What's new

Above The Tie Recommendations!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well, I took a 2 day break, to let me skin calm down. Today was my first shave after the break. Rather than an S1/feather, I used an S2/astra. What a difference!

Though I could certainly feel the shave much more, I had to do much less blade buffing, and I got a much closer shave. No irritation either.

I'll stick with my S2 for awhile, then see how I feel!

Can someone post a S1 and S2 with a blade in it to see how much of the blade shows.

I am curious and trying to decide on what to get. I think I would like a R1 but might also try a slant too!

Thx.

There is a "Razor Aggressiveness" chart on the ATT website. Gives the blade
exposure for most razors.

I just finished shaving with the ATT Kronos with an M2 baseplate, and accomplished a truly excellent shave. Perhaps a personal best.

I'm generally a safety bar guy so I started with the M1 as my first plate when the razor arrived. The M1 is certainly a fine shaver but takes more focus than my Feather AS-D2, and the shave was good with minimal irritation. I don't know if I was just in the zone tonight or what, but shaving with the M2 was like an extension of my hand. The shave was extremely close, irritation-free, and enjoyable. It is like using a surgical instrument in its precision.

It's amazing how these razors seem to morph in different ways depending on the individual shaving technique of the user. It seems hard to predict which plate will best suit a given person. Well, I have both an S1 and S2 enroute along with an Atlas handle, so there will be plenty of mixing and matching going on,,,

I just finished shaving with the ATT Kronos with an M2 baseplate, and accomplished a truly excellent shave. Perhaps a personal best.

I'm generally a safety bar guy so I started with the M1 as my first plate when the razor arrived. The M1 is certainly a fine shaver but takes more focus than my Feather AS-D2, and the shave was good with minimal irritation. I don't know if I was just in the zone tonight or what, but shaving with the M2 was like an extension of my hand. The shave was extremely close, irritation-free, and enjoyable. It is like using a surgical instrument in its precision.

It's amazing how these razors seem to morph in different ways depending on the individual shaving technique of the user. It seems hard to predict which plate will best suit a given person. Well, I have both an S1 and S2 enroute along with an Atlas handle, so there will be plenty of mixing and matching going on,,,

Isn't it awesome when it all comes together and you get one of those spectacular shaves??:thumbup:

I pulled the trigger on an open-comb slant, Kronus handle today. I guess that is an S2?

I have several vintage and new DE razors, but I now shave 95% of the time with straight razors. I am interested to see if I can find a regular spot for the new ATT in my lineup!

In any event, I can blame another $185 spent on too much time browsing the B&B forums! LOL.

I pulled the trigger on an open-comb slant, Kronus handle today. I guess that is an S2?

I have several vintage and new DE razors, but I now shave 95% of the time with straight razors. I am interested to see if I can find a regular spot for the new ATT in my lineup!

In any event, I can blame another $185 spent on too much time browsing the B&B forums! LOL.

Congrats Sam! You can't go wrong with ATT. It's all I use now. My other razor (I only have two) sits on display. The Kronos rules every day and never lets me down. Outstanding quality and a great shave.

Give us a report on your impressions when it arrives.

A lot cheaper than a pre-war Gibson Mastertone!

Just a quick follow up.

I have shaved one time with my new ATT Kronos R2 slant. I just used one of the included Astra SP blades. Hands down, for my skin and whiskers, this is the closest shave to a straight razor that I have achieved. Perfect (and I do mean perfect!) BBS after 3 passes. I was very close after only two passes. No irritation, whatsoever. I am very, very impressed. Better than my Gillette New, Old type, or Slim. Better than my EJ 89L. Better than my Parker 26C. Better than my Standard Black. You get the idea! Darn near to an excellent straight razor shave, which takes much more concentration and effort to achieve.

There is no reason for anyone to fear this razor. I never felt that I was anywhere close to getting cut or burned. Forget about "aggressiveness", blade gap, etc. etc. Just get one. I have a new, clear favorite for anytime that my straight razors are set aside, for whatever reason.

Well done, ATT!!

My first ATT plate, the R2, I thought was perfect. I kept wondering whether the other OCs might be better, so I ordered the M2 and H2. I then decided the H2 was perfect. Then Stan released the S2. Lucky for me, I have a month of restraint starting tomorrow. If I can just get through the next few hours...

You guys are killing me!

My first ATT plate, the R2, I thought was perfect. I kept wondering whether the other OCs might be better, so I ordered the M2 and H2. I then decided the H2 was perfect. Then Stan released the S2. Lucky for me, I have a month of restraint starting tomorrow. If I can just get through the next few hours...

You guys are killing me!

It's a constant struggle to beat the temptations here isn't it? :blink:

It's a constant struggle to beat the temptations here isn't it? :blink:

Tell me about it. Now I have the closed comb M, R, and H plates, the open comb M, R, and H plates, two caps and all three handle sizes. If you told me a month ago I would end up with all this ATT gear, I would have said "you are crazy". :)

If you guys think that DE razor RAD is a severe affliction, just wait until you decide to take the plunge into straight razors...it is an even worse disorder! And then, you decide to start chasing hones and strops! There is no bottom to the hole that we jump into. LOL!

M1 and AS-D2 are quite similar in result. AS-D2 is a little more forgiving of bad technique and requires a little more concentration to get it to be efficient.

I have very sensitive skin that can react to irritation, a dragged razor, or various chemicals, or just plain soap. Even so, I enjoy the S2 (and the S1); but I have also successfully shaved with the H2. So, I'm not sure that it's sensitive skin that's the whole criteria. The superior efficiency of the entire ATT line is part of what helps them have less irritation for me IMO.

Hi all,

So, I am considering getting an Above the Tie razor. After doing pretty extensive research, I have concluded that an M1, M2, S1, or S2, would be best for me because of my very sensitive skin. It seems that, generally, the M2 is favored over the M1, and the S2 is slightly favored over the S1.

So, I would like to ask: who has experience with these? What are the differences?

Also, which ATT handle is most similar in weight to an AS-D2?

I just finished shaving for the first time with my new Atlas S2. This is a special razor. It cuts beard like a straight razor. The feel, the sound, the intuitive connection between blade edge and skin, instantly commanded my attention: this is a force to be reckoned with.

I concentrated in the same way I do with a straight, and was rewarded with a remarkable irritation-free shave in 2 passes and a touch up. I disagree with some of the posts: this is not a beginner's razor. This razor requires skill.

The S2 is a razor that deserves respect but can reward you with a most satisfying shave.

Top Bottom