What's new

Tell me what's so great about synthetic brushes.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Synthetics dry nicely in summer No worries. Some of my synthetics are really competitive with badgers. I like the concept of a badger/synthetic combo. Who makes em? btw -I am sure EVERY brush is not symmetrical.

I think all has been said, but I like mine because remembering to soak the brush seldom happens, nor do I have a lot of time. Not only for that, but I can use less product slightly so things will last longer.

Most people say there's no break-in, and I'd agree generally. However, though it may be partly my imagination or that my technique using it has improved, I perceived a slight improvement in the performance of my Muhle 23mm Silvertip Fibre after two dozen or so uses. The fibers seemed to become somewhat more pliant and responsive.

That said, my current favorite brush, and perhaps my favorite of all time, is a hybrid badger/synthetic. Reason is simple - it offers the best of both worlds. Amazingly soft, yet with firm backbone. Tremendous face lathering, but releases lather easily. Holds more water than a full synthetic, which makes loading easier and retains warmth better. Never loses a hair, and dries in around half the time of a full natural bristle.

DGI

DGI,

Can you share with us some pictures of your hybrid badger/synthetic? Also, where did you get it? Inquiring minds (a.k.a., those of us with no will power to say this is the LAST brush) want to know :001_rolle.

Tim

The Good:
No animal smell when the brush is new.
No break in time before you see the full performance of the brush.
No shedding
No soaking needed like natural hair brushes
Fast drying time. Rinse, a couple of shakes and flicks and its 99% dry.
Very consistent lathers. The brush always behaves the same.
Rinses lather out easier after shave preventing soap build up.
Lasts longer than natural hair. Fibers don't absorb soap/lather/water like natural hair so they don't get brittle over time.
Bristles don't break off or crack in half
Doesn't need to be shampooed or cleaned often as the fibers don't absorb.
Even the most expensive synthetic is nowhere near the price of the expensive badgers.
Not made with animal products if that is something you care about.

The Bad:
Less heat retention (If that is something you look for although many do not mind that difference. For example scuttle shavers, cold water shavers, shaving in the summer etc.)
Less water holding ability. Since the fibers don't absorb water the brush doesn't hold as much water as a badger. If you try and keep it soaked and then lather, it will all fall out. Generally you start with a dryer brush and add water as you go. Slightly different technique than natural brushes so you need to learn that.
It's "different". Just like badger, boar, and horse feel different. A synthetic is different too but for some reason gets a bad rap because it is a synthetic.
It's not as old school. (technology is a great thing though!)

Just like with natural hair brushes there are floppy synthetics and stiff synthetics. Small knots, large knots. High loft, low loft. Different handles. Different hair colors. I think anyone could find a synthetic with the properties they like. There are not as many choices yet so maybe some haven't found that ideal one yet. I am curious how others feel about it. For me the good is definitely better than the bad.

All of what's been said above, plus they're excellent if you're in a hurry since you don't have to soak or really dry them. Also, no allergic reactions if you have allergies to animal hair.

I have become so impressed with the performance and face feel of the current crop of synthetic fibers that I have almost reached the point where I would recommend them over natural hair brushes.

I have become so impressed with the performance and face feel of the current crop of synthetic fibers that I have almost reached the point where I would recommend them over natural hair brushes.

I agree and I think for a beginner they should definitely start with a synthetic. No break in and easier to make lather.
Any recommendations in particular, Bob?

If you want cheap and good but lacking some backbone the Plisson Synthetic. If you want great luxury the Edwin Jagger XL Synthetic brush.

Curious how others feel like beginish.

I have also been looking to add a synthetic to my rotation, however the lack of information on them makes it difficult. The makers don't seem inclined to describe the fiber they use (generation or backbone).

Some, like the L'Occitane en Provence, use collapsible travel handles for away-from-home shavers. They do the job, even if not as comfortably as badger. They dry fast with little or no ventilation. They are hard to beat for travel - then go home to the luxury of full-weight razors and badger or boar brushes.
The special friends of the animals would chime in that nothing has to die to give up the bristles.

Travel synth is a must have. Something to protect the fibers from getting boinked around when the brush is put away

proxy.php

I was skeptical too about trying a synthetic. I watched a video about the Omega Hi-Performance Synthetic and thought I would try that one. It costs less than $20. I used it for the first time yesterday, all I can say is I am impressed!
As said above, you have to press a little harder when in use. I had no trouble making a nice lather in my mug. The brush does dry more quickly, which is a plus and a minus.
If I ever have to travel, this is the brush I will take. Dries quickly, and no smell to worry about.

All of the Muhle synth brushes I have owned have been on the softer side.

All of the Muhle synth brushes I have owned have been used for face lathering exclusively and mostly with shave sticks.

They are not like a boar brush but they are pretty nice brushes.

My favorite of all is the 19mm which sounds small but it has a Napoleon complex and thinks it is a 30mm.

