What's new

Had a another break in, reccomend a security camera system.

Step one of the new security system has been procured. Will find some type of audible alarm this week. Broken door has been repaired.
Researching better intrusion resistant mechanisms for the main doors. For now, 8 - cameras that can be monitored by wi-fi on my phone.
These got good reviews and were reasonably priced. 6 cameras for the house and two for the garage workshop.

Good luck! That looks like a great system. Installation can be a pain since they are (I assume) wired?

I have a similar system and an alarm system. They are independent of each other.

A dog would be nice but I would rather buy equipment than add another family member! When my DVR breaks down I won't care. On the other hand, the death of a best friend, not a good time.

A very inexpensive way to add a well optioned out security system, is SimpliSafe. It's all wireless, has full monitoring, and no contracts. I've had one for a couple of years, and it works great. They are really helpful when you are getting started, and trying to get everything working. Only takes a couple of hours, and your whole house is covered: entries, motion, windows, freeze, panic buttons, sirens, fire, everything. I've tested it a bunch of times and its always worked, with a call from the monitors. One time my son left the dog in the house and left the motion sensors on. I didn't have my phone with me, so the monitoring service got no answer. I found out about it from my son who was pulled over by the sheriff's dept., in my pickup, to make sure everything was okay. Only downside I see is that you have a bunch of batteries to replace every year. Still better than dealing with the big alarm companies.

A very inexpensive way to add a well optioned out security system, is SimpliSafe. It's all wireless, has full monitoring, and no contracts. I've had one for a couple of years, and it works great. They are really helpful when you are getting started, and trying to get everything working. Only takes a couple of hours, and your whole house is covered: entries, motion, windows, freeze, panic buttons, sirens, fire, everything. I've tested it a bunch of times and its always worked, with a call from the monitors. One time my son left the dog in the house and left the motion sensors on. I didn't have my phone with me, so the monitoring service got no answer. I found out about it from my son who was pulled over by the sheriff's dept., in my pickup, to make sure everything was okay. Only downside I see is that you have a bunch of batteries to replace every year. Still better than dealing with the big alarm companies.
+1 we have been very happy with SimpliSafe as well

Never had a break in, but I do have a lot of high dollar stuff in view - wood shop, observatory, obviously a hunter, etc... When the trailer is not next to the shop it is obvious we are not home. It started bugging me about a year ago. I looked at the commercial cams available and didn't want to pay what they get for good ones, with their limited capabilities.

What I have done is to put 5 Raspberry Pi micro computers, with cameras, at and in various areas around the property. Cost is about $75 per setup. Each has a mini web server running so I can access live video from anywhere we go. They are also motion based, so when 1500 pixels change they start recording video, and continue until motion ceases, to a central Apache 2 server that is also running on a Raspberry Pi. Some of the Pi's I have temperature and humidity sensor on, so if we are out of town and there is a jump in the basement humidity I can call the son to go check the house and ensure a pipe is not leaking, etc. The Pi in the shop I am working on a control system for the HVAC so I can turn on the heat and AC from the house, and set the temperature.

A decent understanding of Linux is required, but the Raspberry Pi is mature enough that I frequently find existing code to accomplish what I need with minimal modification.
Since your a hunter, I would add a freezer/fridge monitoring capability. You dont want to be gone a week and find that the freezer broke and your meat went bad.

Top Bottom