What's new

What to Wear to an Interview

I applied for a carpenter/painter position at a local hospital. I interviewed back in November. I got a call today for a second interview. For the first interview I wore RL Polo navy chinos with a light blue BB OCBD (no tie) with leather boots (Clarks dessert boots or Rockport chukkas, don't remember). Also wore a khaki jacket similar to what Walter White wore in Breaking Bad (don't know what it is called, bomber maybe?). Since this is a manual labor job I decided not to wear a suit. My question to you guys is for my next interview do I kick it up a level or go with what I wore the first time? My gut instinct says to wear what I wore the first time or something similar (I won't be interviewing with the same people).

All opinions welcome, thanks.

I would definitely up it a notch at least. Nobody will ever fault you for trying to earn a position. I understand you don't want to wear a suite but consider wearing a tie.

Don

I would definitely up it a notch at least. Nobody will ever fault you for trying to earn a position. I understand you don't want to wear a suite but consider wearing a tie.

Don
I don't think a suit is necessary. A button-down shirt and a tie with the rest of the ensemble would be fine if you wanted to kick it up a notch. As a guy who interviews lots of people for lots of different positions, a tie suggests one cares enough about the job to make the effort to wear a tie.

I agree with above. Button down with tie. Navy blazer and well pressed khakis. Positive attitude. Good luck!

I agree with above. Button down with tie. Navy blazer and well pressed khakis. Positive attitude. Good luck!

I agree. Khakis, a blazer or sport jacket, white or light blue shirt without a button down collar. Conservative tie. Nice dress shoes and belt to match.

Bring copies of your resume for yourself and everyone you expect to be on the interviewing panel. Bring a leather organizer to take notes and write down important notes for yourself.

Be prepared to ask thoughtful questions. Be prepared to explain to the Facilities Director how you can make his job easier.

Last edited:
I don't think a suit is necessary. A button-down shirt and a tie with the rest of the ensemble would be fine if you wanted to kick it up a notch. As a guy who interviews lots of people for lots of different positions, a tie suggests one cares enough about the job to make the effort to wear a tie.

Agree 100%...sometimes making the effort is better than most.

UPDATE: I ended up wearing pretty much what I wore for the first interview but added a sports jacket, tie and dress shoes. It certainly didn't hurt, I start my new job next week. :thumbup:

I agree. Khakis, a blazer or sport jacket, white or light blue shirt without a button down collar. Conservative tie. Nice dress shoes and belt to match.

Bring copies of your resume for yourself and everyone you expect to be on the interviewing panel. Bring a leather organizer to take notes and write down important notes for yourself.

Be prepared to ask thoughtful questions. Be prepared to explain to the Facilities Director how you can make his job easier.

I wish that everyone I interview would follow this advice!

UPDATE: I ended up wearing pretty much what I wore for the first interview but added a sports jacket, tie and dress shoes. It certainly didn't hurt, I start my new job next week. :thumbup:

Congratulations, that's great news!

Top Bottom