What's new

Best Sunscreen?

Anyone know of a great sunscreen or block for sensitive skin? One that is good on the face. I have used the one from Clinique and my skin didn't like it. The best one I have used so far is the Mary Kay sun screen. I'm looking for other options.

Thanks!

As someone with fair skin, a familial (although not personal) history of sun-related melanoma, and who has similar-toned young kids, I've learned quite a lot on sunscreens and have tried many different kinds. The good news is that the sunscreen industry is pretty heavily regulated so that as long as you get broad spectrum coverage (which they all do now as the FDA requires it - it protects again both UVA and UVB rays) and use 30 SPF you should be fine. Pretty much every source says that 30 SPF is the "tipping point"; it provides enough protection but anything more doesn't provide much more (i.e. 60 SPF does not provide 100% more protection than 30 SPF, more like 0.5%). I have found that what is more important than SPF is diligence; if you're going to be out all day, a couple of applications and most sunscreens will need to be reapplied within 80 minutes of being in water.

I am only moved to respond to this post because of the link provided above. They reference the Environmental Working Group ratings, an organization that I find to be alarmist and a bit disingenuous in their purpose. They are primarily a lobbying organization and while they probably have altruistic goals they tend to release their findings in headline-catching manner. Every year in spring they always come out with some "don't use these sunscreens on your children" article and it causes parents to freak out, but the FDA and various other organizations like the Skin Cancer Foundation and Dana-Farber's skin cancer wing always refute, or at least distinguish, their "findings."

This isn't to say that the sunscreens they recommend don't work. It just means that you can feel secure buying any currently produced sunscreen (i.e. one with broad spectrum coverage). Personally I like Trader Joe's version. It absorbs quickly, isn't tacky, doesn't smell too much like Banana Boat, and provides good coverage all day (we just came back from Disney World and nary a red mark to be found!). We usually use Water Babies or Coppertone Kids for our girls and they've never had a sunburn (knock on wood!).

Burka?

$burka.jpg

Anything with SPF 30 should be fine. I guess I have normal skin with a good ability to tan. I just pick up a tube of Banana Boat SPF 30 and make sure I apply it when needed. That's all you need really. I think it's kind of ridiculous seeing people with SPF 70 sunscreens.

Top Bottom