What's new

Above The Tie Recommendations!

I pulled the trigger. I went with Stan's recommendation: a kronos S2. Because of his amazing return policy, I got an S1 as well. I figure I can return the head that performs worse for me. From your comments above it seems like I might use S1 as a daily driver and S2 for date night...

Congratulations! You're bound to love one, if not both. If it goes really well, consider joining us over at BATTS (Brotherhood of Above the Tie Shavers)! Either way, do let us know what you think.

I couldn't tell you about the S1, but I've tried the M1 on all three handles, and despite my preference for shorter, my favorite was the Colossus. The Atlas barber pole looks great but just isn't grippy enough. It also has, along with the Kronos, a rounded bottom, which I don't like as I often rest the bottoms on my little finger.

Compared to my 34/38C and DE89 the M1 has excellent feedback and is more aggressive, which I need. I'll be trying out the R1 for the first time later today...

Report back on your impressions of the R1. I've had great shaves from the M1 and R1.

Report back on your impressions of the R1. I've had great shaves from the M1 and R1.

Gladly--my impression is that the Kronos R1 delivered the closest shave I've ever had. It was incredible. In six months of DE shaving I was starting to think I'm just not meant for BBS, but the R1 changed my mind. It was smooth and efficient with zero pressure applied, but felt ready to snarl and bite at the slightest misstep. Very little margin for error at that level of aggressiveness, and at my level of experience.

After two more R1 shaves (using the other two handles) I'll be trying out the H1 with an ambulance on speed dial.

Gladly--my impression is that the Kronos R1 delivered the closest shave I've ever had. It was incredible. In six months of DE shaving I was starting to think I'm just not meant for BBS, but the R1 changed my mind. It was smooth and efficient with zero pressure applied, but felt ready to snarl and bite at the slightest misstep. Very little margin for error at that level of aggressiveness, and at my level of experience.

After two more R1 shaves (using the other two handles) I'll be trying out the H1 with an ambulance on speed dial.

mrbloagus,
Your sense of shaving adventure and lack of fear are impressive. As a guy who can't stand the sight of blood, I'm enjoying my Feather AS-D2, which has yet to bite me (unlike my Merkur Futur, which is collecting dust). Maybe, just maybe, I'll try an ATT M1/2 or S1/2.
John

Great to hear you like the R1. Yes, it's a close shave and I'm really liking it - but will def bite if you get careless with it.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I love my AS-D2. It is the first razor that hasn't made me red and bloody. That being said, the shave is not the closest for me. Hence I am trying ATT. I will tell you my results!

mrbloagus,
Your sense of shaving adventure and lack of fear are impressive. As a guy who can't stand the sight of blood, I'm enjoying my Feather AS-D2, which has yet to bite me (unlike my Merkur Futur, which is collecting dust). Maybe, just maybe, I'll try an ATT M1/2 or S1/2.
John

I have tried every ATT head except for the H2. I agree, pretty much with everything said here from the excellent engineering/quality to the fantastic customer service. On My Face Anyway, there is something magical about the slants - both the S1 and S2. Both feel mild but shave remarkably efficiently. To those who have tried some of the ATT line and are curious about the slants, this is how I see it:

The Slants Feel Like an M but Shave Like an R.

The S1 is smoother but the S2 is a bit more aggressive and gives a closer shave. You cannot go wrong with either slant.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.

― W.C. Fields

I have tried every ATT head except for the H2. I agree, pretty much with everything said here from the excellent engineering/quality to the fantastic customer service. On My Face Anyway, there is something magical about the slants - both the S1 and S2. Both feel mild but shave remarkably efficiently. To those who have tried some of the ATT line and are curious about the slants, this is how I see it:

The Slants Feel Like an M but Shave Like an R.

The S1 is smoother but the S2 is a bit more aggressive and gives a closer shave. You cannot go wrong with either slant.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.

― W.C. Fields

+1.

mrbloagus,
John

I'd definitely like to try the Feather. There was a cautious respect with the R1. Might be approaching apprehension with the H1. I did have a "what the hell am I doing???" moment the first and thus far only (but not last) time I held a straight up to my face and dragged it downward.

Strangely enough, the bloodiest shave I've had was on a DE89 with a Merkur blade. Looked like tiny invisible soldiers fought the Battle of Antietam on my face.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If you would be open to the possibility, I'd be happy to trade you (temporarily) my as-d2 for your M1. We could each try the other's razor for a month or so. PM me if you are interested!

I'd definitely like to try the Feather. There was a cautious respect with the R1. Might be approaching apprehension with the H1. I did have a "what the hell am I doing???" moment the first and thus far only (but not last) time I held a straight up to my face and dragged it downward.

Strangely enough, the bloodiest shave I've had was on a DE89 with a Merkur blade. Looked like tiny invisible soldiers fought the Battle of Antietam on my face.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Damn... The razor was meant to be delivered yesterday. It still is not here. I have a grudge against usps

That's essentially what I do. I started with the Atlas S2, but after using it for a week or so, I ordered the S1 plate. It works much better for me as an everyday shaver, but the S2 will be great when I need to deal with a few day's growth. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I'm not sure the etiquette on asking a general question that is similar to the OP but actually a question for me. If this is inappropriate please let me know.

Anyway, I am about to purchase an ATT kronos but I'm only getting one plate because of price point. I will more than likely purchase another plate in a few months but this razor will be my daily razor. I use an Edwin Jagger at the moment and struggle getting smooth close shave without having to go over and over the same spot. I don't get so much irritation but I tend to get a little raw (maybe this is what some consider irritation) I've used several great blades and my technique is consistent but my beard is simply coarse and thick and grows fast. I have to be clean shaven for work which is why I started DE shaving in the first place, I had a full beard that I kept trimmed for about 10 years.

Can anyone who has used an M1 or an M2 attest to how close of a shave you get on a daily basis. My plan is to get the M plate now and in a few Months get the R plate. I just figured progressing a little at a time might be easier considering I'm coming from an edwin Jagger.

Get the S1. It is more efficient than the M1 (more like an R1), but mild like an M1. Best of both worlds. If you don't like it, Stan will take it back within 30 days (trade or money back).

Get the S1. It is more efficient than the M1 (more like an R1), but mild like an M1. Best of both worlds. If you don't like it, Stan will take it back within 30 days (trade or money back).

+1. I have the S2 (the open comb version), and it's remarkably smooth-shaving given how efficiently it cuts through whiskers. It was the first razor that didn't give me redness and irritation on my neck. I personally like an open-comb design, but some guys don't like the feel of the comb on their face, so an S1 would be the smoother-feeling of the two.

Based on the pictures I feel like the blade exposure is different from the left side of the blade to the right side of the blade. The blade exposure looks like it would be super aggressive on the right side of the razor and barely cut on the left side. This could just be my perception but it looks like it would give an uneven shave. I think I would rather go with a straight comb versus a slant comb. I'm a very symmetrical person.

Based on the pictures I feel like the blade exposure is different from the left side of the blade to the right side of the blade. The blade exposure looks like it would be super aggressive on the right side of the razor and barely cut on the left side. This could just be my perception but it looks like it would give an uneven shave. I think I would rather go with a straight comb versus a slant comb. I'm a very symmetrical person.

The blade exposure is uneven, but the blade is also torqued. It does not give an uneven shave at all. Smooth, efficient and effortless.

As shown in the excellent pictures in this thread, the blade is parallel to the comb and not to the head in the ATT slants. No unevenness in the shave whatsoever.

Top Bottom