What's new

Noob honing question

I have my Aloxite No. 200 hone, which I'm told is about a 5 or 6k equivalent. I'm wondering if I should be able to hone a blade enough with that hone to get a sharp enough blade to have a clean, tug free shave?

Essentially, is it my in experience or is the hone not fine enough for me to get the blade as sharp as I need it?

If what you are being told is accurate that would be an intermediate stone. It could be useful, but if you start with a pro honed razor, and stay away from pastes, it is a lower grit than you likely need. Tell us more about the razors you are honing.

It's a Wade & Butcher that I picked up from an antique store. It was dull from the start and I need to practice honing, so that's what I'm using. I'm getting it somewhat sharp but it seems like I just need it a little bit sharper to get a good enough edge for a tug free shave.

With another razor that I have that was sharp and honed when I got it, that one shaves very well but I didn't hone it, nor have I put it again this particular hone. I can hold it at about 30 degrees and it gives me very clean, close shaves. The W&B, I have to angle it out even further to above 45 degrees to really get any kind of cut to my stubble. Both razors are 5/8

Last edited:
As Avenolpy pointed out, you seem to have a mid-range stone. Probably too slow for bevel set, but not fine enough for a comfortable shave. It is difficult to tell if you are dealing with a bevel that is not completely set, or if the discomfort is coming from the fact that you are shaving off of a 5K stone. Given your description, I suspect the bevel has yet to be set fully. If you have a jewelers loupe, you could inspect the scratch pattern all the way to the apex of the bevel to see if you are hitting it across the entire blade. If you are, on both sides, then you could apply the Doc226 cherry tomato cutting test across the blade. With a set bevel, it should cut the skin easily across the entire blade. If the bevel is set, then you are dealing with an edge that is too rough to give you comfort, and a finer grit stone is in order.

If you need to use crazy angles to shave they are not shave ready.

That one barbers hone is not enough to do anything to benefit you by itself. Especially if it is a coarser one. Send one or both blades out to be professionally honed.

Then invest in at least a 1k King stone(or better) and a small fine Jnat or coticule.(Or naniwa 12k. Or something nicer if you want to splurge) The aloxite might be fast enough to follow a 1k with some work and you want a finisher after that. Or you can get different grits of stropping compound but it would be more complicated.

Basically you need-

Bevel Setter - 1k stone or equivalent
Mid Grit - 3-6k synth(possibly your B-hone) or a coticule
Finisher - 12k equivalent stone (Synth, Jnat, Coti, Thuri etc.)

Those are you basic needs. You can always add more stones but you need at least 3 different grades of abrasive to be successful without struggling.

The Aloxite 200 is not a 5-6k equivalent, it's a very competant touch up hone. Grit ratings are, IMO, useless here but to make a comparison - I'd say they're able to maintain an 8k+ JIS edge easily.

For that to hold true though - the hone has to be in good shape, lapped, surfaced and conditioned correctly and then used correctly.

You will not be able to hone an edge from scratch on one.
But you will be able to maintain a decent shaving edge with one.

Top Bottom