What's new

The Big Shave West - April 25, Pasadena CA

I was going to go but all the tickets were sold out. I had to work yesterday and I would have got there at 3 or so and didn't know if it was worth going anymore.

RATS!!!, Truck broke down Wednesday and had to cancel the trip. Looks like it was a blast!, hopefully they will do it again

Alright! For those that made it...

Share any pickups you made while there

Share an interesting moment, conversation or highlight for you.

I picked up a Rockwell Razor! Totally impulse, drawn to the steel. I don't need it and I doubt it's ground breaking for me, but i couldn't help it.

And I have an appreciation now for Douglas Smythe and his products. Meeting him, chatting with him, how he hooked up my kid for helping with the Spin the Wheel, and getting to smell all his soaps... I was impressed and liked the guy! I didn't pay any attention to all that controversy, but it doesn't matter to me after meeting him.

As a new wet shaver I decided to go to gain some knowledge and smell and feel some different soaps and razors. I experienced a wide range of products that I will be sure to enjoy in the near future.

It was great! I was surprised at how many vendors were there. I was also surprised to see podcasters like Busta from "ShaveBusta" and Con Kazantzidis from "Shave the Man". While I was there it was pretty crowded so I did not get much smooching done. :blush:

The SWMBO went with me, and despite that, I still managed to spent too much money. :w00t:

I had great conversations with many of the vendors. Especially Todd from St. James of London (a really great guy!), Scott from Captain's Choice (a longtime B&B member and also really great guy), I, too, have a new appreciation for Douglas Smythe after chatting at great length with him and Frances. He was funny, informative and very friendly. Also, Andrew French, the founder and owner of Castle Forbes was very interesting to talk to.

I bought the following: St. James of London Orange & Patchouli Cream: this was a tough choice. ALL of their scents are amazing. I shaved with it yesterday and the cream is just fantastic. Creightons has done it again! Chiseled Face Groomatorium Trade Winds Shaving Soap: This smells great. I can't wait to try it. PAA Dapper Doc's Aftershave: The only reason I didn't buy the soap, too, was the shop was out of it. One of the best scents I've ever smelled. My final purchase was a t-shirt from SoSharpLimited.com. This company is owned by David Gonzalez, who does YouTube videos, and is just a great guy. Really nice and totally into shaving!

I was also very happy to meet David from RazorBladesandMore.com. I've bought from him many times over the years and it was nice to see him in person.

Didn't meet any B&Bers, though! I guess everyone wants to stay anonymous!! :001_huh:

I had great conversations with many of the vendors. Especially Todd from St. James of London (a really great guy!), Scott from Captain's Choice (a longtime B&B member and also really great guy), I, too, have a new appreciation for Douglas Smythe after chatting at great length with him and Frances. He was funny, informative and very friendly. Also, Andrew French, the founder and owner of Castle Forbes was very interesting to talk to.

I bought the following: St. James of London Orange & Patchouli Cream: this was a tough choice. ALL of their scents are amazing. I shaved with it yesterday and the cream is just fantastic. Creightons has done it again! Chiseled Face Groomatorium Trade Winds Shaving Soap: This smells great. I can't wait to try it. PAA Dapper Doc's Aftershave: The only reason I didn't buy the soap, too, was the shop was out of it. One of the best scents I've ever smelled. My final purchase was a t-shirt from SoSharpLimited.com. This company is owned by David Gonzalez, who does YouTube videos, and is just a great guy. Really nice and totally into shaving!

I was also very happy to meet David from RazorBladesandMore.com. I've bought from him many times over the years and it was nice to see him in person.

Didn't meet any B&Bers, though! I guess everyone wants to stay anonymous!! :001_huh:

Yes! Todd was a very cool guy and I almost bought the Black Pepper and Lime! Smelled really good but I told myself no new software unless I absolutely had to have it, so I didn't get it. But my Dad bought the Lavender Geranium and also liked Todd a lot. We talked to him on a couple separate occasions in passing and I thought this was hilarious: He asked us if we'd bought any St. James stuff yet, and I said we hadn't, good natured guy banter/ribbing stuff... So I said, ok Todd, sell me on it, go! He cracked me up and said, "Well, when you use a St. James product its guaranteed to make your lady want to rip your clothes off." BAM, SOLD! LOL

Yes! Todd was a very cool guy and I almost bought the Black Pepper and Lime! Smelled really good but I told myself no new software unless I absolutely had to have it, so I didn't get it. But my Dad bought the Lavender Geranium and also liked Todd a lot. We talked to him on a couple separate occasions in passing and I thought this was hilarious: He asked us if we'd bought any St. James stuff yet, and I said we hadn't, good natured guy banter/ribbing stuff... So I said, ok Todd, sell me on it, go! He cracked me up and said, "Well, when you use a St. James product its guaranteed to make your lady want to rip your clothes off." BAM, SOLD! LOL

That's awesome! I wanted to buy all of the St. James. They all smelled great. I had a hard time narrowing it down to one.

Well I picked up some Captains Choice Bay Rum soap, the sample I had was awesome so I couldn't resist.

And the big part of the day was I finally met CyberJCM! Talked for a while with John, his son and his dad. Great to finally meet you my friend!

Well I picked up some Captains Choice Bay Rum soap, the sample I had was awesome so I couldn't resist.

And the big part of the day was I finally met CyberJCM! Talked for a while with John, his son and his dad. Great to finally meet you my friend!

And you as well, Paul! It was a surprise chance meeting, since I totally missed your message! But that's great because I would have been bummed if we hadn't crossed paths, and I'm glad you took the chance of being weird and asking me lol. It was good times and a good conversation!

All of us California B&B guys gotta get more organized for next year and really represent!

What is a thread without pictures? Here are two quick snaps I took, one in the store and the other in a portion of the building. There were well over 400 attending this... was it a trade show / was it a convention / was it a gathering / or was it a shaving event? VERY good question - no matter the name it was a blast.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Scott, it was great meeting you! I'm the guy who mentioned that the first time I bought your aftershave, it was in the clear bottle with no restricter!

Top Bottom