What's new

MF Rangefinders or TLR

I absolutely love medium format. My only system is an RB67. I got it for an awesome price, so no complaints there. It is a little big and clunky. Not impossible to hand hold, but not the ideal camera to bring along on family outings.

This has gotten me wondering about MF rangefinders. I'm intrigued by the Mamiya 7, but just can't justify the cash outlay for that system. I'd also consider TLRs as well. I'm thinking a rangefinder may be better for casual walk around shooting, but there are also advantages to waist level finders when casually shooting.

Basically I'm looking for a MF camera to compliment my larger camera. Something that I can just grab and go. I'm ok with or without a built in meter. Using the RB67 that has no meter has taught me a lot about exposure. Also, the pocket meter app on the iPhone works really darn well in trickier situations.

I'd be interested to hear any suggestions you may have.

Thanks, I'll check into those.

Speaking of 645, how do some of the 645 SLR's check out? I've heard they handle a lot like a slightly larger 35mm/digital SLR. I'm not necessarily opposed to that either as I do regularly bring along my DSLR or an analog one. I don't need it to fit into a pocket, as long as it could be carried on a strap.

Last edited:
The 645 cameras I've used are the Mamiya 645 PRO TL, Mamiya 645 AF, and the Contax 645.

I found the Mamiyas slightly awkward in my hands. The balance just didn't feel right to me but if I used the grip the handling did improve.

The Contax 645 handled very much like a larger 35mm SLR. I found it to be ergonomic with great handling plus it was very easy to use. Also, the Zeiss lenses are superb.

I'm loving my Yashica TLRs lately. High quality lenses, inexpensive and sturdy, as long as you pick up a working one that hasn't been abused (which could apply to just about anything, I suppose). For a minimal outlay you can try one out and see if you like it. . .

I've been intrigued by the TLRs. I may just have to get one anyways...

One other thing...does anyone have experience with the Pentax 67? Its a monster camera by all means. I've also hear that the shutter sound is akin to a high speed rifle.

This Yashicamat 124G is the last MF camera I still own and use. It shoots both 120 and 220 film.

The camera handles well and is easy to use, it even has a built in meter, and they can still be found for reasonable prices.

$124G1.jpg

Thanks!

The more I look at them, the more I think a TLR is the route to go. They are not a pocket camera, but thats not what I'm looking for. I've also been interested in some infrared photography, and TLRs are definitely the route to go on that front.

I loved my Rolleiflex. Simple, elegant, great lens (mine had a Xenotar but they're all great). Very handholdable, the WLF gives you a very stable stance. A whole lot easier to carry and use than an RB. And not having any choice in lenses is kind of liberating, you learn to make do with the single lens and how to work with that.

I only got got rid of mine because digital is just so much easier than taking film to a lab (never really got into doing my own B&W) but if I were still using film I'd still be using my Rolleiflex.

The Pentax 67 is a monster; never used one, but my understanding is that the "mirror slap" is a limiting factor on how the camera can be used. Best place to ask questions on these cameras is the APUG site. I have an old Mamiya 645 1000S that I occasionally use; it's a bit awkward to handle with the prism (a handle helps)- easier with the WLF. I would try a TLR if you can find a good one.

I'm on APUG, but decided to post here because some people there can get too opinionated.

I'm currently eyeing a Yashica Mat 124 on KEH right now. I'll probably pull the trigger and ask my wife to wrap it for my "birthday present" since my birthday is on Thursday.

Got in the Yashica Mat 124 from KEH today. They really delivered. $119 because it was rated "UG". I swear this almost looks brand new.

I have some film loaded, but no chance to shoot. This is going to be a fun little camera.

I think it comes down to how much you want to spend. Price no object, the Mamiya 7II rangefinders are awesome. Each year, Mamiya of America would bring all their products to our school and let us run wild for a day. I always liked the 7II. Super quiet, easy to use, didn't feel like it was getting in the way of the connection between you and your subject. On the other hand, you could finance a small island nation with what a complete setup is going to cost!

Because of that, my working MF camera has always been a Mamiya C330f TLR. Relatively quiet, easy to use and reliable, excellent image quality, and using it with a chimney (rather than the reflex finder) positions it for use in a way that doesn't give you tunnel vision. It's been an effective workhorse camera for me since the late 90s.

Last edited:
I had just about all the cameras mentioned in this thread. (MF addiction!) The money my Mamiya 7ii was worth caused me to let it go. Awesome camera - but I still have many more. I say, get the Mamiya - you won't rest until you do.

ray

Legion

Staff member
I have a Mamiya C330 kit somewhere. Great camera!

I have owned 645, but always found the neg, and particularly the trannies to be just that bit small. Their didnt seem to be enough of a step up from 35mm.

I have owned 645, but always found the neg, and particularly the trannies to be just that bit small. Their didnt seem to be enough of a step up from 35mm.
That's been my take as well. A lot heavier, a lot more expensive, not much better image quality. I've always been partial to 6x6, 6x7, and 6x17.

Top Bottom