What's new

Got a Emperor 3- Worth Getting a M7.

Some months ago I asked the forum whether I should buy a Simpson Polo or a Tulip 4. Well- that thread ended with me buying a Emperor 3 in Super. Thanks Joel.
I just can´t believe how I could missed to pick this beauty up years before.. What a fantastic brush.
Earlier I guess I opted the E3 out because it was/is considered to be a bowl brush. Big mistake. It´s a solid face lathering brush; to my face anyway, and I now regard it as my very favourite brush along with my trusty T3 in Super.

Anyway- here is is my question- I have been eyeballing the M7 for quite some time now. Is it worth getting one??
My choice of gradings is either best or super (as seen below) and I guess I could ask Mark kindly to do a M7 custom order.
So gents- is it worth getting a M7?

For reference I have:

- Persian Jar Super
- Chubby 1 Best
- Chubby 2 Best
- Duke 3 Best
- Tulip 2 2 two-band Super
- Tulip 3 - Super
- Wee Scot
- Colonel
-and of course the beloved Emperor 3 super

Any comments dearly appreciated.

I had an E3 3-band Super for some time and it turned out to be the best lathering brush I had, soaps or creams (on a par with a Rooney Finest). As good looking as it was, I consider the M7 (in faux ivory or butterscotch) to be even more beautiful: the pinnacle of Simpsons brush making, style and substance. If you can get one in 2-band Silvertip, do it -- but the factory isn't making customs any more, in any hair grade. You might have to wait for one to come up on their Twitter page (they posted several for sale over the last holidays) or in the Limited Edition section of their website.

You have 2 Tulips and 2 Chubbys so having brushes which are similar to one another doesn't seem to bother you...

Thanks a lot Ron. Some good advices there. Darn- I must have missed that Simpsons apparently does not do custom at the moment- ever again.
The Supers and Best (in particular) are big fans of mine.

I had an E3 3-band Super for some time and it turned out to be the best lathering brush I had, soaps or creams (on a par with a Rooney Finest). As good looking as it was, I consider the M7 (in faux ivory or butterscotch) to be even more beautiful: the pinnacle of Simpsons brush making, style and substance. If you can get one in 2-band Silvertip, do it -- but the factory isn't making customs any more, in any hair grade. You might have to wait for one to come up on their Twitter page (they posted several for sale over the last holidays) or in the Limited Edition section of their website.

Well my friend- enough of those subtle differences are considered as spices for some you know.
You have 2 Tulips and 2 Chubbys so having brushes which are similar to one another doesn't seem to bother you...

If you're inclined to try a Manchurian M7 in butterscotch, there are 3 in stock right now on the Limited Editions page. A great knot in what I consider to be one of the most beautiful handles available.

I have a Manchurian M7 in my stable and it is indeed a wonderful brush worthy of it's reputation IF you desire a large handled large knotted brush. It is very soft tipped with a little more backbone than you might guess given the size and loft but I find myself currently favoring a little firmer and tighter knot and my go to is an Emporer 1. But... As we all know things go in cycles so I have no regrets for buying the expensive LE, it'll come back around! I think one of the Butterscotch M7’s would be a great score.

Thanks fellows. The M7 handle is haunting me somewhat and sometimes you may just start a thread asking questions but deep in inside you already know that you are going to make a move.

I do like (love) the looks of three bands- but that´s just me- are the Manchurians worth diving into..? The 2-banded super that I got (T2) is fine but somewhat floppier than the others that I tend to reach for more often. Yeah- I know the knot size is a factor of course.
I have not enough deep pockets of buying brushes with the similar handles( with different quality of hairs) but I am positive that some guys do.
I load my brushes with hard soap most of the times.

I know exactly what you mean, I just ordered a camera I really don't HAVE to have but I just couldn't shake it :laugh: I wish I could help you along and just say that the M7 is my absolute favorite for all my shaves but in reality it is more of my luxury shave brush, you know the ones where you feel like a super relaxed luxurious shave with a mountain of lather and although it isn't super floppy for it's size I like it best with creams. It's a little softer than I prefer for picking up hard soaps. If it helps... I still think you should get it, everyone should have one in their rotation and that Butterscotch is just soooo classic! :001_smile

Top Bottom