What's new

New guy from East coast checking in.

Hey B & B community. Long time lurker checking in. After two years of DE shaving and absorbing all the wonderful information on these boards, decided to sign-up and contribute to the knowledge bucket :001_smile.

I started this wonderful ritual because I extremely disliked everything about shaving. I disliked going to the store paying $20+ dollars for cartridges, disliked the dryness the can goo left on my skin, disliked the horrible pulling feeling of running said cartridges on my skin, disliked looking at the horrible shave I got afterwards, and finally, disliked having to repeat that evil cycle over and over.

But thankfully I saw the light by reading an Amazon review and eventually finding myself here. I started with a Merkur 23, a VHD luxury set, a tub of Proraso green, and a blade sampler pack. That first shave with Shark SS blades felt great. Wasn't super close but for the first time since my early teenage years, where I could shave with just water and against the grain on the first pass, crazy I know, my skin didn't feel horrible. It. Was. Amazing. Next shave I got over confident of course and the Sharks let me know with teaching me what razor burn was for the first time in my life..but it was still better than cartridges. :biggrin1: Still I swore never to touch those evil Shark blades again and settled on the Crystals from my pack as my first 100 blades.

Jump two years from then and I'm a Cella/Proraso man, face lathering with an Omega boar(49), retired VDH stand for a nicer one and developed enough technique where I'm in love with the Sharks again. Crystals give me a decent shave with no irritation regardless of the silly things I decide to try on the fly. But Sharks SC/SS give me the best shaves I've ever known if I respect them and stick to technique all the way through.

So yeah, look forward to talking about loving shaving with other members, exchanging blades, and more. And oh yeah, B&B, I blame you for making me an unwise buyer. In the span of two weeks I ended up with 2 tubs of Proraso white, 1 tub of Proraso green, 1 TOBS, and 1 Cella....and it takes me six months to go through a single 5 oz tub. Have to really stop heading into the Shaving Soap section to kill time.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Sounds like you will fit in quite well. Enjoy your time on B&B

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Hello and welcome here.. Great to have you on board. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B. Which TOBS do you have now? How would you compare the TOBS to Cella? I'm thinking about buying a block of Cella.

Thanks for the welcomes. I'll be heading to the Hall of Fame to introduce myself.

Welcome to B&B. Which TOBS do you have now? How would you compare the TOBS to Cella? I'm thinking about buying a block of Cella.

I purchased Eton College and though I wanted to love it really badly, it just didn't live up to the positive reviews. When it comes to ease of lathering and scent, Eton College is amazing. Heck, first few days I found myself opening the tub just to sniff it and the scent it leaves behind on the brush, amazing as well. But Eton College fails at the most important factor for me in regards to soap/cream, slickness. The cream barely has any slickness at all and changing lathering techniques, water to product ratio, etc did nothing to correct it. To me, it's just not slick enough to allow the blade to effortlessly glide like a Cella or Proraso.

So my call would be to go with Cella. The scent of Cella won't impress you like a TOBS will because it just smells like artificial cherries but Cella will give you an extremely slick lather with little effort. It will also leave your skin feeling nice and smooth. All at a price point cheaper than TOBS. Honestly, only have used Cella for 4 shaves after two years of Proraso and 6 shaves of TOBS, and Cella is easily my no.1. Plan on alternating it with Proraso.

Welcome to B&B! Have you checked out any of the artisan soap makers? Plenty of good soaps available to lighten your wallet. :biggrin1:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll move cella up to the top of my buy list. I have some TOBS rose (actually rose geranium). The scent is nice, but it doesn't blow me away. I mainly use it when I don't feel like smelling Arko in the morning, or if I'm putting a new blade into my most aggressive razor.

I'd been thinking about a block of Cella ever since I read a post about it Marco. I'm glad to hear that it is better than TOBS.

Welcome to B&B! Have you checked out any of the artisan soap makers? Plenty of good soaps available to lighten your wallet. :biggrin1:

I..You know what, I'm already 5 tubs in, might as well just lay back and enjoy the ride. :biggrin1:. Any suggestions where I should start looking?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll move cella up to the top of my buy list. I have some TOBS rose (actually rose geranium). The scent is nice, but it doesn't blow me away. I mainly use it when I don't feel like smelling Arko in the morning, or if I'm putting a new blade into my most aggressive razor.

I'd been thinking about a block of Cella ever since I read a post about it Marco. I'm glad to hear that it is better than TOBS.

Glad to help. I do recommend you start with a tub of Cella before committing to the brick. You never know, you might be allergic to an ingredient or find the cherry smell unbearable like some other B & B members have reported. Besides you'll get a cool looking tub out of it. Seriously, it's impressive how they fit 5 oz of product into that little thing.

Once again, thank you for the welcomes guys.

There are so many good ones. Mickey Lee Soapworks, Soap Commander, Catie's Bubbles, Stirling, Tiki...

Thanks for the list to start be off MrSpeedy. Stirling has caught my eye due to the good prices and Catie's, though on the high end(for me), has me interested with their fruit scents. Once I'm down to three tubs I'll stock up again. By the way, if in the future any of you gents comes across an article about a man who shaved every single hair off his body because he "needed a reason to get more product", please just skip past it.

Top Bottom