like the colors on that handle, just not the style. I see what your mean about lopsided too, thinking if you turned the brush to a different side though it would look normal. Been looking at some synthetics myself, I like the idea of them being easier on sensitive skin. Ill have to look into getting one, just not sure which one.

Top Bottom