What's new

Good evening Gentlemen.greetings from a Brit now living in Canada

I just wanted to introduce myself to the members here at B&B. I a complete newbie to wet shaving, and stumbled across this forum when I was researching ways get a clean shave and curb bumbs and rashes that appear from my current way of shaving, using supermarket Gillette and Bic shavers, as well as the goop in the cans.

I have to shave everyday for my job unfortunately, and I also have sensitive skin. My question for your wise ones and long term wet shavers is as follows:

- For a complete novice like me looking to get into the wet shaving using creams and soap, which list of basic newbie tools would you recommend for me to buy from stores or online from ebay?

- I don't have long beard or anything i.e. am not a bushy type

- Which aftershaves care with no alcohol that will dry my face do you suggest?

Sincerely

Welcome to B&B. Glad that you joined us. As far as shave gear. . . there are sooooooooo many shave items to choose that it
is almost impossible to select for you. However, I will give you a "to go" list and remember: YMMV... your mileage
may vary which means "what works for one will not work for another".

Razor (modern): Edwin Jagger 89L, Merkur 34C

Razor (vintage): Gillette Super Speed, Gillette Tech, Gillette Slim

Blade: Astra SP, Feather (sharp but great blade), Polsilver Super Iridium, Gillette Silver Blue, Crystal, Voskhod

Soap: Mike's Natural Soap, TIKI Bar Soap, Mystic Water Soap, Cella, Speick, RazoRock

Cream: C.O. Bigelow (you can get this at your local Bath and Body Works), Taylor of Old Bond Street

Brush: Any Semogue brushes

Aftershaves: Osage Rub (if you love the menthol burn and tingling), FINE Aftershaves, Captain's Choice

Again... welcome to B&B. Enjoy your journey. I know I am.

WARHAWK

Hello and welcome here. Great to have you on board. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Razor
Badger brush from Whipped Dog
Unscented cream
Aftershave - perhaps no alcohol
Nivea sensitive Skin Post Shave Balm

Sorry for my suggestions on the aftershaves as they all contain alcohol. Here are some great vendors for modern shave items:

Bull Goose Shaving

West Coast Shaving

Lee's Safety Razors

Italian Barber

Royal Shave

Connaught Shaving (located in England but they have some great prices if you don't mind the wait)

Small Flower

Razor Blades and More

WARHAWK

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Welcome; Check Garrys Sample Shop website (he's also a B&B member) for a complete starter set that includes a shave ready Gillette razor at a very reasonable price.

Fellas...thanks for the warm welcome, really appreciate it. Hope you all had a good week, and you are ready to just relax this weekend as we head into March.....for the folks that have snow like me, bet you lot can't wait to see the end of it ...eh? LOL

I wonder if a light dusting of some talcum powder instead of after shave lotion might help you.

It is always used on real BBS which we are always trying to emulate so it probably would not hurt.

It does have a slight cooling effect.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

A few ideas for you:

Blades: Astra are the smoothest ones I have found so far. Better for beginners than Feathers (I've tried both and Astras are favourites)

Shaving Cream: I find creams easier to lather than soaps. Proraso and La Toja are some I like. A cheap alternative available locally is Nivea.

Preshave Oil: I make my own. 2 parts castor oil to 1 part olive oil plus essential oil for scent

Aftershave Balm: I make my own. 1 part witch hazel and 1 part aloe vera gel plus essential oil for scent

Favourite Razor: Gillette Aristocrat (vintage)

By making my own preshave oil and aftershave balm, I free up money to try more shaving creams. :)

Top Bottom