What's new

Shower Pouf

In my quest to increase bar soap longevity I broke down and battled my bias and ignorance towards the shower pouf. I was a long time believer that these things were a women's grooming and hygiene product. Looking for the things in the store and the thought of taking them to register had me feeling like I was buying tampons or maxi-pads. I've been a bar latherer and wash cloth user my whole life and believed it was working just fine except my bar soap lasts about 1 week. I went so far as to ask an aunt to accompany me to Walmart to purchase the shower pouf for me. I didn't know where look for them but my aunt said she knew and made a bee line for them in the women's grooming isle. The assorted colors of white, pink, purple, lime green and powder blue "Shower Poufs" were before me. The price for the first ones we looked at in the women's isle was $2.69 each. I grabbed two and then decided I needed some male grooming supplies so I went and started looking through the men's section. While looking at some products I found another display of poufs on the shelf of the men's isle but these were labled as "Men's Shower Sponges". There were white ones but someone decided to make some dark gray ones that made the Men's Shower Sponges look a bit like steel wool or a metal pot scrubber. There were also some mixed color ones that were gray and dark blue, gray and maroon and gray and dark green. The Men's shower sponges were priced in at $1.00 each. I quickly put the "shower poufs" back in the woman's sections and grabbed four "Men's shower sponges". I also bought some Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm, some mouthwash and 2 soap dishes. I decided I didn't need my aunt to take my purchases to the register after all.

I have to admit that the Men's poufs I bought do wash extremely well(better than a wash cloth) and with significantly less soap. I rub a bar of Stirling soap on the pouf for 5 seconds and it explodes with thick rich lather. I only have to do that twice a shower. At the rate I'm going I may actually see the fabled bar of soap that lasts 3 or 4 weeks of daily showers. I'm pleased and impressed. I feel like I'm getting cleaner and I'm saving money. Its a win all around. I don't feel weird using a shower poof at all now.

I'm usually able to make soap bars last quite a while longer than 3-4 weeks. If you're looking to try and stretch the life, try using the bar directly on your skin first and then using the loofah (that's what I've always called it) to work up the lather. Think of the soap as a shave stick and the loofah as your brush - you're just face lathering!

Shower poufs are great, they make lather a whole lot easier than a washcloth and are more hygienic because they're easier to rinse and dry more quickly. Interesting that they cost less than half as much in the men's aisle! I found the Salux cloths to be unpleasantly rough.

Soap alone here; I find that washcloths/poufs/etc are much too coarse and abrasive for my delicate, beautiful skin. :thumbup:

I like feeling polished after a shower and I don't see the dead skin being rubbed off after the shower by my towel when I dry myself since I have been using the pouf. I feel cleaner. I shouldn't be this excited by how much longer the bar soap seems to be lasting.

Yes, bath lilies are very sparing with your soap. I have used them for . . . [thinking hard] . . . a very long time . . . 10 years? If you use a soap that is above the price range of your common drug store soap, then these are a great way to extend their life.

I go through a shower scrunchie and a bottle of Irish Spring deep action scrub shower gel once a month. I am not sure what I do to the scrunchies but they end up falling apart into one long mess. My wife introduced the scrunchies to me several years ago and I never looked back.

I go through a shower scrunchie and a bottle of Irish Spring deep action scrub shower gel once a month. I am not sure what I do to the scrunchies but they end up falling apart into one long mess. My wife introduced the scrunchies to me several years ago and I never looked back.

I get about the same usage. A month or two and the knot is so loose that it doesn't retain lather well.

Top Bottom