What would you recommend for a high quality synthetic that would have similar backbone to boar?

The Muhle STF 23 mm L knot is a great brush. If you like a really large brush the try the Muhle STF 25 mm XL Knot.
You can't go wrong with either one.
./.

If you're into the Badger sort of slight 'scritchiness', even the Body Shop brush can be pretty serviceable. It's available cheap and local to many, many people, and very often it's on sale for around 7$. Get the Maca Cream whilst you're there, and even if the brush doesn't work out, you've made a worthwhile trip.

Here is a ditto for the Body Shop brush. And regarding synths that behave like boars, Omega make a couple but I would not recommend the Syntex, way too floppy.

...As for the Plisson, it has no backbone whatsoever and feels like a wet rat IMHO Too dainty, I guess like butterfly's dancing across ones face. Used mine twice and got rid of it, worst purchase so far of shaving goods.

As much as you have expressed your displeasure throughout this forum with the L'Occitane Plisson, it is far from a wet rat. As many have mentioned, it may not be as scrubby as a boar but it makes up for it in softness and lather making. I face lather daily with this brush and find it lifts the whiskers just fine, and has a very soft exfoliation of the skin. Sorry you did not enjoy the experience as much as many of the rest of us have.

To OP, my experience with synthetics has been that the advantages are no hair loss, quick drying, work with any soap or cream I have thrown at them, and they seem to use less soap and water to make a good consistent lather. I previously used a Muhle v1 for almost a year exclusively and have experimented with a variety of 30 or so other brushes both natural and synthetic hair. But I recently moved to the L'Occitane Plisson and have no desire to buy another brush. Muhle v2 and Plisson seem to lead the pack right now for quality synthetics, but other brands are spoken of highly as well.

Hope you have a good experience if you decided to take the synthetic plunge, and enjoy the shaves.

DGI,

Can you share with us some pictures of your hybrid badger/synthetic? Also, where did you get it? Inquiring minds (a.k.a., those of us with no will power to say this is the LAST brush) want to know :001_rolle.

Tim

There's a pretty long thread about it here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/443832-My-amazing-new-brush-from-Japan

I'll probably update it from time to time, but after about a month of use, my admiration for this brush has only grown, to my surprise. I can't wait to use it, and because it has no history (it's made in very small numbers by a company not known for making shaving brushes) I worry about its longevity in a way that I don't with any of my other brushes. It's quite an experience.

DGI

I have 4 and another on the way - they are a Virginia Sheng Pur Tech pre-made brush, another Ganville-Green cheap synthetic, a TGN 3-band synthetic 20mm and a Virginia Sheng (Vic Shaving) 20mm New Synthetic. I am waiting for a 21mm Frank Shaving non-PurTech pre-made brush. I like them quite a bit and believe they should be given strong consideration by people looking for a new brush.

My current favorite is a Virginia Sheng 20mm knot put into a shined up vintage Ever-Ready 100 handle - very easy to do. The next is the TGN 3-band 20mm in a old Sanax handle - slightly less dense, easy to splay like the one in the Ever-Ready handle. I can create great face lathers with either one. The pre-made Vic Shaving (Virginia Sheng) Pur Tech 20mm - is one that I am not a big fan of - the glue bump is substantial and it is a fan shape and does not splay well. I have contacted them to see if they sent the wrong one as it does not look like the one they show in the offering in eBay store. The Ganville-Green one is pretty junky, springy, not good to splay, handle cracking already with little use - bought as a cheap flyer to see if the knot was any good.

The Frank Shaving one that is in the mail is not one of their PurTech offerings, but it was cheap - should have maybe gone for a little bigger knot 24 vs. 21mm, but I have a goatee and a big brush is not always desirable for me.

I bought a synthetic knot for a handle I had to restore, as I was going on a trip and wanted an easy brush to take that would dry quickly. I started using it and liked it so much, I quickly bought another knot from a different supplier. I use the synthetic brushes quite a bit even while at home - probably just as much as my 2 boar brushes that I love. They work great for me face lathering croaps, soaps and creams.

I just took the VS PurTech fan shaped brush that I am not fond of and bowl lathered an amazing amount of lather in two new thrift store bowls I picked up this weekend - with VDH deluxe soap! Only loaded the brush for 10 seconds and off I went. If my cell phone was not broken - I would have definitely taken and posted the pics. Each attempt, did it for each of the two bowls, produced an awesome amount of thick rich lather and there was enough to shave Chewbacca. These synthetics - even the cheaper ones - perform very well for me.

If you look around - you can get a brand name for $30 - $45. The Shaving Evangelist does a comparison on YouTube of the The Golden Nib (TGN) synthetic brush vs. Frank Shaving brush, there are other YouTube videos of people comparing or rating their top synthetic brushes - which may be helpful.

Good luck!

Top Bottom