What's new

PIF for anyone having a rough time

The PIF -

A Pearl open comb razor with an acrylic handle (the same head as the Cadet/Matador open combs - on the aggressive side). I need to clean some soap scum off of it, but it is in good condition (I think)
2 pucks of Stirling soap (vanilla tangerine and coconut)
A small sample of Maria Arman's Quench soap (she makes the Maggard's, but her personal line looks like they have more complex scents)

View attachment 552445View attachment 552446View attachment 552447

The concept -

After some ideas were talked about in a different thread, here's the idea. The PIF is open to anyone who
a) wants the razor/soaps
b) is going through a "rough patch"/tough times or just generally needs something to cheer them up
c) is willing to do something nice as the way of "paying it forward". This can be anything that you like - helping someone with groceries, calling the relative who doesn't get called much, making dinner for someone who doesn't expect it, et cetera

Sharing stories or ideas is welcome but not required. Again, this is all on the honor system. My magic crystal ball is broken this week (parts on order).

At the end of a week (let's say midnight next Wednesday, March 4, at midnight Pacific time), I'll metaphorically put everyone's name into a hat and randomly pick the winner. Anyone with an interesting or notable way of paying it forward gets 2 votes.

If anyone has any ideas on how to refine the idea during the PIF, feel free to post it as the rules above aren't carved in stone.

Addendum - anyone who wants to PM me and remain anonymous, please feel free to do so. You can simply say, "I'm in" with no explanation whatsoever.

Last edited:
NOT IN, but this is a great PIF idea. I hope people step up, its hard to admit when you are having a rough time, but we all have been there. You sir are a gentlemen!

Very nice PIF; thank you. I'd like to partake. Tomorrow will mark my 6th shave with a shavette. Fingers crossed I'll have at least one less nick as I have been getting.

Not in (my rough patch has smoothed out), but to get the ideas coming. 6 years ago I along with my family (wife and kids) and the mother in law, her significant other and adult handicap daughter moved from Southern California to Pennsylvania. Why? Things are better here. Well they seemed to be. After a year of Pa the mother in law and her man decided without a word to move back to California. Now that left my family with a major problem. See we had an agreement going. We would all split the bills and save for separate places in due time. Well my family wasn't doing to good financially. We had been paying the bills for 8 and they had been saving. Now they had been paying rent but the major expenses were on us. So we had nothing saved. We had zero credit (major car accident before moving) and nowhere to go. They had already started packing and moving what the couldn't take into a self storage unit. So here I am with 3 kids and a wife with nothing and nowhere to go. We had sold everything to move here so now we had to start over. One night days before the lease expired on the house me and the wive even talked about homeless shelters. We tried every charity and nothing. Luckily by chance my wife overheard someone talk about a new apartment complex that was accepting applications. What did we have to loose? So we walked in and talked to the manager. She really went the extra mile for us. She overlooked the credit and took our word for it. Sure we had no furniture but we had a roof over our heads. Slowly we got what we needed. Mostly second hand but that's alright. Now 6 years later things are better. Not great but a hell of a lot better. Now I try to help out others as much as I can. Because I never know what the future holds and if it wasn't for others I'd be in a much worse place.

Last edited:
Not in. I am fortunate enough to not experience a rough patch. I think a good idea for the pay forward would be to teach a workshop on wet shaving using these products at a homeless shelter or group home with men who need assistance with daily living skills.

I'm not IN, but this a great PIF idea, plus the PIF items are very generous indeed. Someone is definitely going to get all cheered up.

Tepp, Since you're not getting a great response from this I figure many people who might be down just aren't coming forward out of pride. You may want to change your approach and do something more silently in this case since people might not like to admit that they've fallen on some hard times.

This thread stood out to me a while back as one that contained some people that could benefit greatly from some upgrades.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...and-from-the-Frugal-Shaver?highlight=williams

This thread and others like it might be a place that you'd want to find someone to reach out to more quietly.

Good luck with the PIF, I'm sure someone is going to be thrilled with it.

Thank you,
David

I'm in. I wrote on your original post. Things are getting better for me (I received a transplant), but have not returned to the work force yet. One of the things I like about this forum is seeing the number of people who are willing to step up and help others. The small things in life are remembered the most.

I'm in.
Gleaners is having a food drive at Kroger soon, so I'll do my best to match the worth of the PIF for the families that benefit from these food pantries.
we used them when I was younger and I like to get "real stuff" for them. I remember the weird stuff we used to get, but don't get me wrong it was a big help to my mom.
Thanks.
Good luck to the winner, whomever it is!!!
Thanks for the great PIF!!!

Last edited:
Not in. But this is a great idea........You may even want to allow people to PM you that they are in and share privately there rough patch. Just an idea. Great pif though!!!

I'm in unfortunately......
I've had/having a rough 2015.
My father who was having a normal life in November was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, he was given 8 months to live. He went through radiation that left him so weak he was unable to continue, he died two weeks ago. In that time I had gotten sick myself three times in December and was unable to see for a couple of weeks due to being so sick. My wife at the end of December was admitted to the hospital due to an ulcer she was there for 5 days. As soon as she recovered she went to work and broke her leg (compound fracture) She was in the hospital and an in-patient rehab for almost 3 weeks. So now for the next 6 weeks or so she needs help doing almost everything. She is normally in a wheelchair (since childhood) now that her leg is broke her mobility is almost zero. Lucky that my son is 7 and has been a great help to her when I am at work. It's been rough these last couple of months but things are beginning to normalize. I'll be glad when my wife is able to regain her previous mobility that should be in a couple of months. LUCKY that my life does not normally have this much drama. I guess when it rains it pours.

My Step-mother (fathers wife) is now spending more time at the churches food bank. If I am lucky enough to get this PIF I will make a generous donation and help out a bit.

If I was not going through this I would think this is a bad soap opera plot.

I'd love to be in! I feel kinda bad about entereng a tin of PIFs but as a high schooler with No job, it's pretty much the only way I'll get to try stuff. All the stuff I don't like will be given to my dad, as in trying to put together a starter kit for him for his bday.

Top Bottom