What's new

+1 on carts not being evil

Had to get ready quick today & used a Mach3 instead of the full DE routine.
I've seen other posts & agree that carts are not evil, just a different tool.

Each person's preference is what they should go with, I know when I started it took some time & I almost went back to the cart full time. Stuck it out & now enjoy the DE.

But if you're not fully awake & need to rush, hard to beat a cart. Mindless & safe can be good.

I prefer the full experience but even w/ a cart & better pre & post shave elements the experience can be a solid B+.

So to sum it up, I'd say that any newbies that don't fully adopt all parts should definitely still ditch the goo. Good soap & AS make it still a good experience instead of a chore.

I gotta try me one of them thar cart razors one day.

I've bought 2 so far an old 2 blade and a 5 blade (I think it has 5 blades bought it on woot and never really looked at it)

They did not exist when I started shaving and I never had the curosity to try one. Maybe before I check out I will get around to using one of the 2 I bought

+1 to the above. Carts have their place in the shaving universe but not the same shave as a DE shave, but not evil.

I could never get on board with the promotion of the 'newer' systems, BUT I will happily endorse what works for me, the TracII, and on the disposable side, the Good News. I don't have them in use hardly much at all, but they perform well for me when I do!

Some will find this humorous but for many years I had no idea you were "supposed" to do more than a single pass. I would shave daily with 2 and then 3 blade carts making one single pass after patting on some foam from a can. Oddly, the results were generally very good. When Gillette released the Mach 3, they were spectacular, and I would have to really be sloppy to experience a nick or abrasion.

The advantage to carts obviously is there is no need for the user to be concerned with angle. I would use the same cart for anywhere from one to two months depending, which usually equated to 5 shaves a week of the light "morning after" stubble.

But now I'm 100% DE, not because I hate carts, but because I love the artistry of the DE experience.

There've been posts and articles here and elsewhere. The general conclusion is much the same. If you have a day's growth or less, and you consider shaving to be a chore, and you want to get it over in one pass, or if you have never even heard of the multi-pass shave, then the cartridge is the way to go. Evan an enthusiast may return to cartridges if and when the clock becomes the master.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

I've bought 2 so far an old 2 blade and a 5 blade (I think it has 5 blades bought it on woot and never really looked at it)

They did not exist when I started shaving and I never had the curosity to try one. Maybe before I check out I will get around to using one of the 2 I bought

Do it! I've heard you say this since I joined :tongue_sm

I can shave faster and better in one pass with a DE than with a multi-blade, I never got along with them. I did switch to DE from straights to save time, though. Straights are awesome but I really spent way too much time with them (not just shaving). Things are more normal now with DEs.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
If you want to try a cart minus the expense and clogging get the single blade Gillitte Guard. WestCoastShaving imports them from India; Look under "other razors" on their website. I bought one for my son to convert him from the overpriced Fusion and one for myself to try because they're so cheap. It's a quick trouble free shave when you're short on time.

I never properly learned cart technique, instead I started growing a beard because I didn't like hacking up my face. When I started shaving recently, I tried a few carts while I waited for my SEs to arrive in the mail. I'd rather quickly face lather with Arko and do a fast single pass with a new blade on my OCMM if I'm in a hurry than put a cart to my face. I don't think carts are evil, but I just don't understand how to use them.

A cart hacks up my face and makes it difficult to feel at first. At least with the fairly aggressive OCMM I know what the blade is doing at all times.

I use my Gillette fusion ball all the time, for quickie shaves.

Some will find this humorous but for many years I had no idea you were "supposed" to do more than a single pass. I would shave daily with 2 and then 3 blade carts making one single pass after patting on some foam from a can. Oddly, the results were generally very good. When Gillette released the Mach 3, they were spectacular, and I would have to really be sloppy to experience a nick or abrasion.

The advantage to carts obviously is there is no need for the user to be concerned with angle. I would use the same cart for anywhere from one to two months depending, which usually equated to 5 shaves a week of the light "morning after" stubble.

But now I'm 100% DE, not because I hate carts, but because I love the artistry of the DE experience.

Pretty much sums up my experience. Now that I've finally learned how to shave properly, using a cart with light pressure and WTG, XTG and ATG produces results every bit a good, and with a lot less time. However, I just can't fall in live with a plastic razor next to a timeless DE beauty.

Using "evil" in a topic like this might be a bit incendiary ... I'd probably use the word "pointless" to describe cartridges, instead. Once you get the DE technique down, you can do a one-pass DE shave just as quickly as with a cart, and without much more mental effort, and the results are as good. The only thing you need is the patience to figure out the DE in the first place.

My brother hated DE shaving when I let him try it a few months ago. He came over to my house two weekends ago and forgot his goo. Lucky for him I had a brush and some Proaso waiting for him on the counter. He smiled and told me his life changed that morning when he figured out much better the experience was.

My brother hated DE shaving when I let him try it a few months ago. He came over to my house two weekends ago and forgot his goo. Lucky for him I had a brush and some Proaso waiting for him on the counter. He smiled and told me his life changed that morning when he figured out much better the experience was.

So do we have a new member?

Top Bottom