What's new

Considering going to a straight

New member and 1st post, so thanks in advance for the advice and answers. Some quick background, I have about 2 years of DE shaving under my belt with a Merkur 37C (slant bar) and feather blades--my preferred for some time now after trying many brands of blades. Both are considered aggressive, but I get great results. I have a heavy beard, and shave 5-6 days per week. I've got my technique and prep down, and, like many here (I suspect) I own a few other razors (but I rarely use them now, I like the slant bar), many creams and soaps, and after shaves. I've been growing my beard out now for 2 months now (first time ever) but plan to get rid of that by May. It's keeping my face warm during this cold Chicago winter.

Compared to my pre-DE shaving days, where shaving was just a chore that had to be done, I enjoy shaving and wake up earlier just to go through my routine. (I'm still shaving my neck and cheeklines with the beard, but do miss shaving my entire face). Suffice to say I enjoy the process, and am intrigued by possibly going to a straight.

So, considering going to a straight razor, but will the results really be that much better, once beyond the learning curve stage? I know that no one can definitely answer that question, just looking for opinions of others who were once in the same place. How was your experience?

Thanks again all!

My normal DE shave was a two pass ATG and an ATG with an ATT R2 open comb. Now at 90 some shaves into a straight, I can exceed anything I ever got from a DE, and have been for a while. However, I have incorporated an additional XTG pass in between, and I do a cleanup with lather on the neck/\law line. So not really an apples to apples comparison.

Another thing that appears to be pretty universal is that a straight shave seems to have more staying power as the day wears on than a DE shave. Other factors other than shaving technique come into play as well like the sharpness and keenness of the edge, stropping technique, etc.

A straight is only a razor blade. Given that it's properly sharp and used in the right circumstances, any sharp edge can provide the closest shave possible. Any further down, and you're removing the wrong skin.

The learning curve is substantial to obtain the fabled "BBS" with a straight. You'll start by working towards acceptable.

The results won't be significantly different. It's the journey, not the destination, blah blah. :001_smile

I will say that it was impossible for me to go against the grain without "weepers" on my neck until I used a straight. Goes through like butter with no irritation. I suspect the weight of the blade would be the reason.

New member and 1st post, so thanks in advance for the advice and answers.

... So, considering going to a straight razor, but will the results really be that much better, once beyond the learning curve stage? I know that no one can definitely answer that question, just looking for opinions of others who were once in the same place. How was your experience?

Thanks again all!

Of course as you may have come to learn your going to get a lot of YMMV replies. Here goes mine!

I recommend you pick up a vintage razor in good condition ebay or a Sight unseen from Larry at Whipped Dog. You'll need a strop (look at what Larry has). Make sure you have the razor honed professionally. If you buy on ebay beware of the infamous "Shave Ready" claim. Try your hand at it and see if you enjoy it.

I have shaved with almost everything short of broken glass (planning that for next week). I have used DEs, SEs, (open and closed comb), Slants, Straights. One thing that really makes a Straight razor shave last longer is pulling the skin tight during shaving. I makes the whiskers stand out more and provides a closer shave.

Straight razors take much more upkeep and maintenance. You need the equipment to maintain an edge, and probably hones to refresh your edge. Alternatively you can ship it out to a Homemeister to get the edge back.

It is a very different learning curve. The angles for your hands take some practice. I encourage Straight shavers to learn to use both hands. Straights can be unforgiving to someone that is not paying attention.

I enjoy shaving with straights, but I am rushed when shaving for work. So work mornings I usually use a DE or SE. Weekends are for taking my time with a long shower and straight shave.

Much appreciate (all); as far as e-bay goes, I'd probably avoid that but I had heard of Whipped Dog and have looked at the site. As far as those razors go, including the sight unseen, do they come professionally honed? I would consider buying from him, if so. My next question would have to do with recommended vendors, and razors (brands, sizes and so on) for beginners, but, I am sure I can find plenty that information in other threads.

It depends on what you describe as better. Im going to guess that your shaves may not be better, kind of what was described above as close is close. I enjoy a slant/feather combo on occasion but the straight razor shave is a completely different feel. Almost Indescribable. An edge is not an edge and the feel is unique and more comfortable to me.

In regard to Larry at whipped dog, yes they come ready to shave. You don't even need to strop the first time. It's a great way to see how it should feel.

Much appreciate (all); as far as e-bay goes, I'd probably avoid that but I had heard of Whipped Dog and have looked at the site. As far as those razors go, including the sight unseen, do they come professionally honed? I would consider buying from him, if so. My next question would have to do with recommended vendors, and razors (brands, sizes and so on) for beginners, but, I am sure I can find plenty that information in other threads.

+1 on whipped dog. Get the poor man strop set too.. This is what I started with.

I can't comment on comparing it to DE, because I skipped DE entirely ;)

Don't sweat the what brands at first. Get your first one that's sharp, and worry about stropping and shaving technique for a while.

Took me a while to get going well, you may be quicker at getting the hang of it with DE experience. but just jump in!

I am just starting to pick it up so I haven't quite gotten my technique down yet. I will say that although currently it takes me longer to do, it is a more enjoyable experience for me than a DE shave. Just my weekend shave for now.

Just to update all, made the leap and purchased a sight unseen razor and poor man's strop from Whipped Dog as recommended. Seemed like the easiest, budget friendly way to intro myself to SR shaving. My intention was to keep the beard until May, but once the straight comes, I don't think I will be able to wait to try it out and begin to learn to use it. So, the beard will likely go sooner than expected. Thanks again all for sharing information.

Last edited:
Top Bottom