What's new

New brush prep for Simpson Colonel

Hello,

i received my Simpson brush in today's mail. Being that it's sterilized, (and has no smell) any benefit to shampooing it first or just do the shaving cream overnight (as per wiki) to prep it for the first shave?

Thanks!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Serge; Great choice of your Simpson, you will enjoy it. No break-in required on a badger brush; Just wet it and use it.

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
IMO, just lather and shave. All I ever did with any new brush and they all did just fine

I agree that there is no need to wash the brush before you use it, but just beware that it may have some kind of funky smell once it becomes wet. I would rather have that not happen when I was getting ready to shave...

I always clean a new brush with some shampoo before the first actual use to clean out anything that may have been left in the brush during manufacture (dust, oils, etc.). I have noticed that some of my brushes, two-bands in particular, will actually turn the shampoo and rinse water a light brown color. I'm not sure if this is dye used in the knot or what but it has happened even with some high-end brushes and I'd rather not get that on my face.

Dont soak your brushes in lather overnight , just give it a few hand lathers to get rid of the dust inside the knot and it will be good to go.

I always clean a new brush with some shampoo before the first actual use to clean out anything that may have been left in the brush during manufacture (dust, oils, etc.). I have noticed that some of my brushes, two-bands in particular, will actually turn the shampoo and rinse water a light brown color. I'm not sure if this is dye used in the knot or what but it has happened even with some high-end brushes and I'd rather not get that on my face.
I could be wrong (always a possibility, but it's been at least 6 weeks... :blink:) I don't believe badger brushes -- especially high-end ones -- are dyed. My current badger brush (EJ Best) had a little brown in the first rinse...but no funk ever, and no "browning" thereafter.

This is excellent advice from someone who really does know his brushes...

I used the brush this morning and what an improvement over not having one. At one point I did notice the water was a bit darker, also I did not notice any smell when it was wet, as I checked for it.

I need to work on my lathering skills now. I tried Pacific Shave Cream for the first time and like it a lot. Works out well as it keeps my face from drying out as it is pretty dry here this time of year.

Overall, got a great shave this morning. My wife even commented on good my skin looked, so the DE shaving is going well.

All I do with a new brush is to swish it around in a cup of dish washing detergent and let it soak for about 30 minutes. With a boar hair brush I will do this about 4 times before first use.

Quick question: why dishwashing detergent vs. shampoo? Badgers have hair, not a glaze. :blink:

My first good brush (EJ Best) had no pretreatment/prep. I just put it to use: ran tap water on it to get it thoroughly wet, gently squeezed the water out, and put it to work. I noticed that there was a little brownish water coming off at first water contact, but it stopped in seconds. And no "funk" either (I would expect that using a brush with Tabac would get rid of any funkiness!) The only "prep" addressed in instruction manual for the brush says: "The brush is sterilized -- It should not be boiled." :001_rolle

I would suspect that a Simpson brush is also sterilized and clean, so any prep should be minimal.

I have a Colonel en route, and -- if I do anything to it -- I'll probably wash it with baby shampoo.

This is excellent advice from someone who really does know his brushes...

I do this as well. I'm the last one that would be accused of being a germaphobe, but still feel it's good to clean anything that comes from a factory before the first use. And I too have see some light brown colored water after the first rinse a few times.

Quick question: why dishwashing detergent vs. shampoo? Badgers have hair, not a glaze. :blink:

My first good brush (EJ Best) had no pretreatment/prep. I just put it to use: ran tap water on it to get it thoroughly wet, gently squeezed the water out, and put it to work. I noticed that there was a little brownish water coming off at first water contact, but it stopped in seconds. And no "funk" either (I would expect that using a brush with Tabac would get rid of any funkiness!) The only "prep" addressed in instruction manual for the brush says: "The brush is sterilized -- It should not be boiled." :001_rolle

I would suspect that a Simpson brush is also sterilized and clean, so any prep should be minimal.

I have a Colonel en route, and -- if I do anything to it -- I'll probably wash it with baby shampoo.
Update here...

The Colonel arrived safe and sound today, surviving a coast-to-coast trip at the hands of USPS.

I pulled it out of the box, and ceremoniously removed the tissue paper wrapping. After brief fondling (an essential part of any new brush prep IMHO), I carefully smelled it: no animal odor. If anything, it (faintly) smelled a little sour, like vinegar...not unpleasant.

I then wet it under warm tap water, gently working the water into the brush. No brown(ish) water, no untoward smell.

I then got some baby shampoo and did a few minutes of hand lathering with a dollop of that. Again, no smell, no brown water.

I rinsed it thoroughly in warm water, and then did my usual rolling/gentle-splay towel drying. No smell, other than it smelled...clean...

Noticed that it has started to bloom a bit (I thought it was a little narrow and stiff right out of the box). I think I'm going to like this brush a lot!

It now rests on my shelf, in a holder, awaiting its first tour of duty. Tomorrow, it will meet Mr. Tabac -- and any factory/animal smell will be gone in short order!

Top Bottom